DVDVR Message Board

AEW - OCTOBER 2022

The Natural

I'll stop with talking about my kids after this one, I swear.

My son was also doing Claudio's neck crank taunt at his soccer game last week. We had to have a talk about not trash-talking like a wrestler when he plays.

I think I've told this story here before, but I love it so much. So, a few years ago, my wife gets a recommendation from a guy she works with on a painter for our living room. Turns out, this painter is Marvelous Mitch Ryder. I had met him before in a wrestling context, so we chat about wrestling a lot while he's painting (or supposed to be painting much to my wife's chagrin). He talks about when Lince Dorado got injured in their big Chikara match and tells some stories of getting dragged into a death match where he took zero bumps. So much fun. At this time, my daughter was really into NXT. Samoa Joe was champ and she hated him. She lets Ryder know that she doesn't like Joe and asks if he ever wrestled him. He jumps right into promo voice, and says, "No, darlin', I've never rassled him, but if I ever do, I'll whoop him real good for you!" It's corny, but that's a "why I love pro wrestling" moment right there. So beautiful.

• Like 16

I try my best to keep wrestling away from my kids. They're just too young. The only exposure they've had is going to a nxt spot show a few years back on the coconut loop because some things are more important than being a responsible parent. 

Last year we were flipping through the channels and AEW came on. My son wants to watch. I tell him we can't watch because it's fighting. Very matter of factly he starts explaining to me that wrestling is not actually fighting  and "sometimes as a man you just need to wrestle in your underwear."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 13

In spite of these critiques, Khan also made it clear that he has his eyes on the prize of Dave Meltzer's Booker Of The Year, noting that he has three months left to take the honor home.

"I'm gonna make a full-court press to get it

I'm here for an unhinged award-season campaign. More drama! 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Technico Support said:

Oh shit double top secret suspensions for Andrade and Sammy?

Tony: Hey 10, want to lose your mask?

10: No

Tony: Ok, sorry to bother you sir!

Andrade: I'm not leaving

Tony: Ok, so I already planned on firing you...

Andrade: I'm not leaving

Tony: Ok, sorry to bother you sir!

• Haha 6

Jesus Christ. Looks like I dramatically over-estimated the creative foresight of this fellow if he genuinely just doesn't have a handle on practically anything from the top of the card to the bottom. Described him as an ADHD-Booker before; at this point particularly with this obsession for public adulation it feels like a dopamine-starved crash phase. Save your sanity and pull a writer's room together; trying to carry this all single handedly can't be healthy.

Edited by A_K
  • Like 1