DVDVR Message Board

AEW - OCTOBER 2022

The Natural

7 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

The negative comments concerning booking and management of this promotion are fair enough, but they're easily met with the question: what would you do... wait... with the endless unforeseen (see negative) circumstances that have come up over the past 3 years? Ppl think of an idea in their head of what would be cool or work better, but then pay little to no time with the reality of injuries, mental health, politics, and the endless undiscussed or lesser known variables that play into this endless schedule. It seems like a minor miracle, or just insane hard work from a clearly competent group, that AEW even exists after the pandemic. They just lost 4 of their top stars and yet continue to book/produce some pretty consistently outstanding television week to week. As they have all year and for 3 years now. Not to say there hasn't been some poor creative choices (or that they don't happen every week), but what wrestling TV show has ever batted this kind of average? What wrestling promotion has provided as much weekly TV fun in the last 20 plus years? 

Well if I tony K made me his Consigliere the first thing I would say is stop bring in people if you don't have a clear plan of use for them, I understand the need/want of a deep bench but I understand Andrea being frustrated if after a year he's still pretty much spinning his wheels

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

For those who have been to AEW shows...what is the tshirt selection like their stands??

Surprisingly lackluster at the show I was at in March. I was in a good mood and ready to buy a ton of merch and they didn't have any Punk, Moxley or Orange Cassidy shirts. Got a really nice AEW Live shirt but was disappointed in the selection. Seemed like a big missed opportunity on AEW's part

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

As someone already eloquently posted .. get rid of them both. This Andrade character is an absolute clown. He starts off with Vicki Guerrero which sucks. He moves to Chavo which sucks. He has a program with Matt Hardy (both suck). Has a program with Darby that sucks (lest we forget Darby was a bonafide main event ratings draw for them before he got stuck in this 15 month long nothingness with Sting). There's more and more clouds around his comments away from the screen with all this vulgar, unimaginative Twitter shenanigans around his release with zero character work or creative upside to it. It feels like he's been there for absolute ever .. then I checked and he's only done 2 months more than Danielson who feels as fresh as the day he arrived! By my count Andrade has only had 5 single bouts in about 15 months on Dynamite, and yet there's hardly a more tired act on the entire show.

Guevara had that great early program with Darby .. and that was his peak. Sting is to Darby as Jericho was to Guevara. Ok, give them a few months together but fuck me .. switch it up eventually or at least have the program steer to some sort of meaningful, defined end. Guevara has been trashed by booking, but given he comes off as even trashier than Andrade off-screen perhaps thats not a bad thing (that Pam stuff was possibly the most batshit crazy thing in AEW history)? He'd be maxing out at NXT level over on the other show, absolutely no questions about that ..

Edited by A_K
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, zendragon said:

The live entertainment market is especially saturated right now. EVERYONE is trying to tour after two years of nothing

Yeah, I keep hearing about shows at all sorts of random venues in Austin, and I've missed a bunch because everyone is also charging a shit ton of money for tickets to make up for the two years of nothing.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Infinit said:

For those who have been to AEW shows...what is the tshirt selection like their stands??

Relatively limited to general AEW, some of the big stars and newest stuff, and I think they do a limited shirt for each show. I didn't see any shirts I would wear, although I was looking for some of my low-card/Youtube favorites and things that didn't scream WRESTLING shirt (he says even though he bought an AEW baseball hat).

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Relatively limited to general AEW, some of the big stars and newest stuff, and I think they do a limited shirt for each show. I didn't see any shirts I would wear, although I was looking for some of my low-card/Youtube favorites and things that didn't scream WRESTLING shirt (he says even though he bought an AEW baseball hat).

It's funny...all the AEW shirts I have are either CM Punk or Elite related. It was too late to put in an order with PWT to send to my sister who's coming up to Toronto this weekend for Thanksgiving. So I called the Hot Topics in my area and found out that their limited AEW stock were in clearance and were buy 1, get 1 for $1. So I ended up getting the MJF Better Than The Best In The World and Send Hook Tshirts for $25. But I want to get a shirt at the shows. Definitely would grab an FTR shirt if they have them. Hopefully the show exclusive is a cool one!

• Like 3

I'm getting the feeling that a certain percentage of the AEW roster is viewing Tony Kahn as a money mark who is in over his head. I'm sure the WWE was frustrating for a lot of people, but the grass isn't always greener. And in the WWE you might be told "no" to whatever idea you're pitching and you can't understand why you're being told "no." But that's a lot better than being told "yes!" but not being able to actually pull of what you're looking to do because the guy calling the shots is all over the map. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

I'm getting the feeling that a certain percentage of the AEW roster is viewing Tony Kahn as a money mark who is in over his head. I'm sure the WWE was frustrating for a lot of people, but the grass isn't always greener. And in the WWE you might be told "no" to whatever idea you're pitching and you can't understand why you're being told "no." But that's a lot better than being told "yes!" but not being able to actually pull of what you're looking to do because the guy calling the shots is all over the map. 

I certainly see that - I mean Tony's dad basically was go spend some of your inheritance on this. Conversely, money marks tend to run out of money and promotions go away...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Two petty current midcard heels who haven't had any business together on television since March? I'm putting my chips on total embarrassment. 

I feel like I have missed the hype on Adrade. Seriously - Rush has has been amazing in his short time.  Sammy - someone else said it best. Sometimes you get over your skis too much. Best thing he could do is put down the phone and live most of his life off camera. 

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

It's funny...all the AEW shirts I have are either CM Punk or Elite related. It was too late to put in an order with PWT to send to my sister who's coming up to Toronto this weekend for Thanksgiving. So I called the Hot Topics in my area and found out that their limited AEW stock were in clearance and were buy 1, get 1 for $1. So I ended up getting the MJF Better Than The Best In The World and Send Hook Tshirts for $25. But I want to get a shirt at the shows. Definitely would grab an FTR shirt if they have them. Hopefully the show exclusive is a cool one!

I never go to Hot Topic, didn’t even think about that but also don’t need more t-shirts. And I was hoping for an Acclaimed shirt, which would of course not be a problem to get at the show. The only other thing I got was a Sting enamel pin, since I collect those sort of and he’s my all-time fave.

• Like 1

Hot Topic used to sell tons of AEW shirts. now the only 2 I see are MJF and the newest CM Punk shirt.  I've been to 3 locations and same selections.  I concur with the poster who mentioned live events not selling a ton of merch. I believe they had 4-5 shirts, and a few of the figures. Huge missed opportunity as their merch lines were bigger than any WWE line I've seen.

• Like 2

Andrade was really good in NXT when he was paired with Zelina Vega. They were an awesome duo. She was a great obnoxious mouthpiece and he played condescending pompous jerk off fantastically well. Andrade is really good. There are arguments to be made that his match against Gargano was the best singles match in NXT history. I don't think I'd go that far but it was awesome. 

I don't think Andrade works well as the leader of a stable. He works well with a valet/mouthpiece. I love Vickie and think she's an all-time great performer. But they didn't match well because she's best as an irritant for some mid-card type and not as a mastermind. Andrade should be the top guy in a stable but he needs a JJ Dillon to handle everyone's affairs. 

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Andrade was really good in NXT when he was paired with Zelina Vega. They were an awesome duo. She was a great obnoxious mouthpiece and he played condescending pompous jerk off fantastically well. Andrade is really good. There are arguments to be made that his match against Gargano was the best singles match in NXT history. I don't think I'd go that far but it was awesome. 

I don't think Andrade works well as the leader of a stable. He works well with a valet/mouthpiece. I love Vickie and think she's an all-time great performer. But they didn't match well because she's best as an irritant for some mid-card type and not as a mastermind. Andrade should be the top guy in a stable but he needs a JJ Dillon to handle everyone's affairs. 

This is a great idea and makes me wish Paul would do a modern day Dangerous Alliance. Heyman could work wonders with Andrade. My big Andrade gripe was him losing the coffin match to Darby and then returning as if nothing even happened.  His booking has been weak in WWE and sadly even weaker in AEW. Was really hoping for more 

Having said that Andrade>Sammy all day every day 

7 hours ago, Infinit said:

5 hours ago, StevieNippz said:

Surprisingly lackluster at the show I was at in March. I was in a good mood and ready to buy a ton of merch and they didn't have any Punk, Moxley or Orange Cassidy shirts. Got a really nice AEW Live shirt but was disappointed in the selection. Seemed like a big missed opportunity on AEW's part

3 hours ago, JLowe said:

2 hours ago, Infinit said:

I read before the merchandise options were poor at AEW shows. You'd think that would be better when you have people wanting to purchase. At WWE Live you get 4-5 of different individual shirts and the I Was There shirt. I always get the latter and of a wrestler, last time Roman Reigns' Head of the Table.

28 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Such a great pairing, Andrade and Zelina Vega. That match you mention, Andrade vs. Johnny Gargano from NXT TakeOver: Philadelphia is not only to me the best singles match in NXT history, it's the best match in NXT history and one of the best in WWE's history. *****.

I think Sammy would be about 20,000 times better if he came up through NXT. There is a giant track record of people in NXT who learned how to perform as a character. Sami Zayn is probably the best in the world right now and until he signed with NXT he was under a mask pretending to be Mexican. 

Sammy has the tools. He has a great pretty boy look. He's athletic as hell. But aside from public displays of affection with Tay is a crummy promo and doesn't know when to be vicious or when to be a cheap shot artist or when to look to the crowd for heat. That kind of stuff is really hard to learn. But he's in constant matches and the like with Chris Jericho, who is one of the best ever at the subtle timing needed in wrestling. But learning it once a week from Jericho (or if they train together at all elsewhere, which I doubt) isn't enough.  

Sammy has also been really bad with cursing in promos or giving the finger or etc. All of that just tells me that he's never really worked on promos, or he doesn't know why a promo is a good promo, and he doesn't know how to work as a character. I think he'd be in a better situation where he'd have more guardrails.

• Like 7