DVDVR Message Board

Rampage and Battle of the Belts IV - 10/7/2022

The Natural

4 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

Trent is so awesome. Really the sleeper glue guy of AEW for years now.

On the flip side, and I hate to pile on the guy, but Pillman, woof. He’s the least talented guy on this roster, right? Maybe besides Brock Anderson. He’s been through hell and seems like a great guy, but he just doesn’t have it. Not yet anyway.

Brock has an excuse with only having 2 years under his belt. Pillman has double that with a vast variety of opponents he's learned nothing from.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, ka-to said:

Why does this Excalibur keep saying sole butt?

I guess a head butt is striking some one with your head, striking some one with the sole of your foot is a sole butt, and a butt butt is that thing sonny kiss dies in the corner

Some booking choices... could have put belts on both the DO and BF but choose not too. Do they do it with Orange Cassidy. could have Switched the order of the PAC matches have him Trent but then drop the belts to DO do to exhaustion then do the OC match.

Thought the openers was the best match of the show. Liked Regal going with Bicep slicer which is the Submission wrestling/BJJ term over "short arm scissors'"  (even thought I like using "short arm scissors" and "cross arm breaker" when I'm on the mat)

So this Nyla v. Jade thing? Nyla stealing the belt is very heelish? so is Jade turning? And Jade left through the Heel tunnel...so heel v heel? those matches don't tend to do well.

I've been going back and forth on going to PCW Ultra on 10/21 but after the main I realized how much I want to see TOA LIONA vs. PAPO ESCO in the Battle of the Big Beef Daddies! So I guess he's a draw

• Like 2

5 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

Trent is so awesome. Really the sleeper glue guy of AEW for years now.

On the flip side, and I hate to pile on the guy, but Pillman, woof. He’s the least talented guy on this roster, right? Maybe besides Brock Anderson. He’s been through hell and seems like a great guy, but he just doesn’t have it. Not yet anyway.

Brock is a project. That's fine for the time being. Pillman is more and more just a guy with a big last name

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

If they have one hour specials, they should find some other gimmick for them. I'm not sure what you can really do in one hour. 8 person Lethal Lottery. two tag matches, a 4 way to finish for a Cup or a title shot later?

Have this be the one time other promotion belts are on TV, Sammy and Tay defending the AAA mixed match tag straps, maybe FTR vs who ever holds the NWA or Impact belts (Seeing its Battle OF the belts). Have it be about special appearances of other champs and keep Dynamite and Rampage for AEW talent 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Probably gonna be a low voter on this one; my favorite match was the first one. The Bicep Slicer is an interesting new submission for Yuta. I dig his music a lot with the sword sound as his own "breaking glass". Speaking of music I LOVED Willow's, it was straight out of an '80s/'90s late-nite talk show, I expected them to pan to Paul Shaffer playing keyboards or Arsenio to walk out. This was a very "angle advancement" show and heels dominated everything for the most part. Meh. I wanted DO to get a gold watch at least. Can't say PAC/Trent or the main weren't hard hitting though. Keep the belt, Nyla! 

[Clip] The scene from where the "Ah, I see you're a man of culture as  well." came from. (Arakawa under the Bridge x Bridge)

FTR v GOA was #2. My only problem with Trent v. Pac is that close to 50 minutes or PAC equals a LOT of big move spamming (I like the guy but he falls into MOVE OF DEATH followed by 2.99999 kick out a bit to often and a bit to quick, everymatch ain't wrestlemania pal)

• Like 3

I've said it before, I'll say it again: If it's Battle of the Belts, have the matches be champion vs. champion but non-title. Especially with all the extraneous championships they have kicking around from ROH and their various partner promotions.

You could surely come up with some good match-ups between Moxley, Wardlow, Hook, Garcia, PAC, Joe, Jericho, FTR, the Acclaimed, Death Triangle, Dalton Castle/the Boys, plus outsiders who would be glad for the tv exposure. Who wouldn't want to see Wardlow bounce Brian Myers around, for instance?

And while they have fewer belts on the women's side, bringing in outside champions would go a long way to helping Jade get some more experience with people who have a bit more experience than, say, Willow or Anna Jay.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, porksweats said:

Brock has an excuse with only having 2 years under his belt. Pillman has double that with a vast variety of opponents he's learned nothing from.

The best thing Pillman could do would be to try and get a development deal with NXT.

Work for free and bunk in with someone if you have to.

He's not going to get that kind of attention and coaching in AEW unless he is 'in' with one of the bigger crews like BCC or The Elite.

As awesome as AEW is in ring, there aren't a heap of people rapidly improving year on year. They have a few select projects and the rest fend for themselves.

7 hours ago, kafkonia said:

I've said it before, I'll say it again: If it's Battle of the Belts, have the matches be champion vs. champion but non-title. Especially with all the extraneous championships they have kicking around from ROH and their various partner promotions.

You could surely come up with some good match-ups between Moxley, Wardlow, Hook, Garcia, PAC, Joe, Jericho, FTR, the Acclaimed, Death Triangle, Dalton Castle/the Boys, plus outsiders who would be glad for the tv exposure. Who wouldn't want to see Wardlow bounce Brian Myers around, for instance?

And while they have fewer belts on the women's side, bringing in outside champions would go a long way to helping Jade get some more experience with people who have a bit more experience than, say, Willow or Anna Jay.

I've said it 1000 times.

Turn Dark into the ROH show. Keep the title matches exclusively there to help get eyes on it.

Then, in the lead up to BotB, you put on some 'SuperStar Spotlight' vignettes hyping the ROH champions.

BotB week is then ROH v AEW 

World Champs 

Women's Champs 

Tag Champs 

TV v TNT champ 

Pure v AA champ 

Yes, AEW is going to sweep this more often than not, BUT it means that down the line if someone like Dante Martin is the ROH champion and he upsets Moxley in their match then it means something.

Turn ROH into your NXT and it will actually become MORE important, rather than just another bunch of titles that people (mostly) DGAF about.

Re: Trent
Are we forgetting his jealousy caused Wheeler to (eventually) join BCC? He hasn't always been a good guy.

Re: Pac
(In kayfabe) if he keeps taking the ring bell hammer, what are they ringing the bell with?

Best sign of the night was definately "SAN DIMAS HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL RULES"

I'm also very curious as to what was in the letter to Hook that he tore up.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, L_W_P said:

As awesome as AEW is in ring, there aren't a heap of people rapidly improving year on year. They have a few select projects and the rest fend for themselves.

Nobody in WWE is showing the level of year on year improvement that Dante Martin is. He's gone from being a green guy who flies and flips, to a tremendous all-rounder who can have a good match with anyone, and has a deep understanding of selling and timing.

• Like 7

41 minutes ago, AxB said:

Nobody in WWE is showing the level of year on year improvement that Dante Martin is. He's gone from being a green guy who flies and flips, to a tremendous all-rounder who can have a good match with anyone, and has a deep understanding of selling and timing.

He was looking pretty great along those lines all the way back to the Malachai Black match last October. I think he's gotten better at emoting and playing to the crowd in the last year though.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, zendragon said:

I missed this, what was it?

Commentary briefly discussed how Anna Jay was personally recruited into the Dark Order by Brodie Lee. 

In my case at least, that brought a lot of other things to mind. Such as that Anna and Tay beat Britt and Penelope on the Brodie Lee celebration of life show, and Anna and Tay's friendship with Negative 1.

Edit: you can hear them bring it up about 28 or 29 seconds into this clip:

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Big night for PAC, but he's really lived up to the Bastard moniker recently. Trent match was crazy.

Willow with a wonderful showing, but losing for the third time to Jade is kinda eh! Well, at least Nyla made her move! Actually, I was surprised that this was the move she chose!

Rush mixing up with BCC is always welcome. The bacne marks on Rush's back were a bit disturbing, though!

Anna JAS and Tay Melo were really leaning on the entertainment aspect, which is interesting when you remember what they were doing less than a year ago against Superbad Bunny!

Death Triangle vs Dark Order was action packed as all hell, but the amount of cheating PAC has needed recently is a bit concerning. This has to blow up in his face sooner or later! In his next match with OC, right?

Forgot to hype The Gates of Agony! They dominated the shit out FTR and eventually it took 4 faces to turn the tide against the Embassy. The match got kinda weird at the end there, but these guys were definitely made to look really strong despite the loss.

Edited by Shartnado
FTR was there, too!
  • Like 1