DVDVR Message Board

MLB OFFSEASON (P&C Report 2/14/23)

RIPPA

3 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

There has to be a list out there of players who willingly went from 100+ win teams to 100+ loss teams.  Can't imagine it's too big. 

Also Tyler may be the first to do so between teams from the same "city".

not since Tungsten-Arm O'Doyle signed with the St. Louis Browns, etc.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Meanwhile the Royals just signed up a guy who batted 145 times for a low 70s OPS+ in 2022 for 1.4M in 2023

they followed that up by making a "we would really want a stadium that'll cost 2 billion dollars and we'll do it without raising taxes" announcement

10 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

While I'm disappointed that Scott Servais didn't win AL Manager of the Year, Terry Francona had a pretty strong case for it too.

Brandon Hyde had a stronger one

• Like 3

Bryce Harper is having UCL surgery (unclear if it is Tommy John or not)

Not great but not as terrible when it is for a pitcher.

For frame of reference - when Shohei Ontani had his surgery (Oct 2018) - he was able to play as a DH the beginning of May 2019

7 hours ago, Infinit said:

Sad to see Teo go....and very curious to see what we go back

Erik Swanson has been a big piece of the Ms bullpen, I wouldn't be surprised to see him slot into an 8th inning role eventually. Macko was injured in High A but before the injury had 60 strikeouts in 38 innings. There's some potential there (I think MLB.com already has him in Toronto's top 10) but I wouldn't expect to see him in 2023.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With Sandy Alcantara winning - the Marlins get their first Cy Young in franchise history.

The Texas Rangers and Colorado Rockies are now the only two franchises who have never won it

• Like 2

Mariners trade 2020 ROTY Kyle Lewis to Arizona for C/OF Cooper Hummel. Lewis was probably gonna be non-tendered anyway. Dude's knees are shot. He's appeared in 54 games the past 2 season. Can't stay healthy, can't play OF anymore. 

Billy Beane is transitioning from executive vice president of baseball operations for the As to "senior advisor to managing partner"

GM David Frost will now oversee Baseball Ops too

Beane had been the longest-tenured baseball operations leader in the sport (since 1997). That title now belongs to Brian Cashman (who has been running baseball ops for the Yanks since 1998)