DVDVR Message Board

MLB OFFSEASON (P&C Report 2/14/23)

RIPPA

1 minute ago, Tabe said:

Correa still has to pass a physical for the Mets. They're not completely locked into him yet. 

True but at least the way Passan reported it - they wouldn't have agreed to the deal with the Mets without assurances that they would pass him

Do we know what the Giants saw in Correa's physical? And should the Mets be concerned?

The specific nature of the Giants' concerns with Correa is unclear. But with a deal as long and lucrative as the one to which he had agreed, any team approaches a physical with greater rigor.

As for the Mets: Every team has different thresholds for giving a thumbs-up on players' medicals. But, after the events of the past 24 hours, it's extremely unlikely that Correa would come to terms with the Mets without the team indicating that it expected to pass him and make the deal official.

Apparently since Steve Cohen has already talked about the deal publicly - the Mets would be subject to a grievance (and most likely lose it) if they tried to back out of the deal now

Lewin Diaz was just DFA'ed by Baltimore.  

This is not a repeat story from November, when he was DFA'ed by Pittsburgh.

Nor is this a repeat story from earlier in November, when he was DFA'ed by Miami. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

The more you read, the worse it gets for the Giants.

At the same time, this is Boras.  I'd take anything he's peddling in the media with half the contents of the Great Salt Lake.

• Like 1

Yeah - I am sure Scott Boras is giving a fair and balanced accounting of what happened

And even in Boras' account - Correa really comes across as a guy who didn't want to play for the Giants

17 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

And even in Boras' account - Correa really comes across as a guy who didn't want to play for the Giants

I feel even more comfortable saying this after this blurb from Passan

I am not going post the entire article - but here are like three paragraphs from Passan's article summarizing what happened

Spoiler

On Monday night, Correa's agent, Scott Boras, also posted up on the 12th floor, received a call from Giants president of baseball operations Farhan Zaidi expressing trepidation over results from the standard medical analysis of Correa. Their concerns were with Correa's lower right leg, which had been surgically repaired in 2014 after he broke his fibula on a slide during a minor league game. It was an injury Correa hadn't thought about in years, and suddenly it was putting in jeopardy the fourth-largest guaranteed contract in North American sports history.
The team asked Boras for more time to consider whether to honor or walk away from the agreement. The Giants postponed Tuesday morning's news conference, the first sign to the world that something was amiss. Correa sat, waited and tried to stay calm, even as his family struggled to.
Finally, about 1 p.m. PT, the parties reengaged on the phone. Boras asked team officials whether they intended to proceed with the 13-year contract. The Giants said they did not -- at least not at its current length and value. Perhaps they could work out a new deal.

The TL:DR is the Giants weren't happy with Correa's right leg (the one he broke in 2014). At the 1 PM deadline - the told Boras they weren't going to do the deal at its current length or value but they wanted to work on a new deal.

Boras, without saying as much, told them to fuck off and got the deal from the Mets by dealing directly with Steve Cohen (who may or may not have been drunk at the time)

I need to make this clear - the Mets agreed to the deal solely based on Scott Boras claiming that Correa was healthy and his "proof" was "clearly he is healthy - the Twins gave him a giant contract last year!"

The Giants are gonna be so thankful this contract didn't happen

• Like 3

13 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I need to make this clear - the Mets agreed to the deal solely based on Scott Boras claiming that Correa was healthy and his "proof" was "clearly he is healthy - the Twins gave him a giant contract last year!"

The Giants are gonna be so thankful this contract didn't happen

Even if Correa's leg/health is 100% perfect, the contract was ridiculous. 13 years for a guy who is already 28 years old and has never hit more than 26 homers. 

Edited by Tabe
  • Like 1

Well the Giants and Scott Boras don't completely hate each other as the Giants are signing Michael Conforto to a two year, $36 million dollar deal (opt out after this season)

Yes I appreciate the irony there

The Giants also signed Taylor Rogers to a 3 year, $33 million deal so they now have both Rogers twins

if the A's gave a tenth of a fuck about competing for market share in the bay now would be the ideal time to strike by fielding a better team/announcing a stadium deal that wasn't fantasy/even just proving they're not trying to suck their way to Vegas like the Raiders did.

but alas, "if" is doing Atlas-level lifting in that sentence.

• Like 1