DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 10/12/2022

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
9 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Do you want to kill Cincinnati?

I wasn't aware this was an option, but yes plz.

8 hours ago, Matt D said:

• MJF: He looks in the mirror and punches himself in the face. Except for he doesn't. Page does. Literally. But MJF claims to. He made his decision years ago and does he feel bad about it? Sure, the way he feels bad about turning his head when he walks past a homeless guy on the street. It's a damn shame, right? Someone should do something about that. Not MJF. He's got to scrap for whatever he can, because the world's hard so he has to be harder. And if it comes down to shaking Yuta's hand, he doesn't know what he'd do, but he kind of does know what he'd do. He just doesn't want to admit it to himself for all that talk about looking in the mirror. And he's got an excuse ready. He'll put in work, but there's not the same heart in it. For him, the struggle isn't getting past the finish line. It's just getting to the line. Because he'll cheat the rest of the way. He's got that luxury that Page doesn't have and Moxley doesn't need. The only thing he struggles with is the fact that you're not acknowledging him and making excuses for him, that you hold him up to the standard he claims to have, when frankly, he can't be bothered with any of that. If you'd just shut up about it, things would be great. Then at least he could pretend he was the man he said he was.

Except for at the end of the promo the fans were chanting for MJF. So... who knows?

I'm very interested in seeing where this sorta babyface character goes with MJF. Maybe somesort of double turn with Hangman? Who knows, but I'll be watching

8 hours ago, Matt D said:

I think Tony made a mistake in 1.) revealing her signing even if it was rumored and 2.) not giving her a tron/moment at the beginning though I get you don't want the announcers to seem bigger than the wrestlers. You had Christian coming out in Toronto so that wouldn't have been too big a deal.

That said, I had the sense she was still figuring it out. What made her so great in NXT was how she reacted to all of the insanity around her. You had the Wyatts or Bayley or Tyler Breeze or Adam Rose and she just had to power through it and do her job but she was never robotic about it. She was the viewer's point of view character.

Here she was in and out, asking the questions but not reacting to anything. But she'll get there. She wasn't there yet though so being there for some of the bigger lifts wasn't the move yet.

I never saw her in NXT but what your describing reminds me of Jim Cornette's run as Onscreen Authority figure in TNA. Last sane man in a world gone mad, I enjoyed it. Backstage interviewers in AEW don't (Tony, Lexi, Dasha, Marvez now that I think about it quite a few of them)  really do anything ask a question only for someone to interrupt the process. What they need in a Mene Gene maybe that could be her?

• Like 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
37 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I'm hurt. 

Consider it revenge for that time you bashed adult coloring books.

5 minutes ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

Only in the eyes of an overrated manchild who got mad someone made "mean" comments about him.

(Natural has Hogan, Just Drew has Cole/Bucks......I have CM Punk, lol)

I don’t like hogan or punk either, but I doubt I’ll face as much backlash for those… ;)…

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, just drew said:

I don’t like hogan or punk either, but I doubt I’ll face as much backlash for those… ;)…

You know, I don't agree with you on the Cole/Bucks thing 100%, but I absolutely see where you're coming from with them.  Especially Cole.  I just don't understand how he's so over with the live crowds or honestly understand him at all.

The Bucks, I said in another thread, I love some of their matches, and two of them (Page/Omega v Bucks and Lucha Bros/Bucks cage match) I'd put in the pantheon of some of AEW's best, but nothing about them makes me want to seek them out.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, tbarrie said:

Gunn has definitely been the least giving old guy/legend on the AEW roster, but I didn't see this particular match as being that bad. Swerve was never made to look like a joke or anything.

Didn't look like a joke, but the whole scenario didn't exactly do anything for anyone.

The guy's still in a big program with the white hot tag champs, he's a former champ himself who gets featured heavily on the programs. Why do I care whether he still has a beef (largely around how they should have beaten The Acclaimed if it wasn't for Billy on the outside) with the champs, if he can barely beat a semi-active old guy after cheating? And then after that, the focus shifts to a different program with Nese/Sterling who no-one really care about either based on the dumb premise of copyright infringement? He's now an after-thought for an after-thought. Even if they'd had Swerve take 80% of the match, and then cheat anyway to beat Billy, because he's now Sneaky Swerve, there's some character progression in that.

It's a continuing issue in the promotion where guys finally get the title they've chased, and then go on to do absolutely nothing of note with them, to a point where you actively question whether I'm supposed to care anymore, and that arc is now finished.

• Like 2

It’s funny that it turned out Ten got plugged into the program with Andrade just so he could lose his gimmick before Spears came back, and it got so dramatically screwed up without any participation from Ten or Spears themselves. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Didn't look like a joke, but the whole scenario didn't exactly do anything for anyone.

The guy's still in a big program with the white hot tag champs, he's a former champ himself who gets featured heavily on the programs. Why do I care whether he still has a beef (largely around how they should have beaten The Acclaimed if it wasn't for Billy on the outside) with the champs, if he can barely beat a semi-active old guy after cheating? And then after that, the focus shifts to a different program with Nese/Sterling who no-one really care about either based on the dumb premise of copyright infringement? He's now an after-thought for an after-thought. Even if they'd had Swerve take 80% of the match, and then cheat anyway to beat Billy, because he's now Sneaky Swerve, there's some character progression in that.

It's a continuing issue in the promotion where guys finally get the title they've chased, and then go on to do absolutely nothing of note with them, to a point where you actively question whether I'm supposed to care anymore, and that arc is now finished.

And it ain't exactly like Nese & Woods are these massive world beaters.... Right now the most interesting teams (as far as programs not just over) are FTR and Warjoe

Watching this back the "kid" stuff reminds me of people seemingly using "millennial" as synonym for child. Millennial's both simultaneously teenagers and 40 year olds  and Mox is only 5 years older than Hangman 

Edited by zendragon
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Maybe I need to rewatch the match, but your "even if" closing sentence is pretty close to the way I remember it going. I don't recall Gunn ever outwrestling Swerve; when he took control it was pretty much through size/power spots. And he is visibly bigger and stronger-looking than Swerve, no matter how old he is, so I don't think that hurts Swerve any.

But why the fuck am I defending Billy Gunn? When Crowley was running down which posters have an irrational hatred for which wrestlers, I was totally going to lay claim to Gunn. That's pretty much shot now. I guess I can try to wrest the title of top Cole detractor from Drew. He's got the Bucks, he doesn't need Cole too!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

Yeah, Billy Gunn may be almost 60 but he looks like he could still kick the shit out of anyone who crosses him. 

It's true, Daddy Ass passes the DVDVR forearm test.

• Like 2

Bringing back Spears for a Canada-enhanced pop on Wednesday only to turn him on Friday while still in Canada would be some peak WWE nonsense booking. Hopefully they just segue WarJoe out of the feud for the moment rather than worrying about evening up sides.

Then FTR and Spears can beat Death Triangle for the trios title and we can begin the Shawn Spears, Belt Collector storyline.

• Like 1

One of the cool things about AEW is that working the tag division doesn't feel like a demotion, even when you are slapping two guys together who would, in some contexts, be considered 'above' that (I'm thinking of War(d)Joe and Lee/Swerve here). I'm sure this has to do, in part, with having so much focus on FTR and The Bucks over the past three years. I think they have easily the best tag division in the world. It all feels like it matters. Being tag champ is a desired position to have (as evidenced by how everyone loves the Acclaimed). I like what WWE is doing with the Usos, but once they lose the belts, I am not sure how that plays out.

I like how they're re-pushing Shida. It's been subtle, but has not been unclear. Big fan of the Youtube shows, however misguided that might be. The Taz/Excalibur podcast is one of my favorite things whenever it comes out.

I wanna echo the Mox/Page segment being good. It made me look up from whatever else I was doing. I like the gray area stuff with both, it doesn't feel reactive to the crowd in the sense of "Since you are booing me, I will have to figure out how to react to this." I like Page responding to his name in this moment. I am higher on him than a lot of people -- though, I also like Seth Rollins. He does more for me than Kenny, and maybe that's some version of regionalism but I like the way he sells what he's doing. I think the amount of time he has been with the Dark Order has mattered a lot in terms of his character, and somehow even if he loses, his story matters a lot more now than it did when CM Punk was around (though, please, that's a dream match -- I hope there's enough money at some point to make it happen). I can see him being empty-headed, but I think that has only helped him so far. MJF makes sense as a part of this, and I am into it until it gets fucked up. I like that both companies have now embraced the (I think, totally boring, common sense) idea of multiple storylines all intersecting with each other again. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

Only in the eyes of an overrated manchild who got mad someone made "mean" comments about him.

(Natural has Hogan, Just Drew has Cole/Bucks......I have CM Punk, lol)

Certainly do. Fuck Hogan. Hated Hulk Hogan ever since a kid as he couldn't wrestle, always won, his backstage politics and even more, he's a fucking racist. 

11 hours ago, just drew said:

I like CM Punk.

11 hours ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

You know, I don't agree with you on the Cole/Bucks thing 100%, but I absolutely see where you're coming from with them.  Especially Cole.  I just don't understand how he's so over with the live crowds or honestly understand him at all.

The Bucks, I said in another thread, I love some of their matches, and two of them (Page/Omega v Bucks and Lucha Bros/Bucks cage match) I'd put in the pantheon of some of AEW's best, but nothing about them makes me want to seek them out.

I think the Young Bucks are overrated. There's things in life you either get or don't. Adam Cole's the latter, he's never done anything for me.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

I actually think Adam Cole returning to save ROH from Chris Jericho would be a pretty great feud. People want to root for Adam Cole. Seeing him - one of the dirtiest players in the game - defending the legacy of ROH and trying to usurp the crown from a sports entertainer would be a lot of fun. 

Adam Cole is not a good heel. He does not get a lot of heel heat. Or any heel heat. He tries to but it doesn't work. They should lean into his natural likability. He really comes off in all of his in real life stuff as a really good, nerdy and funny guy. He could be a really great rogue face like Eddie Guerrero circa Lie, Cheat and Steal where the fans are in on it and want to see what clever stuff he has up his sleeve to pull out the win.  We haven't seen anyone do that in a while.

• Like 10

That was a big fiery babyface promo from Hangman, solidifying him as a baby even if there were very little doubts in the firstplace. Not sure how they're going to book a Baby/Baby title match in Mox's hometown without Page coming off as weak if he loses. Mox is bulletproof to losses, but how do you get Page to win in front of the man's family without being a heel?