DVDVR Message Board

AEW - OCTOBER 2022

The Natural

19 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

This promo fucking sucked. 

https://youtu.be/h4Ue6pON9yY

"The Lethal Injection is the one Cutter in the business that people don't kick out of. Avoid. Avoid. Avoid." WHAT THE FRELLING HELL IS THIS GARBAGE?! "I know we're not in the business of renaming people like Gunnar McGillibuddy or whatever the hell it is! Because if you come to AEW and call yourself Brodie, you've got balls!"

Like he's basically cutting a heel promo on CM Punk but he's not even interacting with Punk and he literally won't turn heel. 

The crowd is absolutely shitting on him in the first half. Then at one point he almost gets them back, then he starts rambling and losing them again. This was like one of the worst rambling Super Cena or The Guy Roman Reigns times a million.

Don't know why you quoted me, but thank you for posting that awesome promo with sage advice about Jay Lethal's finish. He's got Jay scouted. I wonder if a lot of Coach Arn's game plan sheets were basically just "leg sweep -- avoid; black mass -- avoid; poison mist -- avoid avoid avoid." 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, BohsJohnny said:

It's amazing to me how that promo is now justified cause Punk turned out to be a prick like we all knew already. Page shit himself on live TV multiple times in the build up to that match and people just give him a pass for it still. 

I remember Punk's reaction to it when he returned from injury was brought up and most fans and people in the media were like "I didn't even remember that promo". It was one of the weirdest most rambling nonsensical promos in years and it didn't register with you afterwards? I guess people rather their favourites be passive-aggressive types instead of someone who'll just say fuck you. Each to own I guess. 

That promo was building to an angle, using inside information for a build.  AEW has always been a "smark" company so Hangman went to the well.  Was it right?wrong?  Who can tell, but to say someone went into business or themselves, against a guy who's made a living going into business for themselves is a reach.

I'm not going to go into the back and forth of "who was right, who was wrong", but Punk not addressing it backstage only to come out and do a shoot call out when he knew he wouldn't be answered, then do a press scrum when he wants "Anyone who has a problem come knock on my door"..........then someone knocks on his door and he freaks out.  I don't like Punk but c'mon, there is no way the Buck are intimidating Punk.  I might be wrong, but i stand by my thought that Punk had a problem with Omega/Bucks and decided to go after Hangman because he is the least confrontational.  Page tried to build a match with no build, Punk was the one who had a temper tantrum and proved everything Page said right.

What hill I will die on is that there no fucking way Punk shouldve ever pinned Page in that match.  I won't even touch the rumored "i wont lay down for Page" Punk rumors on that one.

Edited by StuntmanCrowley
  • Like 4

Codyverse was a thing but I’m not sure it was special or unique. AEW at its best comes off like a buffet. A series of different styles and types of stories or presentations. House of Black segments feel different than Jericho town hall meetings. MJF feud builds are different than Hangman’s. You can have flips for the sake of it and then technical/ strikes for the sake of it. I don’t see how Cody have a segment blocked out for his antics much different than the Jericho block or the Punk block or the Elite zaniness or the [insert whoever here]. If you’re one of the lucky performers on a big roster that gets to be a shoe in for tv time, you likely have your own ‘verse.

Granted, that doesn’t mean anything about personal taste of said wrestlers or how they are booked. I said it in the Cody leaving thread that I personally felt that at the time I found it odd that Cody got the brunt of the distain when Khan has the final say. Which is a point @John from Cincinnatimade too. 

In terms of taste, it would be interesting to see each main star’s storylines and noteworthy segment to see who has the highest thumbs up percentage. 

—-

@Jiji, if you stop watching regularly but want to keep in touch off and on I recommend TDEWresting on twitter. They post GIFs of the cool moments and neat moves on Dynamite and Rampage. If I don’t watch then I check that page out afterwards to see what’s up or if there looks to be a match I’d still want to check out. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Octopus said:

@Jiji, if you stop watching regularly but want to keep in touch off and on I recommend TDEWresting on twitter. They post GIFs of the cool moments and neat moves on Dynamite and Rampage. If I don’t watch then I check that page out afterwards to see what’s up or if there looks to be a match I’d still want to check out. 

Yeah, buddy. I follow them and a few other accounts that would keep me abreast of the goods. I'll probably just fast forward through stuff i don't like at first but we'll see. I hope my bois stick around for the long haul.

• Like 1

The buck absolutely stopped when Cody couldn't challenge for the AEW World Title anymore, because that was essentially the end of what his giant arc was supposed to be. I mean think about it in retrospect; this was a guy who went out to do it his way because he felt he was destined for more than what he had been given in WWE. Yet as soon as the doors open on a new promotion he throws out a never challenge for the World title again stipulation and actually goes through with it. Maybe that's some of that "old school rasslin" where there actually needs to be consequences because this established that really early in AEW. The only thing is, to counter this consequence would be to turn heel and challenge for the title - something he openly admitted on air to not wanting to do. However, you then have to think back to the line somewhere about Tony Khan knowing all along how the championship arc would go (Jericho -> Moxley -> Omega -> Hangman) so maybe Cody knew early on that he wasn't going to be in the hunt for the title for the first couple of years. I mean that arc that Khan supposedly had planned out just ended in May when Punk won the title.

Part of me wonders if Cody is trying to go full on Hulk Hogan ultimate babyface ride for a while until he (surprise!) turns heel ala Bash at the Beach 96. If he wanted to do that, he'd definitely have to establish his face character for a long ass time - maybe around 8 years. Then he turns 45 and can turn heel and get a fresh paint for his character since he's seeing how long others like his brother are staying in the game.

I'm kind of just rambling on now, but I think Cody's aura was lost when he couldn't challenge for that title. In turn, it made all of his feuds feel isolated outside the broader picture of the wrestling promotion. Everyone's goal in wrestling is supposed to be champion. People provide for their families and all that good jazz, but the competitor is always supposed to strive to be world champion. I think the best analogy I can give is for college football. Imagine if you're a fan of say LSU or Ohio St. and they go 12-0 but can't challenge for the National Championship because of sanctions. Before the season, you as a fan are already going to have limited interest because you know "yeah we can run the table, but at the end of the day it doesn't matter". Now think of that, except forever. You're a fan of LSU football, but they can NEVER challenge for the National Championship. As a fan, that really wains your interest. Sure smaller schools like Tulsa or Kent St. aren't out here challenging for National Titles, but at least they have that opportunity to. With that being said, Cody's feuds then felt like... what exactly? A dead end in my opinion.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I was going to say "maybe Cody didn't want to win the AEW title because it would ruin his whole gimmick about winning the world title for his father at MSG." But then I remembered he was NWA champion and ROH champion already. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

As George Carlin would say who better to know whats needed?

Re: the Codyverse; to me it felt like a thing. He had that long Factory feud where the Factor never seemed to get a meaningful win and then the Black/Andrea stuff where they kept rematching despite being in a company that rarely does them so it did feel like he was on an island

Edited by zendragon
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Dog said:

It's a work.

I wish it was. Instead it appears the company has been so terribly mismanaged that they have lost pivotal draws from both ends of the spectrum, are in a creative malaise with zero memorable storylines outside of the self-made Acclaimed (one of whom, lest we forget, was suspended not so long ago and they risked losing) and complete waste of numerous obvious narrative directions, and generally going absolutely nowhere new as a company. The prospect of some innovative booking involving top-bracket stars was, I think, a more enticing alternative.

Edited by A_K
  • Sad 1

IMO, the clear subtext to the "Cody can't challenge for the world title" stip was always intended to be that it was a declarative statement Cody would not book himself like Dusty in JCP, despite his very public position of power. I could be far off, but that's been my thought since literally the second the match was announced. 

• Like 5

Has Cody ever said he's a Zack Snyder fan? I could totally see him being one.

I think Cody sometimes went with "this will look/sound cool" over "this makes sense". A good example is Brandi lighting the table on fire. Why did she do that? It seems like (IMO) they thought, "Oh, it'd be cool if Brandi snuck in the ring in disguise and lit a table on fire!" and that's as far as it went. Hell, why the flaming table in the first place? It's not like the feud with Andrade was some death feud.

That, in a nutshell, is why you need editors, like others here have pointed out. I like talent coming up with stuff, but you need someone to work with them on it and make sure it fits what they're trying to accomplish with a segment.

That's something I used to see with young news photographers. They'd want to put some editing trick or a cool shot into a story whether it fit or not. I'd try to ask them what purpose it served in the telling of the story. If they couldn't answer that with anything other than "it looks cool" we'd discuss maybe not using it.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Log said:

I think Cody sometimes went with "this will look/sound cool" over "this makes sense". A good example is Brandi lighting the table on fire. Why did she do that? It seems like (IMO) they thought, "Oh, it'd be cool if Brandi snuck in the ring in disguise and lit a table on fire!" and that's as far as it went. Hell, why the flaming table in the first place? It's not like the feud with Andrade was some death feud.

That, in a nutshell, is why you need editors, like others here have pointed out. I like talent coming up with stuff, but you need someone to work with them on it and make sure it fits what they're trying to accomplish with a segment.

That's something I used to see with young news photographers. They'd want to put some editing trick or a cool shot into a story whether it fit or not. I'd try to ask them what purpose it served in the telling of the story. If they couldn't answer that with anything other than "it looks cool" we'd discuss maybe not using it.

"So I'll come out in this truck that has my logo on it. And then I'll rev it for a bit. Then I'm going to run over a trash can"

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

57 minutes ago, Log said:

To me the most interesting Cody interview is the one on Unrestricted when he explains the unprotected chairshot thing.

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2020/11/cody-rhodes-reveals-tony-khan-wanted-to-take-chair-shot-676852/

You don't get it here without hearing his tone but you get some of it. He was just so frustrated that he couldn't use a tool that had been used for decades because of stuff that Rock and Foley did, or whatever. I'm not going to use the word "entitled" but...

To me, the flaming table was all about getting into the AEW commercial promo packages and Dynamite openings for years to come. And then he left.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

To me the most interesting Cody interview is the one on Unrestricted when he explains the unprotected chairshot thing.

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2020/11/cody-rhodes-reveals-tony-khan-wanted-to-take-chair-shot-676852/

You don't get it here without hearing his tone but you get some of it. He was just so frustrated that he couldn't use a tool that had been used for decades because of stuff that Rock and Foley did, or whatever. I'm not going to use the word "entitled" but...

To me, the flaming table was all about getting into the AEW commercial promo packages and Dynamite openings for years to come. And then he left.

But we'll always have his voice saying "THIS IS RAMPAGE" at the start of every Rampage.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Per Fightful, The Kingdom are signed to multi-year deals. FTR pushed for them. FTR get it.

It also feels like we’re on the verge of news about a weekly ROH show so it sort of makes sense. I watched a few matches from 2022 with them and decided I do not like Matt Taven.

• Like 4