DVDVR Message Board

MLB OFFSEASON (P&C Report 2/14/23)

RIPPA

The Pirates have signed Carlos Santana (the 1B not the singer)

1 year, $6.725 million

It is the largest guarantee they have given to a FA since 2017

Apparently their plan is just to fill their lineup with 1B/DH types

MLBPA executive director Tony Clark has been given a 5 year extension

Thus meaning he will most likely be in charge of the MLBPA for the next CBA negotiation (which will happen in 2026)

19 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Houston is signing Jose Abreu

3 years, $60 million

I can already see Jed Hoyer and Tom Ricketts penning their talking points for the Cubs Con this year saying that they only said they were targeting big players in FA, not necessarily signing them.

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

I can already see Jed Hoyer and Tom Ricketts penning their talking points for the Cubs Con this year saying that they only said they were targeting big players in FA, not necessarily signing them.

I hear Jason Heyward is available 😉

1 hour ago, Lawful Metal said:

Holy shit, that's real?  Houston really is the Evil Empire

His power evaporated last year but he's still a quality player. Not a bad signing for just 3 years. 

3 hours ago, cubbymark said:

The White Sox power as a whole completely evaporated last year. Andrew Vaughn led the White Sox last year with only 17 HRs.

You'd think Tony the Uber-Genius would have been able to get them to hit a little more.  I guess Jose and Mac and their vitamins weren't walking through the door.

For whatever reason, it seems like Gaylord's 300th win (with Seattle) in 1982 was the first sports milestone I really remember as a kid... probably because he did it against the Yankees. RIP.

Zach Elfin to the Rays

3 years, $40 million

Apparently the Red Sox offered him the same exact deal but part of the reason Elfin chose Tampa is because he is from Orlando

It is the largest FA deal in Rays history