DVDVR Message Board

AEW - OCTOBER 2022

The Natural

I gave Punk the benefit of the doubt with everything that went down in WWE. One time is an anomaly, two times is a pattern. Now trying to play the sympathy card with Larry? Lol come the fuck on. That would've been one of the first things I mention after the scrum. Everyone will babyface an innocent dog getting hurt. Odd timing on the release of that info.

https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1585450541647384578?t=bFMo8F5oRBPjuFmMjbw_LQ&s=19

Edit: of course my hyperlink doesn't embed ?

Edited by Krone Meltzer
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Meltzer is saying he never heard anything about Larry being hurt from either side. Seems to think it's made up. ?‍♂️

There would only be a few people who would have noticed since it would have proceeded the melee. The majority of those people had a gag order put on them by their employer. And Punk might have had to get surgery on his triceps, so his priorities could have been on other things than managing the media narrative.

And Tony Khan’s crack investigators apparently didn’t even bother interviewing Ace Steel’s wife (who was reportedly in the room) So I think Tony Khan might have realized he was paying millions to a 45 year old pain in the ass that has already had two major injuries, and paid to get the outcome he wanted.

Also, it’s been repeatedly demonstrated that Meltzer just regurgitates things he’s told and doesn’t check with the people involved.

Anyway, I don’t really mind Kenny Omega but no Young Bucks has been refreshing. I’m already dreading the return of their terrible acting in cringe backstage segments. Ugh.

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

And yes, everyone involved deserves some degree of blame for what went down. Even Hangman, who I'm guessing didn't think his part of that promo would stir up so much shit. Although Hangman and, I'll say Kenny, deserve the least amount of blame for everything.

I won't be remotely surprised if and when Punk wrestles in AEW again. I don't believe the buyout stuff.

Also, lol at Ariel getting hurt because Schiavone called him a dicklicker.

I love Hangman like (mostly) everyone else, but I’m surprised he doesn’t get more flak for that promo. People were upset when it came out Punk’s call out of Page was unplanned, but nobody really batted an eye at the Cabana innuendo in his promo. And Hangman saying what he did probably set off all of this, since he and others believe Punk got TK to fire (but then talked out of it, and demote) Cabana.

The Elite might not have leaked stuff to Meltzer about Punk (I don’t believe that), but I don’t think anyone can deny that they’re not sources for Meltzer. He was right about that. 

• Like 2

At the time I thought it was a pretty pathetic effort to go a round with Punk on the mic, but I also thought the vagueness of it was needlessly going to generate speculation. Instead it primarily managed to provoke Punk’s paranoia, which doesn’t absolve Punk’s behavior or mean Page is to blame for what happened. But maybe a promo that was not good on its face, didn’t sell any PPVs, and inadvertently caused a humiliating debacle for AEW means Hanger should have a writer. 

• Like 1

I dunno, I think Page is partially to blame here. The difference in Punk’s programs before Hangman was that the shooty stuff was agreed upon beforehand - which is obvious since Kingston and MJF weren’t the target of his gripebomb or anything. But Hangman decided to say fuck that and did it while he was in a feud with their top guy (that’ll probably ruffle feathers, but it’s true). And it’s not like he stepped out of bounds and mentioned something innocent, he did the one thing there was probably a rule about not mentioning.

I love Hangman as the leftist babyface, but that wasn’t very cool. Especially if nobody has proof that Punk tried to convince Khan to fire or demote Cabana.

• Like 3

Looking back at that program - it really suffered from a lack of build up and any real tangible storyline also. 

Punk was the established number one contender, he gets a shot at the next PPV. Sometimes wrestling works with that sort of simplicity. Didn't seem necessary to go that barebones with guys who have such established characters with relatively consistent narratives and themes to them. 

Page shouldn't have done it, but also, I'd be prepared to give the benefit of the doubt that there was at least some motivation of trying to find a way to sell this PPV as a big deal, which to that point, it had not.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

If Hangman thought bringing up Colt Cabana to Punk on live television would sell a PPV, and Punk would just be okay with that (especially when MJF of all people never even went near that subject)… I don’t even know what to say, that’s just incredibly stupid.

The idea of Hangman fighting off these interlopers from the outside was a fine enough thread, since he had just gotten done with Adam Cole and Bryan Danielson. The shoot comment about Cabana and worker’s rights is just cheap.

• Like 2

I think the first part of that is probably a valid thought process (or at least the best of ordinary options) and the second part about whether Punk would be OK with it, would fall somewhere between being completely ignored/not given the relevant consideration given Punk's thin-skinned nature about it. 

I hadn't even twigged on that consistency of opponent type until you mentioned it. It was never really built up, nor were the three of them ever billed as that by the announcers etc. It's a good undertone to it though, that they never really developed fully. It seeming very inevitable that Page was going to lose to Punk, along with every other title change the company had had to date did little to help there either.

5 hours ago, Bryan said:

There would only be a few people who would have noticed since it would have proceeded the melee. The majority of those people had a gag order put on them by their employer. And Punk might have had to get surgery on his triceps, so his priorities could have been on other things than managing the media narrative.

Follow up on Dynamite maybe?

/s

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Casey said:

I love Hangman like (mostly) everyone else, but I’m surprised he doesn’t get more flak for that promo. People were upset when it came out Punk’s call out of Page was unplanned, but nobody really batted an eye at the Cabana innuendo in his promo. And Hangman saying what he did probably set off all of this, since he and others believe Punk got TK to fire (but then talked out of it, and demote) Cabana.

So everybody watching excluding the locker room knew Page was referring to Cabana and it wasn't just his go home promo for the match at the time?

I'm a bigger fan of Punk than any of the Elite actually but I know those guys even individually have a better upside to AEW than Punk obviously from an inring perspective. I've said it before,  I didn't see the point of ending Hangmans run at that point anyway. As much as I was a fan of Punk, I didn't think he needed to be Champion even as the top Draw. Not as soon as he got it.

SRS reporting that Jericho confronted Punk after the Gripe Bomb and subsequent scuffle. Allegedly told him, to his face, that he was “a cancer to the locker room and a detriment to the company.”

Punk’s response? “This is none of your business.”

Two things; even “trained ufc fighter” knows better than to swing on Jericho in a locker room. Jericho is to backstage areas what Ty Domi (sp) is to ice, and Phil knows it. 

Second, after explicitly saying “if you have a problem with me, come talk to me and we’ll work it out,” Punk tells someone doing exactly that that it isn’t their business. Fuck that dude.

Edited by just drew
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, just drew said:

SRS reporting that Jericho confronted Punk after the Gripe Bomb and subsequent scuffle. Allegedly told him, to his face, that he was “a cancer to the locker room and a detriment to the company.”

Punk’s response? “This is none of your business.”

Two things; even “trained ufc fighter” knows better than to swing on Jericho in a locker room. Jericho is to backstage areas what Ty Domi (sp) is to ice, and Phil knows it. 

Second, after explicitly saying “if you have a problem with me, come talk to me and we’ll work it out,” Punk tells someone doing exactly that that it isn’t their business. Fuck that dude.

I remember Chris Jericho getting in Brock Lesnar's business of all people at SummerSlam 2016 for busting open Randy Orton.

• Like 3

TK: we need to stop leaking things to dirt sheets, guys

Someone: lol yeah so anyway here’s full verbatim quotes of what Chris Jericho said to Punk after the scrum, and detailed “information” on the investigation of the fight.

Edited by Casey
  • Haha 3

Jericho’s incredible run this year aside, he’s a trash person and he doesn’t deserve praise for high roading Punk in the middle of the chaos. And yeah, I’m sure he’s leaked stuff when it benefited him for his whole career including this. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Casey said:

I dunno, I think Page is partially to blame here. The difference in Punk’s programs before Hangman was that the shooty stuff was agreed upon beforehand - which is obvious since Kingston and MJF weren’t the target of his gripebomb or anything. But Hangman decided to say fuck that and did it while he was in a feud with their top guy (that’ll probably ruffle feathers, but it’s true). And it’s not like he stepped out of bounds and mentioned something innocent, he did the one thing there was probably a rule about not mentioning.

I love Hangman as the leftist babyface, but that wasn’t very cool. Especially if nobody has proof that Punk tried to convince Khan to fire or demote Cabana.

No one even had a clue about Hangman’s colt jab in that promo until he called Hangman out. 

Trying to pin this on Hangman to baby face  Punk has to be one of the dumber things I’ve heard since this all went down. 

Maybe in 5-10 year you can Mandela effect that shit or something but otherwise Punk is just a guy with the largest and at the same time most fragile ego in the wrestling business. 

• Like 1

Yes, let’s pretend no one on the internet speculated that it was about Colt Cabana, even though it was definitely discussed on Reddit that night and the days after.

Sure! Let’s live in that fantasy world.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FourPostMassacre said:

No one even had a clue about Hangman’s colt jab in that promo until he called Hangman out. 

Even in that sparsely-replied-to Dynamite thread, here's someone correctly assessing it and getting a decent amount likes seemingly endorsing that assessment. 

I'm sure there's even more of that in other heavily populated parts of the internet. Plenty of people knew the second it came out of Page's mouth. Punk drew greater attention to it, but it's demonstrably false to say "no one even had a clue."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Even in that sparsely-replied-to Dynamite thread, here's someone correctly assessing it and getting a decent amount likes seemingly endorsing that assessment

I'm sure there's even more of that in other heavily populated parts of the internet. Plenty of people knew the second it came out of Page's mouth. Punk drew greater attention to it, but it's demonstrably false to say "no one even had a clue."

That and after everything went down after the ppv I got the impression a portion of the other roster got what he was talking about or at least started murmurings and gossip backstage. The Sheetz got wind of all this, and then you've got all the speculation that preceded Punk's blowup. Punk's actions were definitely over the line and his issues should have been handled by the office, but people airing their grievances and insinuating stuff in-ring isn't helping. I said in the above mentioned thread that if the program for the title was that Hangman thinks Punk believes he's entitled to a top of the card spot just because Punk is some big name veteran making a return after several years rather than home-grown talent who's been grinding in the trenches like Hangman has, they should have just been clear on that. If that's the story they wanted to tell then honestly it's not that bad of an angle. It's why AEW needs agents/producers/editors/whatever to sit down with the players involved to iron out shit like this out before going live.