DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 10/18/2022

The Natural

That was one of the higher-tier episodes in recent history (especially considering that the show has been on a bit of a run for a bit.)

Absolutely loved the Dalton/Jericho match, and still love Jericho's Anti-ROH Crusade. Give them all hell, Jericho! I'm still definitely rooting for him to take it all down.

"Who's going to save Toni Storm? Oh....it's Riho, apparently she had to leave her job as elementary school student to make the save."

Re: MJF
Hear me out on this one....(eventually) MJF to BCC? I could see some seeds being planted there possibly, especially considering they're teasing some problems with them and Danielson.

Edited by The Green Meanie
  • Like 2

Just finished the show. I went about as quiet as the crowd did. My first fear was that Hangman died in the ring. Second fear was that he was paralyzed. I’m glad it was only a concussion, but holy shit, I hope someone stays up with him tonight to make sure he’s ok and doesn’t have a seizure or anything else.

That really took the wind out of my sails for what I thought was an excellent Dynamite up until the injury.

And look, I think it needs to be said, but I’ve thought Mox’s King Kong lariat was always too dangerous and reckless. I’m hoping he tones it down if he’s going to keep using it.

• Like 2

Awesome show with the downer at the end, hope Hangman is OK, the match was excellent to that point and had a big match feel. Get well soon Cowboy.

Dalton/Jericho was extremely fun and the right amount of silly, you can tell Jericho loves Castle's silly glam rock  gimmick or whatever it is. I'm surprised how over Castle is with the AEW crowd since he's not had a lot of exposure to them. Out of all the pure ROH guys he's easily had the best reception so far and if I was Tony I'd look into keeping him on the "main roster". Don't let this slip.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 3

Modified plans. I'll catch most of this tomorrow, most likely. I saw most of the first match (and bought into the Strong Zero near-fall after the hammer was refuted) and started to see the women's match but then was informed we needed things from the store and that was the end of that. I did catch the Regal/MJF thing and the very end of the show. Regal certainly didn't mention the e-mail to MJF on his podcast. We'll see if he does next week. In general, he says that a lot of the AEW blue chip talent ended up there because of his health issues in 2019. It tracks, but it's interesting to hear the other side of that story of guys who had feelers out from WWE for a couple of years and then only got a call that year after appearing on Dark. I know we have a few weeks before the PPV still, but one has to think that the Firm helps him win, whether he wants them to or not and then it's about what he does with that as a character. 

Hopefully Page makes a full recovery soon. Pretty amazing improvisation job all around (MJF, Mox, Regal), though at least some of that was probably planned, of course. 

Here's Mox post-Dynamite (I watched this too):

There's no one in the history of wrestling quite like him and you get the sense that he turned the crowd around and made them feel special as they started heading home despite what they'd just seen..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Late to the party, but the Hangman injury had me a bit shook last night. As others have alluded to, it's pretty wild that he was hurt on something fairly routine like that after having moonsaulted off a balcony only minutes earlier. I was finally able to sleep after Dave gave confirmation on the thumbs up (that's my tweet @DEAN posted earlier, I got sick of waiting for news, and enough people were just parroting it without proof that I thought the best move was to simply ask). I can't lie, I 100% thought that was the planned finish at first. It protects Hangman to a degree, Mox gets the KO victory in his hometown for the title, and they have 'unfinished business' down the road for a rematch now. Obviously, Hangman's health is the only thing that really matters, but given the circumstances and legit injury, it's almost a 'best case scenario' for this kind of situation in terms of booking.

• Like 1

Ok, so a few things:

Rampage was excellent, but the thread was closed before I could comment.

Onto Dynamite. Lots of angles advancing here, which is good.

The things that take priority: 

1) I hope the injury finish was totally planned. From what I saw, Page landed relatively safely, for a flip bump. Nothing like Ruby landing on her neck courtesy of Sammy or anything. (Shit, it appears to be legit. That's a real bummer).

2) Dalton Castle, holy shit! That is all.

3) The 2 MJF promos, featuring Regal and Mox literally made me purchase the PPV early, just so I can say MJF made me spend more money on AEW.

Other stuff:

So Britt vs Saraya at All Out? Storm vs Hayter and Jade vs Nyla, too?

Will Death Triangle implode soon? Well, Swerve In Our Glory sure will.

There's something going on with Yuta. Danielson may end up with 2 proteges turning on his ass yet.

The Acclaimed does the right thing and instead of litigation, they will wrestle for their trademark. Good. If only more people took the reasonable approach. Should I sue or wrestle them for the term "Shart Mark"?!? Remains to be seen.

Rampage will be loaded once more, as will next week's Dynamite. Damn.

Edited by Shartnado
Shit, the injury really happened...
  • Like 3

I guess how they handle Hangman's concussion is going to tell a lot about this company.   And given how the last 3 months have been an outside the ring disaster they can't afford to have their version of the Tua situation in the NFL.  One of the good things about having a bloated roster is that allows guys to take off.   

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DEAN said:

Regal is so fucking great.

A subtle, yet *wonderful* touch by Regal was him keeping his fist balled up and ready to go the whole time while MJF yelled at him. 

That final angle...  It felt like he was going to turn on Mox at the end there, but they went a different way. Frankly, I figured it was happening because they spent so much time just getting Hangman out of the ring and keeping the show going. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I guess how they handle Hangman's concussion is going to tell a lot about this company.   And given how the last 3 months have been an outside the ring disaster they can't afford to have their version of the Tua situation in the NFL.  One of the good things about having a bloated roster is that allows guys to take off.   

What do you mean how they handle it? Adam Cole got a concussion as well and has been out for months. They’ll take just as much care with Hangman.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Zimbra said:

If you don't have the international feed you missed out on John Moxley pulling out his gig, blading his forehead repeatedly, and then dumping the blade in the ring steps all while a cameraman stood directly over him with a camera pointed right at his forehead.  

That started on the lead-in to PiP, you could see him reach in his mouth (or I guess use his mouth to take the gig out from tape?) and slice his forehead, and then it shrinks to PiP while he dumps it through the ring steps handle. It was so obvious I rewound it to show my wife, who was non-plussed.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JLowe said:

That started on the lead-in to PiP, you could see him reach in his mouth (or I guess use his mouth to take the gig out from tape?) and slice his forehead, and then it shrinks to PiP while he dumps it through the ring steps handle. It was so obvious I rewound it to show my wife, who was non-plussed.

I think my wife is so tired of me pointing out people blading on camera.

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Yeah, I saw that and was like, "well, if it wasn't for the camera capturing all of it, that was very smooth and clever!"

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Craig H said:

What do you mean how they handle it? Adam Cole got a concussion as well and has been out for months. They’ll take just as much care with Hangman.

Agreed. I don't see Hangman as being the type to rush back if his long-term health is in danger. It's amazing how having a kid will make you rethink that type of cowboy shit.

• Like 4

Saw some "Jericho should have used the cradle piledriver on Jerry Lynn" takes, but I just saw a tweet that pointed out that Jericho was basically using the Lightning Kid's Lightning Strike. Maybe not intentional, but some good headcanon at the very least.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Didn't know that Adam Cole was out because of concussion.  I thought it was some other injuries.   That is a good sign.  Now they are treated it I mean 

Yeah. He got concussed in the Forbidden Door 4 way, Jay White called an audible to end the match, and Cole has been out since. It's crazy he's been out as long as he has been. 

• Like 1