DVDVR Message Board

MLB OFFSEASON (P&C Report 2/14/23)

RIPPA

The ESPN article says the Mets have the same exact concerns the Giants did and that Correa and the Mets are “working through the issue”

ie: Boras knows they can’t go to a third team so they have to take what they can get

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Death From Above said:

How bad does your leg have to be fucked up for it to be considered a giant unsalvagable red flag with all the wonders of modern sports medicine? I've never heard of anything like this in baseball off the top of my head.

Especially considering he’s played multiple seasons at a high level after breaking it. I could see if he’s had 8,000 knee surgeries but it sounds like he only had the one operation.

• Like 1

The issue is that teams/doctors are more concerned regarding for the long term not for say this upcoming season.

If you are giving a 12 year contract - you expect him to be worthless after maybe 7 years (this is the optimistic opinion). What is coming out about his leg is the concern that it will start to rob him of his mobility - which becomes a HUGE issue when you are relying on him to provide + defense for more than say 3 years. 

Teams don't want to pay Correa to be a DH for 80% of the contract

No one would be blinking an eye if the initial contract was say 4 years

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

The issue is that teams/doctors are more concerned regarding for the long term not for say this upcoming season.

If you are giving a 12 year contract - you expect him to be worthless after maybe 7 years (this is the optimistic opinion). What is coming out about his leg is the concern that it will start to rob him of his mobility - which becomes a HUGE issue when you are relying on him to provide + defense for more than say 3 years. 

Exactly. He doesn't hit anywhere near enough to be a DH. 

17 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Okay your points make perfect sense. I just don’t get why the Mets had to rush to announce they had an agreement knowing he’d failed a physical in San Fran. That’s the truly mind boggling part. 

After that came out they should have offered him somewhere in the 4-6 year range and left it at that. 

On 12/24/2022 at 4:10 PM, Travis Sheldon said:

No takebacks!

I mean, it’s December 26.  If worse comes to worse, they can just take him to the customer service counter at Walmart, say he was a Christmas gift and they don’t have the receipt, and they’ll get their money back, no questions asked.

When I got married, we got a toasterwe couldn’t use.  So I spent a Saturday driving around till I found a store that carried that same model and talked them into letting me return it without a receipt.  It’s the same thing.

Edited by Mario
Bad grammar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Braves and Sean Murphy agree to an extension

6 years, $73 million

If you are a Braves fan - I hope you enjoy basically seeing the same roster until at least 2027

Because no one ever declines from their previousses - nope not at all

23 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

It's unclear where they're playing him, as Jazz Chisholm, Joey Wendle, and Miguel Rojas exist.   The thought is he goes to 2B and Jazz moves to SS or CF.  

About that (and Ed and I are having a grand laugh over the UNOFFICIAL CAPTAIN~! line)

While he’s a solid addition to the batting order, it’s not as ideal a fit positionally. Segura played shortstop for the early part of his career but posted below-average defensive marks there in 2019. After that season, Philadelphia signed Didi Gregorius and kicked Segura to the other side of the bag. He’s played almost exclusively second base for three years, with just 21 starts at third base and two starts at shortstop (all in 2020) over that stretch. Segura has manned shortstop for only two innings in the past two seasons.

Since moving to the keystone, the Dominican Republic native has rated highly with the glove. Defensive Runs Saved has credited him a cumulative six runs above average for the past three years, while Statcast has pegged him 13 runs above par. Second base is his best position at this stage of his career, meaning it appears young star Jazz Chisholm Jr. will kick over to shortstop. While Chisholm came up as a shortstop prospect, he’s played mostly second base in MLB. Like Segura, he didn’t log a single inning outside of second base in 2022. In a fairly small sample of 329 2/3 innings at shortstop from 2020-21, Chisholm rated as a below-average defender by both DRS and Statcast.

Moving Chisholm to shortstop could signal a reduction in playing time for Miguel Rojas. Regarded as Miami’s unofficial team captain, Rojas has been the primary shortstop in South Florida for five straight seasons. He’s a quality defender but hit only .236/.283/.323 across 507 plate appearances in 2022. That lackluster offensive showing could be partially explained by injury, as the 33-year-old underwent surgery to repair cartilage damage in his right wrist at season’s end. Rojas is under contract for $5MM next season and reportedly drew some trade interest from the Red Sox earlier this winter. Miami could certainly keep Rojas around as infield depth — particularly if they deal third baseman Joey Wendle instead — but the Segura signing could make them more willing to entertain trade offers on their incumbent shortstop.

Brian Sabean is returning to the Yanks as an executive advisor to Brian Cashman

Normally I would say this comes across as hiring your replacement but Cashman did just sign that extension