DVDVR Message Board

AEW - OCTOBER 2022

The Natural

So in this promo, one of the things Hangman said is (paraphrasing) that being a champion is not just about what happens when the cameras are on, but what happens when the red light goes off.

Whether Hangman "went in to business for himself" with the worker's rights comment, by responding the way he did (even if the press conference was a bit worked), Punk eventually proved Hangman right if you ask me. And maybe a bit more contentious, but Hangman wound up eventually being pretty much right about protecting AEW from Punk, too - in character or not, it wound up being prophetic. 

Edited by Teflon Turtle
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Punk's a thin-skinned baby who hates his mother and put Colt on blast because he can't sympathize with people who would help their family financially

Hornswoggle asking Punk for someone's phone number and then Punk replying "YOU USED ME" and severing contact with him is all you need to know - the dude has control issues

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Jiji said:

Punk and Danielson winning your title adds prestige to it. You don't want guys overshadowing your world title. Beating Punk or Danielson for the belt is a huge accomplishment and now Punk has abandoned MJF TWICE~!

Not sure if I phrased myself poorly or if you’re oversimplifying what I am saying. ? Yes and no. I’m not speaking as always but in this specific situation it could go either way and would not have hurt Punk’s popularity to put over Hangman on their first encounter. The same logic of bigger star being champ would say Danielson should have beaten Page originally. Which is a fair opinion to have. I was speaking in hindsight. 

Did all the people that now seemingly hate Phil feel that way when he came in and popped ratings and buy ratesfir the company? 

I mean, it was always TK making a Faustian pact that was probably going to end in flames, right? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DEAN said:

FUCK YEAH! PUT THE BELT ON HIM!

An eventual Penta title run would make me so happy. Put him on every night talk show and have a celebrity guest star moment on every sitcom and be the romantic love interest on every soap opera and be court side at every basketball game and AEW would become the leader in not just wrestling but entertainment as a whole. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
1 hour ago, DEAN said:

FUCK YEAH! PUT THE BELT ON HIM!

Only if his first defense is a successful one over Bryan Danielson.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
1 minute ago, Octopus said:

Honestly, that would be a fun bloody match. ORRRRRR: For one night only, Danielson brings back the Yes Chants and we get a taunt off full hour draw. 

I vote taunt-off.

JR: Sasslefrass! Danielson does another Yes Chant!

Regal: We’ve been training that taunt in the mat room for hours until blood poured out of every hole in our body.

Excalibur: And Penta with another Zero Mero!

Regal: Good observation, you heated up Rustic Apple Tart!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 11

6 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Did all the people that now seemingly hate Phil feel that way when he came in and popped ratings and buy ratesfir the company?

Yes. The book's been out on CM Punk for 20 years, for anyone who's willing to listen. This is a guy who complained on shoot interviews about people who criticized his work, as if they had no right, then turned around and fixed all the things that were criticized. Intentionally bled during a match into the lap of a fan he didn't like. Threw Adam Pearce into a guardrail so hard it bashed my now-wife's knee, and when he saw that it hurt her, he shrugged his shoulders and did it again. After the gripebomb, some Punk-lovers in another Discord said, "Oh crap Dog, guess you were right about him." Did you think I was fucking making shit up?

Yet despite that, I thought his presence in the company (before he relaxed and revealed himself) was an overall positive. Easily the best work of his career, and yes, as @Matt Dsaid, his newfound methodical, thoughtful style (a new trick for him) might have inspired younger guys who aren't as excited about Dragon as Daniel Garcia is. So I'm torn. I don't think good things should happen to bad people, but his work was good and ticket sales have slumped with him gone. It's tough.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

The style recalibration thing, with Punk's scoop slams getting a big pop and everything, seems like a real wasted opportunity

Weird to think that in the last decade NXT had got to the point where wrestlers were getting big reactions from crowds in high profile matches doing spinning heel kicks and belly to belly suplexes as finishers, and now we're at this constant parade of head drops on the apron and whatever else

(not that AEW is to blame for that, NXT veered into the OTT maximalist direction post-Gargano-Andrade of its own accord, but AEW has certainly enthusiastically enshrined a lot of the most counterproductive aspects of the modern indie style)

• Like 3

Other than actually trying to wrestle a good match during his apuestas with Villano IV, what has Penta done to earn a title shot? He’s been the least member of his tag and trios teams this year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I mean, it was always TK making a Faustian pact that was probably going to end in flames, right? 

Doesn’t matter what anyone has to say about him. He is his own worst enemy.

Hope he gets some help for it.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2022 at 8:12 PM, odessasteps said:

I mean, I always thought it was dumb to put the title on him, especially putting him over Mox. I think Mox knew it was dumb, too. 

I’ve never really understood the level of devotion Punk inspires in his fan base. Did I think it was cool when he called hhh a doofus on live tv? Yeah. But he’s always been painfully overrated as a wrestler. And no one overrates him more than he overrates himself. I 100% believe AEW will be better off long term without him…

• Like 1

I also thought Bryan Alvarez had some interesting things to say about Kenny’s presence backstage and his politicking for himself and the Bucks. TK might be better off with the Elite gone along with Punk and Jericho, Mox and Dragon in those backstage leadership roles…

Everyone should be fired except Chaos Project and the Wingmen. Seven Best of Seven Series’s to crown the new Best of Seven Faction title. Winner gets attacked by the New Horsemen and we get seven more best of sevens. Turns out Bryce Remsberg was a heel lucha ref the whole time. Nullifies the Best of Seven title. Seven Best of Seven Round Robins between the New Horsemen, The Wingmen, and Chaos Project. It writes itself, Tony. Step up.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I am... hesitant about talk that shifts blame onto Kenny and the Bucks not because I am fans of them or think they are angels, but it is the venture capital move to find some "small timers" who've come up with something garnering a response, team up with them and then sort of run them out of the company while claiming all of the benefits for yourself. That thought very slightly started percolating in the back of my mind back when Tony Kahn initially went "I've changed my mind, I'm now solely in charge of creative" early on and from that perspective a lot of the "shocking" AEW events of 2022 take on a very different appearance.

Regardless of what one thinks of the initial EVPs they are the ones who started all of this and if they all end up no longer Elite right before the company cashes in it would be both unfortunate and sadly typical.

• Like 9