DVDVR Message Board

AEW - OCTOBER 2022

The Natural

Punk was undoing a decade and a half of stylistic in-ring damage (some of which was his own doing from years ago) and a few years on top would have hopefully set a tone that would have inspired the next generation to adhere meaning and struggle to every (organic looking, non-cooperative) spot. That said, it's probably ok if Punk never comes back so long as Christian has a 3 year title run. They should just get right on that when he gets healthy again. Everyone's second choice is good enough for me.

Spoiler

christian-cage-christian.gif

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 5

Is this the right thread to post your opinion on the Bucks and Kenny? I love them! I love their incredibly fun character work (especially as heels) and I love all their exciting athletic matches. I can't remember the last Bucks or Kenny bout that I didn't love. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Is this the right thread to post your opinion on the Bucks and Kenny? I love them! I love their incredibly fun character work (especially as heels) and I love all their exciting athletic matches. I can't remember the last Bucks or Kenny bout that I didn't love. 

As someone who wasn't a fan of the Bucks or Omega at any point (barring Omega in AJPW), they really did tone down some of the things I hated about them pre-AEW and I can make it through a segment with them on TV now, and even enjoy their matches on TV. I've been doing a Rewind Watch including Darks from the get go and The Bucks really did have some nice matches on the initial Darks. Right now for my watch I'm at All Out 2020, last thing watched was Avalon's turn on Cutler on the Dark before.

• Like 2

Is Paige VanZant gonna be used ever again or was the whole "...is All Elite" thing just for that one storyline? I just saw a tweet of hers pop up on my Twitter timeline (stupid algorithm) and had to remember she was/is still signed to AEW.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Krone Meltzer said:

Is Paige VanZant gonna be used ever again or was the whole "...is All Elite" thing just for that one storyline? I just saw a tweet of hers pop up on my Twitter timeline (stupid algorithm) and had to remember she was/is still signed to AEW.

Well she had a fight with BKFC scheduled recently but they pulled it with no real explanation. Didn't tell her or anything. 

You'd think she would be another name you'd want out there mixing it up on a weekly basis with the star power she has. A Saraya/Paige feud (lol) would probably attract a lot of eyeballs one would think with how big their respective fan bases are.

• Like 2

I am still so bummed out about the Punk situation. 

It's been almost 10 years so forgive me if I misremember but did he not say back on Colt's podcast that if he got that itch again he'd probably go wrestle the Bucks in Reseda? Now the beautiful sweat box is no more and gone with it PWG's charm.

Omega wearing the Cookie Monster shirt. 

Punk asking Hangman for some chaps. 

From cooking with oil and it all in front of us to this. He's gonna go main event night 4 of a buy one get one free extravaganza. 

A school teacher posted footage of his elementary wrestling club watching Omega vs. Okada I and it made me smile. Can't hyperlink on my phone so here's the link. 

https://twitter.com/wallflowerperry/status/1583565791097602048?t=DlTzrx8H6AkXSkm52-RBPQ&s=19

Joy.

And because of this foolishness we will not get more of this Punk run. No Punk vs. Omega. Doubt we get another Bucks vs. FTR. Sadness. 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Matt D said:

Punk was undoing a decade and a half of stylistic in-ring damage (some of which was his own doing from years ago) and a few years on top would have hopefully set a tone that would have inspired the next generation to adhere meaning and struggle to every (organic looking, non-cooperative) spot. That said, it's probably ok if Punk never comes back so long as Christian has a 3 year title run. They should just get right on that when he gets healthy again. Everyone's second choice is good enough for me.

Reveal hidden contents

christian-cage-christian.gif

Punk’s return was a great trifecta of enjoyment. Great matches, captivating promos, and entertaining storylines. His return segment alone is a top AEW moment and one of my personal favorites in recent wrestling history. His early enthusiasm was contagious and lead to so much more excitement to a product I have fallen in love with. Punk’s storyline of working through ring-rust by struggling against lower and mid card workers was so cool in giving young workers a match with one of their heroes and reasonably allowing them a realistic control segment. Fun Bret Hart nostalgia moments. Punk vs MJF was a top 3 if not best feud in AEW. I really loved the Mox squash. The way everything ended up and potentially was actually behind the scenes is a true shame.

• Like 8

19 hours ago, Sammo~! said:

Except Hangman. He's a sweetheart

I'll forever die on the hill that Hangman was the only professional one out of all of them.

Part of me thinks that Punk went after Hangman because he knew he could when his real issues were with the rest of the Elite.  Hangman doesn't want confrontation, dude just wants to wrestle, put on some awesome matches and go on about his day.  The more I mull on that, the more I dislike Punk(which i didn't think was possible), because he tried going after the "Easiest" part of the Elite and then bit off more than he could chew because he's an arrogant, self absorbed asshole.

I don't miss him at all, though despite my personal feelings on him, the MJF feud was just amazing from beginning to end and im glad we at least got that before he imploded.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Casey said:

She said on Instagram AMA that she’s just waiting for the call for her next match. She’s still training and stuff.

According to Meltzer, she stopped training after her match.

5 minutes ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

I'll forever die on the hill that Hangman was the only professional one out of all of them.

Part of me thinks that Punk went after Hangman because he knew he could when his real issues were with the rest of the Elite.  Hangman doesn't want confrontation, dude just wants to wrestle, put on some awesome matches and go on about his day.  The more I mull on that, the more I dislike Punk(which i didn't think was possible), because he tried going after the "Easiest" part of the Elite and then bit off more than he could chew because he's an arrogant, self absorbed asshole.

I don't miss him at all, though despite my personal feelings on him, the MJF feud was just amazing from beginning to end and im glad we at least got that before he imploded.

It’s a tough decision we see different sports teams make. Usually much different circumstances though. Do you go with the established big star/ championship caliber player with less of a shelf life or a build of potential with the younger talent. 
A team could face this dilemma due to contract reasons or awkwardly bad blood like we saw with this mess. Situation basis which can often go either way. With this specific scenario, I came out admiring Page more. Assuming the details on everything was accurate.
I will say in ring, I slightly prefer old man Punk. But if the injury issues are due to age accompanied with long in activity then it would be tough to invest in him. I’m much much much higher on Page and his in ring work than others on here, respectfully. He should always be in the fold as a potential champion or cornerstone of the company. So I guess if it’s a Page or Punk scenario, I go Hangman.
RAMBLING CONTINUED!!!

In hindsight, a CM Punk title run is a mistake. Not just because of the drama but honestly, Punk to me is like Danielson in that he didn’t really need a title run. Punk is your most over talent, he could have still done more outside of the title picture with great story driven feuds that would allow for more star power spread throughout the card, like how they use Jericho. You still have the Punk card in your back pocket to save the company from a heel champion. All this in hindsight, of course. 

• Like 5

Punk and Danielson winning your title adds prestige to it. You don't want guys overshadowing your world title. Beating Punk or Danielson for the belt is a huge accomplishment and now Punk has abandoned MJF TWICE~!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Punk and Danielson winning your title adds prestige to it. You don't want guys overshadowing your world title. Beating Punk or Danielson for the belt is a huge accomplishment and now Punk has abandoned MJF TWICE~!

That’s a great point. Hope Max brings it up in the build to his match with Punk at WrestleMania 40.

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

Page was the one who went into business for himself on live TV first, how on earth was he the only one who was professional? 

• Haha 3

So in this promo, one of the things Hangman said is (paraphrasing) that being a champion is not just about what happens when the cameras are on, but what happens when the red light goes off.

Whether Hangman "went in to business for himself" with the worker's rights comment, by responding the way he did (even if the press conference was a bit worked), Punk eventually proved Hangman right if you ask me. And maybe a bit more contentious, but Hangman wound up eventually being pretty much right about protecting AEW from Punk, too - in character or not, it wound up being prophetic. 

Edited by Teflon Turtle
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Punk's a thin-skinned baby who hates his mother and put Colt on blast because he can't sympathize with people who would help their family financially

Hornswoggle asking Punk for someone's phone number and then Punk replying "YOU USED ME" and severing contact with him is all you need to know - the dude has control issues

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Jiji said:

Not sure if I phrased myself poorly or if you’re oversimplifying what I am saying. ? Yes and no. I’m not speaking as always but in this specific situation it could go either way and would not have hurt Punk’s popularity to put over Hangman on their first encounter. The same logic of bigger star being champ would say Danielson should have beaten Page originally. Which is a fair opinion to have. I was speaking in hindsight.