DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 10/18/2022

The Natural

Right so here's why this worked-shooty MJF stuff can just be put to bed already.

I look down at my phone, I look up. The match is all of a sudden over. I don't know why. I figure - ah, here's the answer. Can't have Page losing clean. Can't have Mox lose in his hometown. 10 minutes left, they showed MJF's skybox empty, here comes the angle. Then things get uncomfortable, in the way they often do, when they're working OR shooting. Mox is talking about Page walking and talking and playing with his kids. The bottom rope is loose. Oh shit, this is bad bad bad. But here's the MJF angle. And isn't everything about the MJF angle driven by this uncomfortable, work-the-sheets, hyper-dedicated line blurring?

But I watched the Triplemania I main event today, where Perro Aguayo Sr. wins a long, bloody main event. And I remember years ago, being an idiot, and clicking a link to a video where I watched his son die in the ring. So the idea that -anything can go wrong at any time- is kinda fresh in my mind. And I don't really want to "go along for the ride" if a guy who's really talented and genuinely likeable to the extent Page is if there's even a chance this isn't a work. They're crying wolf and I don't know what part of the story they're at.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 2

Amazing episode overall with a real excitement to it.

Feel terrible for Hangman and hope all goes well. My first thought was how Adam Cole's been out. Thought the match before then was excellent, really epic with a big fight feel. Loved Hangman rushing the crowd entrance to start the fight right away. Both guys were killing it, looked great. Crazy anything can happen vibe ending the show like this. Hope to see an even greater rematch one day. 

the MJF/Regal segment was super long, wasn't feeling it at first but by the end I was digging it. Liked how after MJF spoke, he had this huge face pop and Regal was getting booed when he started talking but then Regal absolutely brought the FIRE and was fully cheered again by the end.

Fun trios opener. Shida/Storm was awesome with some great near falls, only wished it was longer still. Marked out for the return of RIHO! 

Jericho/Castle ruled. Excited by the announcement of Final Battle. Popped for former ROH Champ Jerry Lynn getting involved.

Edited by DreamBroken
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

A little embarrassing, but after only a week I've just realized: wasn't the AA title supposed to be limited to non-Americans, or was that just an assumption and/or something I made up? I bring this up now because I'm wondering 1) what's going to happen with the Pac/Kip issue I thought we were going to transition to and 2) whether or not OC is perhaps going on excursion soon

If the title is called All-Atlantic, is has to include Americans.

• Like 1

Sorry I'm late!  So much wrestling tonight!  No wrestling tomorrow!  It's the AEW Trios championship!  Rey Fenix is suddenly overlooked as a spectacular highflier with Komander and Vikingo and Laredo Kid and Dante Martin and Dragon Lee, but he is spectacular.  The Triple Tope Con Hilos is so fucking beautiful.  While we are reveling in picture in picture they OPT to do a three tiered Powerbomb spot that looked tiny in the tiny screen.  Rey Fenix takes a DDT in a not 2022 way.  I await PAC to take one at some point.  GREAT nearfall on the STRONG ZERO!  REY FENIX FUCKING KILLS TRENT WITH THE GNARLIEST K-DRILLER OF 2022!  That was fun.  Rey Fenix stays a babyface and PAC is still a heel!  I hope they keep it that way.  Hikaru Shida and Tony Storm go at it!  HIP ATTACK THROUGH THE ROPES!  That would be a MODIFIED Wrecked Em!  In picture in picture, Storm channels the Fabulous Moolah with Hair Beels!  THEN!  A Bow and Arrow!  Both of these wrestlers are good sympathetic babyfaces but they aren;t doing a US Pro Style match.  They are kinda going Strong Style- which is cool.   WRECKED EM Normal!  Some fun nearfalls!  STORM ZERO FOR THE WIN!  POSTMATCH IS INSANE!  EVERY WOMAN ON THE ROSTER- except a couple- RUNS IN!  IT'S RIHO!  Oh that was fun.  FTR vs Swerve In Our Glory in NORFOLK!  AWESOME!  Jay Lethal is full blown heel again.  MJF and William Regal go for the EMMY!  That was dramatic.   Regal is so fucking awesome.  MJF is also fucking awesome.  The Acclaimed should lose to the Varsity Athletes and let Nese and Woods carry on the scissoring tradition and they should have a copywrite for on a pole match.  Oh sorry, I was taken over by the Spirit of Vince Russo for a minute.  Yuta gives Danielson the business!  LET'S GO BREAK SOME HEARTS!  SO MANY ADDITIONAL BOYS!  AWESOME!  Oh man, I was wondering earlier today if Jericho could take the bumps of a Dalton Castle match since Castle is basically a Steiner with a flamboyant streak.  I note that Jericho celebrates his extension to AEW by taking Castle's Suplexes like total MULKY.  Jake Hager is our RUDO BASE as several Boys land on him!  The Jericho Appreciation Society is making the Dalton Castle entire experience look like a million bucks.  EVEN in picture in picture, Jericho is bumping all over the ring for Castle.  Castle does GREAT Ray Stevens bump over the toprope to the floor.  Hagar is the SECRET SUPERSTAR of the match!  EVEREST GERMAN SUPLEX after taking the Walls of Jericho!  BANG-A-RANG!  FOR TWO!  Jericho crushes Castle's skull with an Elbow Urican!  Jericho is motherfucking awesome.  Dalton Castle looked motherfucking GREAT because Jericho took the bumps to make him look great.  That was fucking GREAT.  Jake Hagar is ALSO great!  MOX versus Hangman!  Hell yeah!  Okay, this match is TOTALLY Mid-South.  Oh man, this is like straight out of the Superdome.  MOX is BLEEDING in picture in picture!  MOX is achieving a true CRIMSON MASK!  Hangman has to bleed too.  SUPERPLEX!  The third most hated move to take per Jordynn Grace!  DEAD EYE ON THE APRON!  SUBMISSION THROUGH FEAR or STEP OVER TOEHOLD CROSSFACE in picture in picture!  BATTLE OF LARIATS!  Match stoppage.  MJF turns completely face!  AEW RULES THE FUCKING WORLD!

EDIT: Let me edit out my speculation to not look like an asshole.

• Like 8

Really hope that Hangman is okay. As soon as the ref called for medical and they cut away from everything, I had a feeling it was bad. Like...real bad. 

Otherwise, I thoroughly enjoyed the show tonight. I hopped up and down (literally because I only have one leg) in excitement when Final Battle was announced. My roommate looked at me like I was crazy.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

MJF, like the Joker, has a different version of his villain origin story for every feud he’s in.

You wanna know how I got this scarf?

It was literally a long-winded variation of his long-winded confusing promo on Punk, but Regal saved the day.

• Like 3

I don't want to assume the worst but it's hard not to feel uneasy about the Hangman injury.  It at first seemed like a normal move and bump but I don't want to see anything past what I saw live.  All I can say is if people want to lean into the "It's a work" side then I will immediately ignore you if I haven't done so already.

The rest of the show was pretty great and everything worked incredibly well.  I was excited to talk about things such as the MJF/Regal segment but I just can't.  Hopefully they were being too cautious and Hangman will eventually be fine but until then that's where my mind is at right now.

• Like 4

? Dalton's entrance needed fans throwing streamers when he hit his pose. Otherwise, that was perfect. A great effort and spectacle/showcase in the biggest match of his life for a guy who may be called on should that ROH show actually materialize. Hope it leads to a resurgence to prominence for Castle. Jericho continues to more than hold his own and make these guys look like huge deals. I was beaming. Up to that point, this had been a very fun and eventful night. 

Like everyone, hoping for a full and speedy recovery for Hangman.

• Like 8

Trios match was a little messy especially early. Can I just have a Rey Fenix solo run? Maybe he can feud with OC for the belt?

Storm-Shida was great as was the aftermath.

Castle-Jericho was better than I expected and I thought it would be a fun match. Jericho was out-Sports Entertained in the spectacle sense, to the point he forgot to systematically cheat. I was convinced for a few minutes that the extra two Boys were Parker and Menard. Hager’s “I LIKE this hat” was the first time I’ve ever popped for anything he has done.

All the angles and backstage stuff...well I expressed my opinion already on MJF-Regal. Jericho continuing his assault on Honor was good. FTR-SIOG has me excited. Yuta and Danielson’s storyline is advancing well, as is BCC. Jade threatening to take over Rampage is not a way to win ratings.

Main event was excellent until that unfortunate ending. I thought Mox knocked him cold at first, but things kept getting serious and Taz’s reaction right away and during the sell for next week made it clear. The recovery with Mox and MJF worked pretty well. Still don’t know what they’re going for with MJF.

Hope Page’s injury isn’t serious and he recovers quickly!!

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Right so here's why this worked-shooty MJF stuff can just be put to bed already.

I look down at my phone, I look up. The match is all of a sudden over. I don't know why. I figure - ah, here's the answer. Can't have Page losing clean. Can't have Mox lose in his hometown. 10 minutes left, they showed MJF's skybox empty, here comes the angle. Then things get uncomfortable, in the way they often do, when they're working OR shooting. Mox is talking about Page walking and talking and playing with his kids. The bottom rope is loose. Oh shit, this is bad bad bad. But here's the MJF angle. And isn't everything about the MJF angle driven by this uncomfortable, work-the-sheets, hyper-dedicated line blurring?

But I watched the Triplemania I main event today, where Perro Aguayo Sr. wins a long, bloody main event. And I remember years ago, being an idiot, and clicking a link to a video where I watched his son die in the ring. So the idea that -anything can go wrong at any time- is kinda fresh in my mind. And I don't really want to "go along for the ride" if a guy who's really talented and genuinely likeable to the extent Page is if there's even a chance this isn't a work. They're crying wolf and I don't know what part of the story they're at.

I hear you, but I don't think MJF's worked-shoot stuff really even comes into play. Unless I am mistaking, they haven't played with worked injuries like that and certainly no more than WWE or anyone else ever has. I remember WWE has on more than one occasion had a ref throw up a fake X, which I never liked, but I don't think that is the general get-down of AEW so far. A guy with a microphone, saying WHATEVER, however shooty or dumb or line-blurring, is a world away from working a neck injury. I think what you're talking about is more in line with stuff Danielson (bless him!) has done historically or other people who lean into selling parts of their body that are well-known to be delicate. Or to put even more of a fine point on it,  the times that people have used "the Owen voice" for very clearly scripted stuff. I don't love that, but it is in a whole different universe than talking about how you were told you needed to work on your promos, however you feel about that. I think by its nature, anything in wrestling (including Owen's death) is always going to be speculated about and confusing for the audience until the truth becomes clear. 

Edited by The Idiot King
clarification
  • Like 1

Going through the show here bit by bit, and my big takeaway so far is that Toni Storm has been giving consistent good to great matches since she's won the interim title. I'm not a Riho fan, and Nyla has gotten better since her title reign - maybe I'm off base here, but Toni's matches have been way better than anything Britt or Rosa did while holding the title.

I wouldn't be mad if this is what Full Gear looked like on the women's side:

• Britt Baker vs Saraya (Lights Out)
  • Toni Storm (c) vs Jamie Hayter (vs Riho?)
  • Jade Cargill (c) vs Nyla Rose

I still don't care about MJF. I don't know what's going on, I don't want to cheer him on as a babyface - even a reluctant one. He can talk, but it's always the same shooty kind of stuff. Don't get me wrong, I love shooty stuff, but not on a consistent basis like MJF does. Nothing about him really clicks for me. Yeah, he's had some banger matches in the past (Jungle Boy, Darby Allin) but when he's been put in the main event scene it never delivers for me (Jericho, Mox). The only time it ever worked for me was with CM Punk, but I could watch Punk feud with a broom and be into it.

Swerve/Lee vs FTR will be awesome. Conflicted about the outcome, since it seems like FTR is destined to win that and challenge the Acclaimed eventually. But Caster & Bowens are white hot, and putting them with FTR (another hot act)... ehhhh, I don't know. Someone has to lose, and people will be pissed one way or another. There's also the whole thing about tying the AEW tag titles into the politics of New Japan and AAA.

Renee is such a good addition to the team, especially when you watch her stuff versus someone like Marvez. I like Marvez's current role WAY more than his original one, but it's night and day and it shows. I also don't get why Schiavone is still doing stuff besides commentating. The man holds an office job with AEW as well - just let him do that and be a commentator, let Renee handle the in-ring shit. She's got the chops. Maybe that's the plan eventually and they're just easing her back into it since it's been almost three years since she's done this.

Love the Jay Lethal attack on Darby. The garage door holding Darby down while Lethal puts him in the figure four is brilliant. I'm sure it's been done before somewhere sometime, but that's great.

Are we seeing the beginning of the splintering of the Blackpool Combat Club? YUTA, Mox and Claudio versus Danielson, Garcia and ??? Turn Samoa Joe heel and put him with Danielson and Garcia and sign that match for any show and I'm in.

Jericho/Castle was great. First time seeing Dalton Castle and I almost rather he stay on AEW's side than go back to ROH. He's over with the AEW audience, don't limit him to a smaller feeder league. He's ready, let's do it. Dalton Castle versus Orange Cassidy when??? Also I agree with TK, Jericho is turning in one of the best runs of his career which is saying a lot considering some of the runs in the past that he's had. I mean, it's not #1 or anything, but his AEW stuff is GOOD, especially this year. That tombstone looked really bad tho. Don't tease with a Jerry Lynn comeback, goddamnit.

Rampage looks... okay. I don't know why anyone would buy a ticket to a live Rampage if that's what they're offering, but whatever. Dynamite next week looks great, although Danielson/Sammy is a big ol' MEH.

I'm not watching Hangman/Mox knowing how it turns out. Especially with the post-match stuff with MJF, which feels rushed but I guess we're getting a year long storyline next year of MJF holding the title hostage leading into his contract negotiations.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 3

I was doing a cursory search on #Hangman on Twitter to see what people were saying.  Apparently he lifted up his left arm so that does ease some of the anxiety.  I hope as time goes on that we find out what happened but that does seem at least a tiny bit promising.

• Like 3

Someone in the first or second row posted pics showing Hangman appearing to be alert and talking to doctors when he was still in the ring, so good news.

If you don't have the international feed you missed out on John Moxley pulling out his gig, blading his forehead repeatedly, and then dumping the blade in the ring steps all while a cameraman stood directly over him with a camera pointed right at his forehead.  

Up until the unfortunate ending that was a great Dynamite.  Pretty much everything hit for me.  I want Dalton Castle working matches on my TV as often as his back will allow.

• Like 3