DVDVR Message Board

NCAAF 2022 - WEEK SIX

RIPPA

Ok, so I was right about Chryst getting embarrassed by Bert being my very bad for him but VERRRRY wrong about him being safe this year.

But, yeah, the trend at Wisconsin has been sneaky bad for a while now. They need to evolve.

This is the first real surprise firing of the year. Everybody else so far has been more or less expected, barring a miracle turnaround.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, EVA said:

Ok, so I was right about Chryst getting embarrassed by Bert being my very bad for him but VERRRRY wrong about him being safe this year.

But, yeah, the trend at Wisconsin has been sneaky bad for a while now. They need to evolve.

This is the first real surprise firing of the year. Everybody else so far has been more or less expected, barring a miracle turnaround.

When Wisconsin has only 2 rushing yards in a game, much less a game against Illinois, it's time for a head to roll.  

(Even if you take away sacks and such, they were under 30 yards rushing. At Wisconsin.)

Edited by Brian Fowler

Source: Wikipedia

College Football Midseason firings/resignations/etc after August 1st

• 2022: 5
  • 2021: 21 (6 before November 1st, 15 after)
  • 2020: 6 (1 before 11/1) - not counting Southern Miss's interim getting hired by Austin Peay midseason
  • 2019: 7 (1 before 11/1)
  • 2018: 9 (2 before 11/1)
  • 2017: 6 (4 before 11/1)

So 2022 might be sort of the continuation of 2021? or there's an accounting trick with regards to when some guys jumped their jobs.

Last year the pre-Halloween firings/resignations were.. Edsall/UConn, Helton/USC, Lunsford/Georgia Southern, Rolovich/WashSt, Wells/TX Tech, Patterson/TCU

then the following teams either fired or lost their coaches last November: Akron, UMass, Washington, Virginia Tech, Florida, Troy, SMU lost their coach to TCU, Oklahoma lost their coach to USC, LSU, Notre Dame lost their coach to LSU, Fresno State lost their coach to Washington

Then over 2 days in December, you had a Louisiana-Lafayette=>Florida jump, Nevada=>Colorado State jump, Oregon=>Miami jump before Miami fired their incumbent coach.

So it's possible that the ranks of teams thinking about firing their HCs will be a little thinner in 2022 than 2021?

• Like 1

also i'm quite pleased that I discovered there's a way to create an arrow character on this board.

But yeah, there were some coaches that probably would have gotten fired in 2020 if not for the obvious abnormality of the 2020 season, and there's a backlog that programs are clearing through?

1 hour ago, EVA said:

I hope Kansas wins everything they can this year, because someone is definitely going to take Leipold off their hands and it’s probably right back to the shitter next year.

The only way he's still in Lawrence next year is if he doesn't want any of the open jobs.

Glen Mason almost went to Georgia after going 34-23 from 1991-1995 at Kansas (he changed his mind and the job went to Jim Donnan). Then after a 4-7 season, he left to coach Minnesota. So the concept of Kansas FB coaches looking for a way out is nothing new.

Bill Snyder got the K-State job when he was almost 50 and probably never felt like leaving. Mark Mangino is Mark Mangino. So it's possible to have success as a head coach in the state of Kansas and not immediately leave. But right now, either Leipold is in another job soon or he's staying for awhile.

I was in Twitter yesterday and someone was saying something about how Bears fans will tolerate a terrible offense,  bad quarterback play,  and shitty special teams, but if the defense is bad,  heads will roll. I'm going to say. Wisconsin is the exact same except with running the ball. If the rest of the team is a total shit show, they won't complain,  but if you can't run the ball what the fuck are you doing coaching at Wisconsin. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, hammerva said:

The major ripple effect of the Wisconsin firing is all these other colleges with below average to worst records doing nothing and people wondering why not them.  See West Virginia right now

Neal Brown has a helluva agent.  If WVU fired him today, Brown would collect approximately $16 million plus whatever WVU still owes him for the rest of this season.   I can see WVU giving him one more year to turn it around just because of his contract,  I don’t believe for a second thst they can see it to the fanbase unless Brown runs the table and has a fairly unlikely turnaround this season.  Going to be interesting to see what they do with him come December,

Edited by madl

Interestingly, it looks like Paul Chryst really does still love Wisconsin, because he took a settlement and not the entire $19 million he was entitled to. I didn't see any reporting on how much he ultimately took though.

28 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Interestingly, it looks like Paul Chryst really does still love Wisconsin, because he took a settlement and not the entire $19 million he was entitled to. I didn't see any reporting on how much he ultimately took though.

This is idiotic. If someone owes you $19 million,  there is no good reason too accept even $18.999 million. They knew how much it would cost to fire you,  and agreed to that price,  why give them a discount? 

• Like 3

I mean, if I wanted to work again or have a happy personal life and my employer knew things that could endanger either/or, I could probably be “negotiated” with to keep things copacetic. Which is not to necessarily say I know of any skeletons in Chryst’s closet, but…If we’re just asking for reasons why, that would be a pretty good reason why.

4 hours ago, supremebve said:

This is idiotic. If someone owes you $19 million,  there is no good reason too accept even $18.999 million. They knew how much it would cost to fire you,  and agreed to that price,  why give them a discount? 

Outside EVA's suggestion, I have no idea, except maybe loyalty to the school (which would be dumb. Wisconsin is getting that B1G money, they can afford to dump a coach at full freight.)

This year's Texas/OU being the first unranked Red River Showdown since 1998 makes me realize that maybe I shouldn't have been so impressed by K-State beating Texas back in 1998 on my way to deciding to bandwagon Kansas State around that time.

Also K-State entered 1998 in the top 10. They literally crawled from 6 to 2 from the start of the season to the Big 12 title game.

Maybe late 90s Texas was more impressive than late 90s OU, at least until Stoops left K-State for OU.

As for not taking your entire buyout.. it's not like he made a bunch of nepotism hires that he's trying to protect because "don't pay me the full buyout and keep my hires through the rest of the year" isn't exactly a great tradeoff.

Unless I missed something somewhere, at least the Universities are smart enough to not try converting buyouts into annuities ala the Mets, right?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

This year's Texas/OU being the first unranked Red River Showdown since 1998 makes me realize that maybe I shouldn't have been so impressed by K-State beating Texas back in 1998 on my way to deciding to bandwagon Kansas State around that time.

Also K-State entered 1998 in the top 10. They literally crawled from 6 to 2 from the start of the season to the Big 12 title game.

Maybe late 90s Texas was more impressive than late 90s OU, at least until Stoops left K-State for OU.

As for not taking your entire buyout.. it's not like he made a bunch of nepotism hires that he's trying to protect because "don't pay me the full buyout and keep my hires through the rest of the year" isn't exactly a great tradeoff.

Unless I missed something somewhere, at least the Universities are smart enough to not try converting buyouts into annuities ala the Mets, right?

I think a lot of times they get paid over the same time frame they were scheduled to be anyway? Though maybe a buyout is a lump sum.

I just know at one point two different schools were paying Charlie Weis to not coach their teams.

It’s going to be interesting to see how the buyout situation develops in the next 5 to 10 years. It’s clear that the economics of CFB have evolved in such a manner that even buyouts in the $10-20 million range are no longer prohibitive for P5 schools to pay. Which means you’re likely going to see agents pushing for even bigger buyouts or fully guaranteed contracts like Mel Tucker’s new deal at Michigan State.

However, an interesting recent behind the scenes development in college sports is a number of schools having to delay, scrap, or re-scope planned facility upgrades/additions because the booster money that was earmarked for those projects is now being funneled into NIL collectives and the like, because boosters view that as having a more direct impact on recruiting/retaining the best players and, thus, results on the field/court. You have to think that, at some point, those same boosters are going to start questioning why they’re being asked to give away free money to ex-coaches when it could be better spent on NIL, too.

10 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I think a lot of times they get paid over the same time frame they were scheduled to be anyway? Though maybe a buyout is a lump sum.

I just know at one point two different schools were paying Charlie Weis to not coach their teams.

In this specific case - Chryst is getting $11 million for his buyout and the full amount will be paid by Feb 1, 2023

So it might not be a lump sum but it also isn't getting dragged out for years

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

So it might not be a lump sum but it also isn't getting dragged out for years

Also known as being a former fired HC at Auburn University. Bryan Harsin is will join that exclusive club probably in the next two weeks.