DVDVR Message Board

MLB OFFSEASON (P&C Report 2/14/23)

RIPPA

9 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

The Royals traded Michael A. Taylor to the Twins for two minor league relievers (Evan Sisk and Steven Cruz). Taylor will probably play CF regularly in Minnesota once Buxton gets hurt again and the trade opens up CF in KC while also opening the door wide to the Twins trading one of their outfielders (Kepler)

Maybe this opens the door to Kepler being traded to the Yankees. I don't want to see Aaron Hicks anywhere near the field or the lineup. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

On 1/21/2023 at 6:00 AM, RIPPA said:

The Marlins announced they are officially moving Jazz Chisholm to CF

Jazz is involuntarily backing out of the WBC.  He is coming off an injury and needs reps in CF, so he's going to concentrate on that. 

He would have been playing for Great Britain (??)

I don't really follow baseball like I used to, but I still pop in here every once in a while to keep up on news.

I quickly realized that I recognize almost zero pro baseball players names anymore.

But today, I came to the realization that I think you guys are fucking with me. You're just making up players, aren't you?

I mean, "Jazz Chisholm"!?!? No way that's a real person. Nice try, fellas.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Arte Moreno has decided to not sell the Angels (aka wasn’t happy with the offers he was getting)

It's like groundhog day. Seven more years of shit expectations and performance from the Angels!

I got nothing against Rolen or him getting in, really.

But if part of the point of the hall of fame is to tell the story of baseball, having Scott Rolen in and A-Rod and Manny not get close is sure telling a distorted version.

• Like 3

Why the various unsuccessful candidates didn't get inducted this year

• Helton: Coors Field
  • Wagner: He's a reliever, and the 2006 NLCS
  • Jones: Fell off a cliff when he turned 30
  • Sheffield: Jerk
  • Beltran: Astros scandal, and the 2006 NLCS
  • Kent: probably being penalized because he was a Barry Bonds teammate
  • ARod: PEDs
  • Manny: PEDs
  • Vizquel: Where do we start?

Vizquel might have gotten voted in if he had retired at 40 instead of 45. He was at 53% before the domestic violence accusations, and at 49.6% in a cycle where the domestic violence accusations dropped during voting, and then 24% after the domestic violence and sexual harassment of an autistic batboy scandal. So, imagine if he had 5 more tries at the HOF before his shit hit the fan.

Vizquel is older than Roberto Alomar and Alomar was voted into the Hall before Vizquel retired.

8 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Why the various unsuccessful candidates didn't get inducted this year

• Helton: Coors Field
  • Wagner: He's a reliever, and the 2006 NLCS
  • Jones: Fell off a cliff when he turned 30
  • Sheffield: Jerk
  • Beltran: Astros scandal, and the 2006 NLCS
  • Kent: probably being penalized because he was a Barry Bonds teammate
  • ARod: PEDs
  • Manny: PEDs
  • Vizquel: Where do we start?

Between Sheffield, ARod, Manny, and Bonds,  you're leaving out 4 of the 10 best hitters of my life, but putting Scott Rolen, who I've never even thought about as anything better than a good player into the hall of fame. At some point we just need to stop having a hall of fame if the best players aren't going to be in it. Seriously, why would any baseball fan from about 1995-now go to the hall of fame? The best players of your fandom aren't thee. You can see Griffey and Ortiz (who has a much steroid suspicion as anyone) but Bonds and ARod are the best players of the last 30 years and Manny might be the most fun player since Rickey Henderson. If you're 35 years old why would you visit the hall of fame? 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Between Sheffield, ARod, Manny, and Bonds,  you're leaving out 4 of the 10 best hitters of my life, but putting Scott Rolen, who I've never even thought about as anything better than a good player into the hall of fame. At some point we just need to stop having a hall of fame if the best players aren't going to be in it. Seriously, why would any baseball fan from about 1995-now go to the hall of fame? The best players of your fandom aren't thee. You can see Griffey and Ortiz (who has a much steroid suspicion as anyone) but Bonds and ARod are the best players of the last 30 years and Manny might be the most fun player since Rickey Henderson. If you're 35 years old why would you visit the hall of fame? 

Not to mention arguably (probably?) the best pitcher of our lifetime is also not there.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Not to mention arguably (probably?) the best pitcher of our lifetime is also not there.

Don't worry, he'll get in when the veteran's committee puts him in.

image-placeholder-title.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Don't worry, he'll get in when the veteran's committee puts him in.

image-placeholder-title.jpg

Fun story.

My first baseball game ever was David Wells' first major league win. Jays vs Angels. Dave Stieb vs Jerry Reuss. 

Years later during his second stint with the Jays we got to talk about it over a beer. He was super cool with me. 

Edited by Infinit
  • Like 7

20 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Greg Maddux went into the HOF like 9 years ago

(yes, I know who he really means)

Edited by BrianS81177
  • Like 3

I feel like 90% of conversations I've ever had about baseball have been about position player, when it's pretty clear who the best guys are.  We should probably talk about pitchers more, because there are at least 10 guys who can be called the GOAT, and you can actually have a fun discussion.  I guess you can have an interesting discussion about who was better ARod or Pujols, but only if you ignore defense.  

• Like 1

Like with wrestling, I find my HOF discussions about real sports are more about feelings than data. I saw a bunch of folks trotting out Rolen's advanced metrics but I just think "I saw him play. Very good but not a HOFer when I watched him." 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Like with wrestling, I find my HOF discussions about real sports are more about feelings than data. I saw a bunch of folks trotting out Rolen's advanced metrics but I just think "I saw him play. Very good but not a HOFer when I watched him." 

Yeah, I was trying to figure out where he ranked among 3rd basemen that I remember, and I don't think I would have voted for him.  Arod, Adrian Beltre, Boggs, Brett, Chipper Jones, Edgar Martinez, Molitor, Schmidt...and current guys like Jose Ramirez and Nolan Arenado are all guys I think were just plain better than him.  Rolen was very good, but I don't think I would have ever called him great.  It would be one thing if guys like Rolen got in because every player better than him was in, and they needed to expand the field to keep putting guys in, but there is about a decade and a half of dudes better than him who aren't in the Hall of Fame and it doesn't make sense to put him above better players.  

• Like 1