DVDVR Message Board

Matches where the announcers just ruined the whole match by not treating it seriously?

SirFozzie

I was trying to think of matches where the announcers just took away from a match by openly shitting on it, or laughing at it.

Prime example was the 7/7/99 Mexican Hardcore Match

La Parka/Silver King vs. Damien/Ciclope

Just laughter and actively shitting on the match, the wrestlers, and even the fans take shots from the announcers

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x81u7q

• Like 1

I can't think of any one specific match off the top of my head but Michael Cole as a heel lead announcer was fucking insufferable. It made it hard to try to watch matches when he's actively just calling everyone who wasn't some jacked up giant or The Miz a nerd and calling fans nerds for liking anyone other than The Miz. It's one thing for a color commentator to do that but I'm not trying to tune into a product to hear voice of the show basically call me a basement dwelling internet dweeb just because I kinda like to see a good match rather than some shitty promo written by a failed sitcom writer every now and then.

• Like 10

9 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

there's probably a good line between matches where announcers actively shitting on the match and the countless WCW Worldwide matches where the announcers just talked about Nitro angles for the entire match

I love how it would be some random Nitro first hour and you’d get Juventud vs Malenko or whatever and the announcers would start the match by talking about the NWO but by the time the match was over Tony, Brain and/or Dusty were marking out over what was going on in the ring 

• Like 1

There have been some pretty decent matches on Dark and Elevation where whoever is on the announcing team are just riffing off each other and paying no attention. I guess it’s where they let Taz be obnoxious Taz so he’ll be “solid color guy/occasional heel announcer” on Dynamite.

• Thanks 1

Just like somebody said every Lawler match, there is also every WCW match from the same time. Lawler and the WWF got away with it because people bought into either whatever else they were hyping or the fact that Lawler was saying something funny as opposed to postprime Bobby Heenan. Meanwhile it was so bad in WCW that people just accepted the fact that it came with the territory. So add all that together and you have enough ifs and buts so that it all still worked out.

But the Hardcore Lucha match was worse the usual for sure. That match has lived on through the internet for that reason. It still comes up on every forum, Podcast etc. 

• Like 1

Okay, so,  I caught a lot of shit for being down with the clown when I was younger. Even today I still bump Milenko and Jeckyl Brothers sometimes.

This isn't a "great" match to begin with. It's baby Chris Hero (still rocking a Superman shirt, not even the stylized the CH in the shield yet) on a JCW show. It's a competent enough 6 minutes that feels much much longer for whatever the hell J and Shaggy were going for. 

In a weird way, it is very quotable but not for the right reasons. I still call the Ibushi/Andrade "guys roll out of the way of the first moonsault to get with a standing one" the "nobody moonsault," and..... I can't explain why the Walgreens comment always pops me

On 10/15/2022 at 3:43 PM, JLowe said:

There have been some pretty decent matches on Dark and Elevation where whoever is on the announcing team are just riffing off each other and paying no attention. I guess it’s where they let Taz be obnoxious Taz so he’ll be “solid color guy/occasional heel announcer” on Dynamite.

There were probably times in Impact where Taz has gone into "I'm gonna let it rip" mode that were higher stakes than the AEW Youtube stuff, so I'm sure somebody can find a decent offending match there if they look hard enough. There's got to be some absolute Taz-mania in those taped Impact PPVs they kept in the can for half a year and nobody watched. As an example, saw this one a few months back and Taz is on one:

But Taz has a direct line to my funny bone, so he's not ruining anything for me. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 3