DVDVR Message Board

AEW - OCTOBER 2022

The Natural

Generally speaking, I think it’s foolish to make any decisions on Punk right away. With his injury, it’s like a get out of jail free card. No need to make any decisions until he’s healthy. That’ll give time for wounds to heal. At the same time, there’s no reason why Kenny and the Bucks can’t be back already.

• Like 3

Honestly, if I was bitten by a coworker I would take my time coming back. 

——

@username makes a fair point. After Tony took control, the great Cody segments slowly started to go down hill. It was a Khan move all along. Took out Cody, the Elite are next. 

Edited by Octopus
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Octopus said:

Honestly, if I was bitten by a coworker I would take my time coming back. 

——

@username makes a fair point. After Tony took control, the great Cody segments slowly started to go down hill. It was a Khan move all along. Took out Cody, the Elite are next. 

You have great points except for the Cody going downhill stuff.

Edited by John from Cincinnati
words
  • Haha 1

I will never forget him pulling the cord to start up a sanctimonious cody promo only to get kicked in the face by Black backstage. "State of the world..." *kick*

It's when the AI became self-aware.

I'm still leaning to Omega leaving whenever his deal is up even with Punk out of the picture. I hope I'm wrong. I don't want to have to watch NJPW with the state it's in and I will never watch WWE.

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, username said:

I am... hesitant about talk that shifts blame onto Kenny and the Bucks not because I am fans of them or think they are angels, but it is the venture capital move to find some "small timers" who've come up with something garnering a response, team up with them and then sort of run them out of the company while claiming all of the benefits for yourself. That thought very slightly started percolating in the back of my mind back when Tony Kahn initially went "I've changed my mind, I'm now solely in charge of creative" early on and from that perspective a lot of the "shocking" AEW events of 2022 take on a very different appearance.

Regardless of what one thinks of the initial EVPs they are the ones who started all of this and if they all end up no longer Elite right before the company cashes in it would be both unfortunate and sadly typical.

we're going to hell anyway, let's travel 1st class

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

Generally speaking, I think it’s foolish to make any decisions on Punk right away. With his injury, it’s like a get out of jail free card. No need to make any decisions until he’s healthy. That’ll give time for wounds to heal. At the same time, there’s no reason why Kenny and the Bucks can’t be back already.

The only thought I had about this at the time (and this is pure, utter, speculation): it did cross my mind whether or not Punk would try to claim he was injured in the post-show scuffle, rather than the match. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Who knew letting this lil pervert create his lil cult would be his undoing (well and his health)? Incredible stuff here. I do miss Cody, probably more than I thought I would. But brother read the tea leaves. Year One Cody was on another level. The stuff with Jericho and Max rank highly in my favourite AEW feuds to date. Saying that, gotta recognize that he did probably have more misses than hits later on.

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

On 10/23/2022 at 10:54 PM, username said:

I am... hesitant about talk that shifts blame onto Kenny and the Bucks not because I am fans of them or think they are angels, but it is the venture capital move to find some "small timers" who've come up with something garnering a response, team up with them and then sort of run them out of the company while claiming all of the benefits for yourself. That thought very slightly started percolating in the back of my mind back when Tony Kahn initially went "I've changed my mind, I'm now solely in charge of creative" early on and from that perspective a lot of the "shocking" AEW events of 2022 take on a very different appearance.

Regardless of what one thinks of the initial EVPs they are the ones who started all of this and if they all end up no longer Elite right before the company cashes in it would be both unfortunate and sadly typical.

Whether or not the Elite being gone from AEW would be unfortunate is a matter of opinion. That super long, interminable, self aggrandizing, pretentious, however long reign they had as AEW champ & tag team champs told me everything I needed to know, mainly that great matches for the sake of great matches are every bit as pointless as comedy bits on raw. Under their watch, ratings stagnated and more talented, more over teams were passed over so the young bucks could remind everyone how great they are at doing moves. Those three moving on would open up three spots for younger, more consistent, more deserving talents. From the “startup” analogy you used, which I liked, I’d be curious as to how much of their own money Omega & the Bucks put into aew. It’s not like TK is ripping them off or something. At this point the Elite guys can kind of be viewed like George Lucas after the sale to Disney. Nice to have around, but not at all necessary to the sustained success of the brand.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2022 at 11:18 AM, NoFistsJustFlips said:

On 10/22/2022 at 5:16 PM, BohsJohnny said:

Page was the one who went into business for himself on live TV first, how on earth was he the only one who was professional? 

hahahaha, what?!  You mean to tell me that the guy who made his name on breaking the 4th wall, couldn't handle a PG esque "attack" on him?  With all due respect, get the fuck outta here.  Like someone stated prior, Page's promo was prophetic because everything he said that was taken issue with was made true.  I might be naive, but there are a lot of malicious malcontents in wrestling, i dont think Hangman is one of them.  There are also a lot of thin skinned primadonnas in wrestling, and i think CM Punk leads that charge.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

hahahaha, what?!  You mean to tell me that the guy who made his name on breaking the 4th wall, couldn't handle a PG esque "attack" on him?  With all due respect, get the fuck outta here.  Like someone stated prior, Page's promo was prophetic because everything he said that was taken issue with was made true.  I might be naive, but there are a lot of malicious malcontents in wrestling, i dont think Hangman is one of them.  There are also a lot of thin skinned primadonnas in wrestling, and i think CM Punk leads that charge.

It's amazing to me how that promo is now justified cause Punk turned out to be a prick like we all knew already. Page shit himself on live TV multiple times in the build up to that match and people just give him a pass for it still. 

I remember Punk's reaction to it when he returned from injury was brought up and most fans and people in the media were like "I didn't even remember that promo". It was one of the weirdest most rambling nonsensical promos in years and it didn't register with you afterwards? I guess people rather their favourites be passive-aggressive types instead of someone who'll just say fuck you. Each to own I guess. 

Edited by BohsJohnny

I find it interesting that people are lumping Omega and the Bucks together as workers, because to me they're quite different. I can only judge them on their AEW work, but from what I've seen Kenny has been consistently great, full stop. His matches combine good storytelling with good spots to create a whole that's greater than its parts.

The Bucks... not so much. They definitely have spectacular spots, but their matches seem structured around getting those spots in and nothing else. And I particularly hate how, when they're working heel, the babyfaces act as stooges for their comedy spots. Drives me crazy. I remember one six-man match where Adam Cole put Jungle Boy in a chinlock and the Bucks proceeded to run the ropes for twenty seconds before stopping and kissing Cole on the cheeks. That turns Jungle Boy into a joke, and he's a guy they should be building into a star. (It didn't help his partners any that they seemingly couldn't break it up, either.) Terrible spot.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

I find it interesting that people are lumping Omega and the Bucks together as workers, because to me they're quite different. I can only judge them on their AEW work, but from what I've seen Kenny has been consistently great, full stop. His matches combine good storytelling with good spots to create a whole that's greater than its parts.

The Bucks... not so much. They definitely have spectacular spots, but their matches seem structured around getting those spots in and nothing else. And I particularly hate how, when they're working heel, the babyfaces act as stooges for their comedy spots. Drives me crazy. I remember one six-man match where Adam Cole put Jungle Boy in a chinlock and the Bucks proceeded to run the ropes for twenty seconds before stopping and kissing Cole on the cheeks. That turns Jungle Boy into a joke, and he's a guy they should be building into a star. (It didn't help his partners any that they seemingly couldn't break it up, either.) Terrible spot.

You know what? That’s fair. Not being able to separate omega from the bucks is probably my Hangup more than it is anything they’ve done. I don’t particularly enjoy any of their work, but iiwii…

• Like 2

Kenny Omega is so overwrought and indulgent on offense it's like watching Lea Michelle doing a musical number sometimes. I haven't really enjoyed Kenny in AEW other than Moxley beating the hell out of him. 

Bucks day-to-day matches are generally miserable but their big matches rock.  I always want to hate on them but they definitely bring it and are somehow less musical number than the typical overwrought indulgent bullshit from Kenny. 

• Like 2