DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 10/17 - 10/23/2022

Dolfan in NYC

While it's not great that a recent heart disease patient gets COVID....  This is at least an acknowledgement that "disease" exists by WWE senior management, so that's an improvement. 

BE LIKE DOLFAN!  Go get boosted if you haven't already!  

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

It's the GOOD BROTHERS!  It's the Alpha Academy!  The Good Brothers make an Alpha Academy match bland, which I didn't think was possible.  Anderson hits a nice Spinebuster.  We will always have that.  It's Damage Ctrl!  Against Candace LeRay!  And.  Bianca Belair!  This should be good.  IYO SKY and anyone is MAGIC!  These two are really good so it's SUPER MAGIC!  Belair and LeRay on offense is strangely awkward.  IYO comes in and makes everything all right.  LeRay finally assumes the role of babyface in peril.  Fun nearfall.  Strange match.  Lots of... I dunno... "awkward" is the only words that come to mind.  It's Baron Corbin!  He's with JBL! He is not Happy anymore.  He is wrestling Dolph Ziggler!  This is good.  Ziggler is underrated.  He is making Corbin look like a million bucks.  SWEET Lariat by Corbin.  Fall Away Slam for two!  Rocker Drop by Ziggler!  Modified Blue Thunder Bomb FOR TWO!  Zig Zag by Ziggler!  Corbin hits his finisher!  That was good.  AJ Styles, top 5 in the world, takes on Dominik Mysterio.  Jayzeus!  AJ beats the fudge out of Dominik early!  This is like Dustin Rhodes versus Ted DiBiase but without Dusty there to throw in the towel.  Dominik is a fun heel.  Man, AJ Styles is awesome when in Ass Beat mode.  Dominik is a HEAT MACHINE.  It's cool that the son of Rey Misterio Jr is such a good rudo.  Rhea Ripley KINDA cheated but Dominik rolls Styles up and gets the pin!  That was great.  Seth Rollins and Matt Riddle go at it!  Nice Exploider by Riddle.  Fun nearfalls by Riddle.  Riddle makes some hideous faces.  Fun nearfall by Rollins off an INVERTED Superplex!  Fun sequence with Matt Riddle applying the Triangle Choke with Rollins Powerbombing and Buckle Bombing Riddle who held the hold until Rollins makes the ropes.  Finish is baffling.  Elias runs in and Riddle runs into him?  That was a dopey finish.  Yeesh.  Overall, that was a perfectly fine episode.  Ending sucked.  

• Like 3

Lashley getting the better of Brock in the opening was neat to see.

Good Brothers vs. Alpha Academy was solid. GB seem more motivated than they were last time. Hopefully this run is more enjoyable.

Io/Dakota vs. Bianca/Candace was most fun despite some awkwardness. Was kind of neat hearing Bayley tone it down just a pinch on commentary and be straight about Candice while still talking up herself and her girls.

JBL's promo leading to Baron coming back Raw was actually pretty fun. He came out loved and turned on the heel charm fast. That dig at Ziggler was perfect and at least half true. Baton/Ziggler was pretty solid if a little long. 

AJ/Dom was good fun. Dom is getting better each week as heel. Its kind of weird as all of this being so new to him is probably helping him and his segments just a bit with him getting punked out. I only wish he would emote just a bit stronger during his more dickish moments. Was kind of surprised to see him pick up the win how he did. Figured it would be slightly more cheap like a low blow. 

The Miz segments backstage were amusing. Kind of like Gargano getting involved and the hints towards Miz being at fault for Lumis being pissed at him.

Seth/Riddle started slow but built up nicely by the end. Kind of dug how Seth couldn't get out of the gate and even got himself in trouble with Elias before the commercial break. A pity we didn't see how he came back and took control. The ending was not good, but not the worst thing. I was more happy with the post match with Ali making the save and getting some revenge on Rollins. 

This was decent enough show. No great matches, but mostly decent-good wrestling with some decent segments sprinkled throughout. Still feels too long at 3 hours.

7 hours ago, Eivion said:

JBL's promo leading to Baron coming back Raw was actually pretty fun. He came out loved and turned on the heel charm fast. That dig at Ziggler was perfect and at least half true. Baton/Ziggler was pretty solid if a little long. 

I wouldn't be surprised if all WWE asked was "Hey, want to talk shit about Oklahoma City for a bit and re-introduce somebody?"  I bet JBL was happy as could be on his flight from the signing in Maryland to OC.

The Miz stuff was really fun to watch and made me think back to skits from the past that I fondly remember.  Maybe it was the way it was shot or the combination of the guys and their roles in all this.  But I liked it a lot.

• Like 1

My guess is the secret backstory is going to be Miz creeping on Indie Hartwell and getting Dexter fired. If they really want to make it work they should make Miz and Maryse swingers and cover Miz's gear in pineapples. 

Rewatching this, what gets me most is how clean this spot is.   

Lesnar's taking the table bump goes from crouched over to flat back in like a tenth of a second.  Bobby, who clearly has Lesnar's full trust, has to pick up a 300 lb dude from an awkward position and pushes him just enough so Brock isn't taking a monitor to the small of the back.  I don't even see the usual back pat "I'm ready" signal.  Just two very good pros, doing what they're very good at.   

Things are so beautiful when they're done well. 

• Like 7

Trips discussing the whole white rabbit teaser build up.

WWE's Triple H details 'White Rabbit Project' to generate buzz for Bray Wyatt's return - WON/F4W - WWE news, Pro Wrestling News, WWE Results, AEW News, AEW results (f4wonline.com)

For my money though, the best storytelling in WWE hands down is the Bloodline story, years in the making and still going strong imho. Legit curious where they go with Bray, but if anything's got me hooked it's Roman/Jey/Sami

9 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Lesnar's taking the table bump goes from crouched over to flat back in like a tenth of a second.  Bobby, who clearly has Lesnar's full trust, has to pick up a 300 lb dude from an awkward position and pushes him just enough so Brock isn't taking a monitor to the small of the back.  I don't even see the usual back pat "I'm ready" signal.  Just two very good pros, doing what they're very good at.   

That is crazy but I have to argue the point that the front of the table sticking had to be supremely unsafe. The monitor is probably safer! 

In other news Rhea Ripley vs. Roxanne Perez was the best. Rhea coming back as Big Mean Boss Lady to her home spot. Rox-C being spunky underdog to counter the viciousness. God I love the both of them so much, and they prove it to me by basically turning the match into Cactus Jack vs. Mikey Whipwreck, and with the crowd reactions (and Rhea taking a legit Psicosis rail bump) this one was way ECW. 

Wait Chucky has returned to wrestling? And it doesn't sound like Brad Dourif? WHO HAVE YOU HIRED WWE. 

And now fucking Shinsuke is back. I'll finish this later, I thought the show was over but I guess I was wrong. 

• Like 3

Rhea/Roxanne was good good stuff. They played the size different well and made each other look so good.

Lee/Mensah vs. Hayes/Trick was pretty fun with the pre match brawl leading into the actual match which was nice as well. The post match with all the ladder match participants coming out was what it was.

Alba/Sonya was short but nice while it lasted.

Stack/Nakamura was decent enough. Feels liek it should have been shorter though I guess they were trying to have Stacks give a good showing

Grimes/OC vs. Dyad was pretty solid. The GB have been doing a nice job so far in this return. Curious to see if this is the end of Grimes vs. Dyad.

Xyon/Quincy for the honor of co-hosting with Shotzi was fine.

The Julius/Damon interview was decent. Dug the dig at Kemp not even being the best wrestler in his family. 

Raquel/Cora started out nice, but was cur short for a qd finish. It made sense and fed into the Cora/Roxanne feud, but it's still disappointing considering hoe well Raquel and Cora work together. Was really hoping we would get something good like Rhea/Roxanne earlier.

Skipped the end though I caught Theory coming int he final seconds. Guess they are hinting at him cashing in in NXT. Kind of hope he tries and fails as badly as he has before. 

Sorry I'm WAAAY late.  AEW over WWE every day.  Allright!  It's a big night of wrestling.  RHEA RIPLEY!  This is starting off well.  Roxanne Perez is such a great sympathetic babyface.  Rhea Ripley is motherfucking VADER.  This is good in a US Pro Style psychology way- in that Rhea Ripley beats the crud out of Perez and the crowd gets behind Perez' struggle to come back.  MAN, Rhea Ripley is so good.  It sucks that she is basically a goth Missy Hyatt now.  A lot of the story of this match is happening in picture in picture.  GREAT fucking Psicosis bump by Rhea!  TOPE BY PEREZ!  Toprope Rana by Perez!  Dominik CHEATS kinda!  Rhea CRUSHES Perez and gets the win.  That was fun.  Rhea Ripley should jump to AEW and wrestle every week.  HEY! It's Shinsuke Nakamura!  He's going to wrestle STACKS!  Stacks looks good in this for a minute.  I wonder if they will keep going with The WWE Upper Midcard Beats On Stacks theme?  I would back that play.  Hell, bring on Kevin Owens.  He's not currently doing anything.  Sonya Deville!  It's a big night of the main roster beating the shit out the developmental roster.  It's weird that Alba Fyre gets the pin rather quickly.  I guess Deville being plugged in was to let Mandy Rose deal with her brother passing away which is a legit cool thing to do for your friend as a subtext to dastardly heel antics.  Sonya Deville is fucking awesome all the way around.  It's good to see Mandy Rose again.  The Wes Lee/Oro Mensah vs Carmelo Hayes and Trick Williams was really short.  Hayes does the craziest sell for a leg based DDT variation by Mensah.  He is the PAC of NXT!  Man, I think I've seen 35 Good Brothers matches this year.  I don't hate them but they aren't the most exciting wrestles to see more then once every couple of months.  This will be twice in two days.  I don't know if I can take any more.  This is why the death of the territory system hurts ME as a wrestling fan.  These dudes should be wrestling somewhere that I can't see them for 8 months.  But I saw them in New Japan and IMPACT! and now they are all over WWE.  I am in hell.  ANYWAY.  The Good Brothers hit some midgrade offense and eats up some minutes in the 6 man.  The Dyad are fun.  Doc Gallows is a fun house a-fire.  This match got fun.  I take back all my previous bitching about the Good Brothers.  IT'S SHOTZI'S TANK!  AWESOME!  It's Quincy Elliott versus Xyon Quinn!  Elliott is all agile and what have you.  He uses his largeness to win!  WHAT THE FUCK?  A CONTRACT SIGNING AND THE TABLE SURVIVES?!?!?  WHAT THE FUCK, HHH!  I assume Raquel Rodriguez beats the hell out of Cora Jade.  And she does!  MAN!  Jade is great freaking out at the horrendous ass beating she is taking.  That was fun.  That was good episode.  Not CLOSE to matching Dynamite, but good for NXT.  Hey!  It's Kevin Owens!  HE should beat the the shit out of Stacks while he's here.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

With Bobby being placed up on the Brock/Roman level where he belongs now, maybe Trips' next trick will be to retcon out the entire Hurt Business break up ...

13 hours ago, Blue Dragon said:

FfZfuHyUAAMzH3a?format=jpg&name=small

Two points:

1) Austin taking Bron's title on Saturday makes perfect sense and is roughly 1000% better for him than getting crushed by Roman in his attempt to cash in.

2) "Daddy's not here any more."   

I'll be honest I don't really understand what Cora Jade's new character/gimmick is (Sort of a punk/metal entrance attire, metal-ish theme and a stickball (?) bat) but she seems like so much more of a star now than her previous skateboarding wannabe gimmick. 

For years, I'd heard the reason R-Truth kept surviving all the roster cuts was because Vince personally protected him and thought he was hilarious.  

I'd been wondering if that was gonna change with the new regime.  Well, it looks like we have an answer:

HELL of a promo by Shelton too.  

• Like 4