DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2022 PLAYOFFS

RIPPA

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

No one thinks that besides the folks who call WFAN and Cobra

I hate that when I read this sentence, my first thought is, "I would absolutely listen to a sports talk show hosted by Cobra Commander."

15ece3542c7e6fe65dc62f4184283e708a2f0474

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

No one thinks that besides the folks who call WFAN and Cobra

For the record, i'm not *seriously* endorsing Mattingly. The only upsides to such a hire is that it'd probably keep the Yankees from getting too good and it'd keep sports talk caller tier people from suggesting the Royals hire Mattingly.

Anyways..

NY-based national writers aren't thrilled with the idea of baseball playoffs where the largest remaining city is Philadelphia

8 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

For the record, i'm not *seriously* endorsing Mattingly. The only upsides to such a hire is that it'd probably keep the Yankees from getting too good and it'd keep sports talk caller tier people from suggesting the Royals hire Mattingly.

Anyways..

NY-based national writers aren't thrilled with the idea of baseball playoffs where the largest remaining city is Philadelphia

God, it is sad that there are people who watch sports and their main concern as to who wins is market size/ratings.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Houston is a much bigger city than Philadelphia.  

The Nielsen DMA rankings have Philly at #4 (almost 3 million TV homes) and Houston at #8 (a little over 2.5M TV homes). Houston was ahead of Atlanta in Nielsen before the last rankings.

Even with the TBS fanbase that the Braves had, I'd still question Heyman's depiction that the Phillies are a downgrade in fanbase size compared to the Braves.

As for the Padres, who are one of the smallest markets with an MLB team, they averaged 37k fans a game. So Padres/Phillies has potential to come off well on TV if enthusiasm is infectious.

1 hour ago, Log said:

God, it is sad that there are people who watch sports and their main concern as to who wins is market size/ratings.

I don’t work in tv or anything, but I’ve thought several times over the past couple days that ratings are probably screwed if NY loses.  

I imagine Cleveland-Philly might be the nightmare scenario for network execs.  I’m not even thet excited about the prospect of the Phillies getting past   the Padres and I graduated from Villanova and lived in the area for nearly a decade.

Well no one might lose tonight

First pitch is delayed with a start TBD

They will reassess the forecast at 7 PM EST

As a reminder - Rob Manfred has basically put an edict in that if it looks like the full game can't be completed, the game shouldn't start and should instead be postponed

20 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Well no one might lose tonight

First pitch is delayed with a start TBD

They will reassess the forecast at 7 PM EST

As a reminder - Rob Manfred has basically put an edict in that if it looks like the full game can't be completed, the game shouldn't start and should instead be postponed

Poverty franchise can’t afford a roof on their stadium

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Houston is a much bigger city than Philadelphia.  

Yeah but it's not on the east coast so it's just three tumbleweeds and a saloon.