DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2022 PLAYOFFS

RIPPA

3 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Re: Cleveland and Tampa: Fight forever. 

Lol,I’m hoping the game ends in the next five minutes.  Currently sitting outside my church, watching on my phone until mass starts.  I’m probably going to miss the ending.

Great game.

Edited by madl
  • Like 1

The Rays are a team for people who can't shut up about crypto. They're more cheap than small market (Tampa is the 13th largest market in the USA)

Then again, the Rays bench coach is a rumored candidate for the Royals managerial job and those two games didn't exactly make me more enthusiastic about hiring any Rays guys who don't have access to the Rays magical pitching potion

the Rays and Royals had the same OPS in 2022, one difference being that the Rays had an above average pitching staff and the Royals GM fired the pitching coach as soon as he got off the plane from game 162

I could have lived with a world where the playoff format was Yankees/Guardians, Astros/WC team with a Wild Card game between the Mariners and Blue Jays. The 86-76 Rays didn't really need to make the playoffs.

Granted, the NL side with the old format is Cardinals vs the winner of a Braves/Mets tiebreaker, with Dodgers vs the winner of Padres/Mets or Braves and the Phillies are left at home. Which seems a little harsh since the Phillies made a better account for themselves than the Rays.

playoff teams ranked by number of home runs hit

AL: Yankees, Astros, Blue Jays, Mariners, Rays, Guardians

NL: Braves, Dodgers, Phillies, Cardinals, Mets, Padres

the differences between Blue Jays and Mariners is 3 home runs, between Rays and Guardians is 12 home runs, between Phillies and Cardinals 8 home runs, and between Mets and Padres 18 home runs

Guardians have 127 home runs, the 2nd fewest. Yankees have 254, the most. So that'll be the ultimate matchup for the whole "built for the postseason" claim

I don't even know what to say, man. You get to Robbie Ray, you get up 8-1, pull Gausman for basically no reason, you still wind up out of that debacle up 9-5, then lose anyway.

Good for the Mariners I wish them well, but Jesus Christ. You want to talk about a loss that's going to be dissected for a while...

Unsurprisingly:

I'm telling you guys, the Mariners aren't a joke anymore. I don't think they'll be able to get past Houston but they're built to be contenders for the next 4 or so years at least.

1 hour ago, Contentious C said:

Mariners!

Nice comeback. Almost makes up for blowing that 12 run lead in August against Cleveland that cost them what should have been another win in the record tying 2001 season. 

Almost.

It's incredible that THAT team blew THAT lead.  Up 12-0 and 14-2 and lost. In a year where they won 116 and didn't lose a series all year. They were so much fun to watch with Ichiro as a rookie and winning every freaking night. And then they quit hitting in the playoffs. 

Aroldis Chapman is not on the Yanks ALDS roster as he missed Friday's workout and did not provide an "acceptable excuse"

High potential he has worn a Yanks jersey for the last time

Funnily, this will make the Yanks bullpen better

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Aroldis Chapman is not on the Yanks ALDS roster as he missed Friday's workout and did not provide an "acceptable excuse"

High potential he has worn a Yanks jersey for the last time

Funnily, this will make the Yanks bullpen better

Chapman wasn't dependable at all. His absence is definitely addition by subtraction. I'd say there's 0% chance he ever suits up for the Yankees again. This is his free agent year.

20 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

I'm telling you guys, the Mariners aren't a joke anymore. I don't think they'll be able to get past Houston but they're built to be contenders for the next 4 or so years at least.

Their pitching staff is filthy. I think people underestimate both Seattle and Cleveland.