DVDVR Message Board

AEW - OCTOBER 2022

The Natural

Not to defend JDFromNY but he's said far worse more controversial things than just Marina Shafir sucks. Like what he said about Alexa Bliss was pretty awful. 

Secondly, I've seen people insult wrestlers men and women far worse by the likes of Meltzer, Alvarez on Observer Radio, and posters on this forum. 

I'm guessing this just means Marina Shafir is very well liked backstage. Also, Twitter is just not a good place for discourse in general. There's no nuance. And for every hot take or strong opinion you have, there will be like just as many who disagree in triplicate. It's just not worth it. 

As for Shafir, I don't think she was really ready to be put in that slot against Jade Cargill some months back. I think they rushed and slotted her in that spot too quickly with very little TV time. I recall she generated very little to no heat for her one TV match before her title match with Jade. She also looked very un-polished in the ring, but just my two cents. Nothing against her personally or as a worker. 

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Not to defend JDFromNY but he's said far worse more controversial things than just Marina Shafir sucks. Like what he said about Alexa Bliss was pretty awful. 

Secondly, I've seen people insult wrestlers men and women far worse by the likes of Meltzer, Alvarez on Observer Radio, and posters on this forum. 

I'm guessing this just means Marina Shafir is very well liked backstage. Also, Twitter is just not a good place for discourse in general. There's no nuance. And for every hot take or strong opinion you have, there will be like just as many who disagree in triplicate. It's just not worth it. 

As for Shafir, I don't think she was really ready to be put in that slot against Jade Cargill some months back. I think they rushed and slotted her in that spot too quickly with very little TV time. I recall she generated very little to no heat for her one TV match before her title match with Jade. She also looked very un-polished in the ring, but just my two cents. Nothing against her personally or as a worker. 

For what it's worth Shafir wise, she has shaped up on the Darks/Elevations she's been on with Nyla since the original Jade kerfluffle. But she definitely was not ready that first go around.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Casey said:

first time watching AEW? ?

No.

After Sting's debut, TNT told AEW they can't just do stuff like that cold. If it's a big name (and for better or worse, Cole is a big name), they want it promoted ahead of time so it'll do numbers.

54 minutes ago, porksweats said:

For what it's worth Shafir wise, she has shaped up on the Darks/Elevations she's been on with Nyla since the original Jade kerfluffle. But she definitely was not ready that first go around.

This is very true, but she's still not very good.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Thinking about former ROH Champions of any kind....what's Brody King doing these days?  I know he's already there, but he and Jericho could tear it up.

(Former tag champ with PCO.....which is another good shout that came up a few posts back.)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Casey said:

My man, they’ve continued to do debuts and returns unannounced. That has been debunked.

To reiterate the point, Khan clarified later on they only meant BIG names that would actually draw people in when advertised. Very few people fit that bill, and right or wrong, Cole does.

I think you need to move past this one. Seems like a weird thing to get hung up on. 

So I was standing on a ladder, and the Hardy Boyz theme started playing in my head, and I thought ... wait a minute ...

Didn't Matt Hardy get inducted into The Firm against his will? Shouldn't he have been involved in the beatdown of Mox and MJF at the end of Dynamite?

1 hour ago, Gorman said:

So I was standing on a ladder, and the Hardy Boyz theme started playing in my head, and I thought ... wait a minute ...

Didn't Matt Hardy get inducted into The Firm against his will? Shouldn't he have been involved in the beatdown of Mox and MJF at the end of Dynamite?

They suspended him for the week on Dark Elevation 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Craig H said:

They stated on Rampage it's a former world champ.

Think that was a slip of the tongue I think. They went out of their way to include other champions in Jericho's challenge last week. Why waste the air time to do that unless it had a purpose? It's going to be a former champion that wasn't World Champion. Excalibur just slipped up when he was racing through the lineup.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Dog said:

To reiterate the point, Khan clarified later on they only meant BIG names that would actually draw people in when advertised. Very few people fit that bill, and right or wrong, Cole does.

Ah yes, like how CM Punk was advertised way ahead of his debut? Whoopsies lol. He was like 8 or 10 months after Sting.

Keep in mind new people now run the channels. The people who decreed that don't work there anymore. New head of programing and network execs since that decree was reported. So they don't necessarily have that to stick to anymore.