DVDVR Message Board

AEW - OCTOBER 2022

The Natural

I know it all tends to be considered one thing. Shooting in the sense you try to fight a guy for real / hurt him. And we all agree that doesn't sound like a Hangman thing at all. But there's other shitty types of shooting. I don't think page would trying wrestle him down into holds and stretch him or fight him for real. But he could have shot on him the HBK / Hogan Summerslam 2005 kind of way. While that doesn't hurt Punk physically, it would hurt Punk emotionally / his standing in the eyes of the fans.

I get the sense Punk wouldn't give a fuck about being stiffed or beat up. But you make him look bad or "mess with his money" in that sense, he would be heated. So let's add that bit of contexts to the comment released by his camp. Hangman is boys with the EVPs just like HBK was boys with Vince. He certainly *could have* gotten away with doing that. So I don't think it's a 100% unfounded thought (especially coming after what Punk felt like a verbal comment that did the same).

From my perspective that was still superrrr unlikely. Just doesn't seem like Hangman's style. He likes to have fun on BTE and what-not but dude seems pretty professional and straight laced "on the job." But still, that context matters a little to what Punk's side said.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

That thought existing in the same space as insistence that the scrum was no big deal is quite the contrast.

If someone said that to me my next question would be whether they thought the Pipe Bomb was also no big deal.

Couple of things about that story that haven't been touched on yet:

- The Castle Doctrine law being mentioned is strange. Is the idea supposed to be that the NOW Arena is Punk's home? Or does the law say that you can fight anyone who enters a room that you're already in?

- The source for all this is "Punk's camp". Ace got fired, who's even in Punk's camp right now? FTR?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

Why was the dog at the door when you know people are coming to confront you after you just went on a 15 minute tirade, shitting on them and telling people to come see you if you got a problem?

I mean...you do know what dogs tend to do when someone comes knocking at a door, right? So if they knocked on the door, and Larry did the thing most dogs would do, and then the door were forced open...Yeah, it's going to hit Larry in the face.

Also, and I say this half jokingly as the owner of a small dog with some ratty ass teeth, but Larry has the most ratty ass teeth I've ever seen and the biggest overbite I've ever seen. Those teeth were coming out no matter what.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/22/2022 at 2:16 PM, BohsJohnny said:

Page was the one who went into business for himself on live TV first, how on earth was he the only one who was professional? 

He said the same thing Kingston did. Phil was just looking for an excuse to gripe. And the so-called "breaking down the door" is bullshit, considering they specifically brought Megha Parekh with them.

Edited by Ace
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I mean...you do know what dogs tend to do when someone comes knocking at a door, right? So if they knocked on the door, and Larry did the thing most dogs would do, and then the door were forced open...Yeah, it's going to hit Larry in the face.

Also, and I say this half jokingly as the owner of a small dog with some ratty ass teeth, but Larry has the most ratty ass teeth I've ever seen and the biggest overbite I've ever seen. Those teeth were coming out no matter what.

No dog shaming. ?

2 hours ago, Ace said:

He said the same thing Kingston did. Phil was just looking for an excuse to gripe. 

I'll just leave this link to a post of mine from around the time. I mostly stand by there being distinctions and nuance people were too quick to cast aside in favour of ignoring what made the Page promo different. If people want to say Punk should have handled it differently or that the pipebomb guy should be able to do a better job handling live rounds, that's all fine. Not saying the Page promo was a firing offense or anything. But I don't buy people equating it to Eddie or MJF's stuff.

*misspelled "stiff" as "stuff", sorry

• Like 1

11 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Punk was concerned that the pre-determined match would break down into a real physical fight.

7 hours ago, Jiji said:

lol @ the idea of him fearing Adam Page shooting on him.

Two different things. If Page shoots on him, the match goes to shit. I dare say that was his "concern".

8 minutes ago, goitre3000 said:

Two different things. If Page shoots on him, the match goes to shit. I dare say that was his "concern".

I’m not sure why we’re continuing to give Punk the benefit of the doubt with stuff like this. Punk has to be the coolest guy in any room he’s in. Guys like that think they’re allowed to make others look bad, but they themselves can’t handle being the butt of the joke ever. Page could’ve sandbagged Punk or laid it in stuffer than he needed to and there’s not a thing in the world Punk could do about it. Also, didn’t someone have to talk to Hanger about laying it in too much as it is? Yeah, Punk’s a delusional, paranoid goof, but Page could probably really hurt him if he wanted to…

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, goitre3000 said:

So he's not scared to get in the Octagon against trained rippers, even after being handed his own balls the first time, but Adam Page gives him the willies?

That seems to be the crux of your argument.

I’m saying the human psyche is a real thing. We all saw how getting into the octagon worked out for him. He didn’t just lose handily, he showed less than no aptitude for martial arts. Punk is nothing if not a rabid, out of control egomaniac. Putting himself in a position to be exposed as anything less than what he says he is is unacceptable for him. Do I know him personally? Nope. Do I believe all self aggrandizing narcissists are pretty much the same? Absolutely.

• Haha 1

You say he wouldn't put "himself in a position to be exposed as anything less than what he says he is", after pointing out that previously, he "didn’t just lose handily, he showed less than no aptitude for martial arts". Sounds contradictory.

But we're just going round in circles, you and I.

1 hour ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Meltzer is saying he never heard anything about Larry being hurt from either side. Seems to think it's made up. ?‍♂️

His take on the situation is coming from “multiple eyewitnesses”, which I take to mean probably the Elite, or those close to the Elite. Who I’m sure aren’t bias in the situation at all.

I don’t think anyone is completely innocent in all of this, either way.

• Like 3

Sometimes sh*t gets really out of hand. That's life. You can choose to own it or choose to play victim and lawyer everything up.  

Punk is the guy who never had to grow up. A real life Peter Pan. Everyone keeps on making excuses and exceptions for him because he has certain intangibles that you can't teach. 

The funny thing is all of this will somehow make Adam Page, a guy who I feel like comes off as too nice. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, goitre3000 said:

You say he wouldn't put "himself in a position to be exposed as anything less than what he says he is", after pointing out that previously, he "didn’t just lose handily, he showed less than no aptitude for martial arts". Sounds contradictory.

But we're just going round in circles, you and I.

I think what happened in the ufc added to his insecurity. But, conjecture is conjecture, so we can end the merry go round. I just refuse to give that guy the benefit of the doubt when he’s spent the last 15 years showing everyone how insecure & self aggrandizing he is.

2 hours ago, JohnnyJ said:

Sometimes sh*t gets really out of hand. That's life. You can choose to own it or choose to play victim and lawyer everything up.  

Punk is the guy who never had to grow up. A real life Peter Pan. Everyone keeps on making excuses and exceptions for him because he has certain intangibles that you can't teach. 

The funny thing is all of this will somehow make Adam Page, a guy who I feel like comes off as too nice. 

Ok, people can think Punk is full of shit or whatever, but the dude had to do a ton of growing up very early on. It's also clear he's grown older and wiser. That doesn't preclude him from still having trust issues or a short fuse when he feels like someone is trying to pull some shit on him. That latter point is something more for therapy, which I have no idea if he's ever done and I'd guess he probably hasn't. I don't think it's fair to say that he's never had to grow up.

And yes, everyone involved deserves some degree of blame for what went down. Even Hangman, who I'm guessing didn't think his part of that promo would stir up so much shit. Although Hangman and, I'll say Kenny, deserve the least amount of blame for everything.

I won't be remotely surprised if and when Punk wrestles in AEW again. I don't believe the buyout stuff.

Also, lol at Ariel getting hurt because Schiavone called him a dicklicker.