DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 10/18/2022

The Natural

5 hours ago, Hamhock said:

I could seriously get into Wheeler Yuta - Destroyer of AEW Cliches:

• he refuses to do backstage interviews because that's where everyone gets attacked
  • when doing an in-ring or ramp/entrance interview, he waits a full 30 seconds after the first question while looking back at the entrance before answering, because that's when everyone gets interrupted
  • he immediately brings out weapons during a match, forcing the refs to remove the weapon or DQ him
  • he leaves the ring and compels the ref to count, and urges them to hurry up

Wheeler Yuta bizarro Danny Davis ultra enforcer of the rule could work. DQ for closed fists, strict enforcement of tag rules, ten counts, full body checks before matches

• Like 3

Got me picturing Yuta as a mashup of Drew Gulak/Tim Duncan. Can't remember which players it was but they talked about how Duncan was sly with the trash talk, coaching them during games about what he was gonna do and what they might try to do to stop him

But also Yuta marching to ringside Drew Gulak style telling the flippy do's to tighten up their submissions, more fists less flips style ?  Or Yuta wrestling someone and coaching them on escape attempts then trapping them and getting the W instantly

• Like 3

6 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

The KO Show main evented one of their Mania shows this year, so they probably think this counts as a serious effort. 

I thought AEW was easily the better lineup.  But I’m not convinced it makes a lot of sense to give away too much on a night your ratings are going to be off, regardless.  I guess it depends how important bragging rights are, lol.  

I thought the AEW card was great.  I never considered actually watching it.  I watched a MLB playoff game.  If that hadn’t been on, I would have watched NBA.  If The NBA hadn’t started, I would have watched NHL.  Tuesday night was loaded.  AEW put on a solid show with some interesting title matches, but it would have been my sixth or seventh viewing option.

WWE got a respectable rating out of the night without giving away any big matches.  Maybe that was the smarter way to go?

Edited by madl
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, madl said:

I thought AEW was easily the better lineup.  But I’m not convinced it makes a lot of sense to give away too much on a night your ratings are going to be off, regardless.  I guess it depends how important bragging rights are, lol.  

I thought the AEW card was great.  I never considered actually watching it.  I watched a MLB playoff game.  If that hadn’t been on, I would have watched NBA.  If The NBA hadn’t started, I would have watched NHL.  Tuesday night was loaded.  AEW put on a solid show with some interesting title matches, but it would have been my sixth or seventh viewing option.

WWE got a respectable rating out of the night without giving away any big matches.  Maybe that was the smarter way to go?

WWE could get away with not giving big matches because that's their day anyway. The viewers don't have to adjust their schedules except to hop over to AEW as opposed to Dynamite which was deposed from its normal day and didn't have its built in audience available on Wednesday as they might be other Tuesday watchers

• Like 2

I honestly thought Darby and Lethal were standing in an empty pool.  

Storm and Shida was very good.  It’s weird how underwhelmed I get upon Shidas entrance.  But when the bell rings she wins me over every time.  As noted here recently.  That “Barracuda” rip off stinks.  More like Boo-acuda.

Really liked the booking of the Trios Title match as a follow up to PAC losing the AAC.  I’m not married to the idea that every story has to vine swing from week to week.  You can and should back burner stuff now and then.  But when it can support a hot opener at least you don’t have to put your most name value talent up front all the time.

Jericho stays on tv week to week and he is definitely making the most of it.  Castle was perfect here.  Sign him and The Boys if they aren’t already.  An act tailored to this audience.  Hager was fun too.  JAS>Inner Circle.  

I am so ready for Riho/Hayter.  Let’s fucking go.  Riho being ragdolled like a hummingbird in a tornado is relevant to my interests.

MJF hugging a cartoonishly large poker chip like a plush toy continues to harsh my mellow.  That dueling promo battle was one for the ages.  Chefs kiss.

The crowd straight up LOLing at the irony of even bothering to ring the bell at that point in the title match tickled my GenX gland.  “Yes yes.  NOW the match begins”.

PIP was a bit better this time around with more actual commentary (there was some goofery).  I was whining recently that they need to not go off route for the sake of an eventual streaming service and the quality of the archive.  Hi Tony.

Poor Hanger man.  It goes without saying how much that sucks.  Sucks!  

I guess you can still make hay with calling it a KO.  If Hanger can make a comeback I’m here for it.

Excalibur had for once to actually take his time with the future match run down.  Weird.  

Mox proving once again how much “The Man” he is by just manifesting an angle was sweet.  MJF was magic in connecting the dots to earlier in the show.  

Chicken Salad defeats Chicken Shit.  

• Like 6