DVDVR Message Board

MLB OFFSEASON (P&C Report 2/14/23)

RIPPA

https://www.insider.com/mlb-used-two-balls-again-this-year-and-evidence-points-to-a-third-2022-12

But according to a new analysis of more than 200 balls used in games during the 2022 season conducted by Dr. Meredith Wills, a Society for American Baseball Research award-winning astrophysicist, that's not true. Major League Baseball did not settle into using a single, more consistent ball last season, Wills' research suggests: It used three.

The only Goldilocks balls we obtained from the regular season that did not have commemorative stamps were found in Yankees games.

Signings are starting to pick up

Taijuan Walker to the Phillies - 4 years, $72 million

Mitch Haniger to the Giants - 3 years, $43.5 million

All the reporters are quick to say that that doesn't take the Giants out of the Judge sweepstakes. Their goal apparently has always been to sign both

Piecing together the reporting - it appears the Giants offered Judge more money and that the Padres did meet with Judge but never got a chance to make him a "formal offer" (a verbal offer appears to have been for more money than the Yanks offer too)

16 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Can’t wait to see a full investigation by MLB and a harsh condemnation on them cheaters who cheated to get a home run record and still come up short and have to settle for an American League record and have everyone cal Aaron Judge a fraud cheater who cheats and boo him unmercifully for years and years after the fact 

5 hours ago, Raziel said:

I mean, I was always in "I'll believe it when I see him in the uniform" mode w.r.t. this and think it's foolish for any long time Giants fan to expect them to win any free agent bidding war, especially for hitters, since Home Runs get you paid and the Giants' park is still The Place Where Home Runs Go To Die.  They were just selling hope and didn't want the prestige hit of not even trying to be involved.

Don't get me wrong, would've been nice, but The Giants have only won the bidding war for the biggest free agent one time, and it was 30 years ago.