DVDVR Message Board

AEW - OCTOBER 2022

The Natural

I don't blame Sammy one bit for the Tay stuff, but I do think he's just a young and dumb kid to go lightspeed from dating, to engaged, to married in the span of a year. But hey, what's a wrestler without making boneheaded relationship decisions?

• Like 3

From the first time I saw Sammy I thought he was a whole lot of nothing, generic spot guy and couldn't for the life of me see why people were so high on him, let alone that he would be one of the four young pillars of the company. I don't know anything about what goes on backstage, but just judging by talent in front of the camera, Andrade absolutely smokes Sammy for my money.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, (BP) said:

The stuff with Andrade and Sammy is either clever booking or another total embarrassment for the company. I guess we’ll see. 

Two petty current midcard heels who haven't had any business together on television since March? I'm putting my chips on total embarrassment. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Two petty current midcard heels who haven't had any business together on television since March? I'm putting my chips on total embarrassment. 

Plus Ricky Starks tweeted (and deleted) "why can't my coworkers shut the fuck up for a minute" and suggested AEW bring in Hunico to solve their problems. Then he posted this pic lol:

notice the pillar, of course.

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, matt925 said:

Ban everyone from social media for a month. Sucks when a few bad apples ruin it for everyone. If this is in any way a work, they can’t run me off faster with all this stupid shooty shit. If it’s real then it’s yet another embarrassment for the company. Don’t give people live mics and social media accounts, because some clearly can’t handle it. 

I keep thinking, "don't actual real companies have social media policies?"  You know, policies that try to discourage employees from airing embarrassing company business on social media?  I know wrestling is different from real businesses (just go ahead and imagine that in the Spongebob meme font, thanks), but this is embarrassing. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, matt925 said:

Ban everyone from social media for a month. 

Would do nothing but kick the can down the road. If this is behaviour people really want to change, it's either an outright social media ban (which would be a poor promotional practice) or everything is managed by the company or needs to be approved. Maybe fines for people who get out of line in interviews. And I know Tony likes sharing with his friends in the "wrestling media," but press scrums are done forever.

Don't know how hard the big guy would want to crackdown, but a month is only deferring headaches.

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SprintingFromAmerica said:

Sammy's 'jobber' tweet was believed to be a shot at Shawn Spears, who tweet-deleted something implying he was on the way out of AEW. 

Seems a weird shot to take, always got the impression Spears was well liked among his peers.

Reminder: he did not protect Ruby Soho

He should have been APA'd for that one frankly, gwan Andrade is what I say.

The funny/awful part is Ruby's injury wasn't from anything Sammy did, but from another incident within the same match. Poor Ruby. She deserves better.

• Like 3

• Sammy's double springboard bullshit cutter
  • Cody Cutter
  • Ozcutter
  • Lethal Injection

All these garbage-ass cutters that require the opponent to stand, stunned, as time stands still, waiting forever for the guy on offense to do some elaborate parkour, can fuck right off.  Any cutter that takes more than 1.5 seconds and is more convoluted than "I grab your head and fall" is unnecessary. 

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 8

4 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

While we're shitting on Sammy the GTH is also a dumb move that he usually executes poorly.

Speaking of...didn't he get into a Twitter spat with Donovan Dijak over that move? 

At some point, you learn that you don't need to engage every single time you disagree with words on the internet.  Mfers out here treating a dumb Tweet like they just saw the Bat Signal.  I MUST GO!  SOMEONE POSTED SOMETHING THAT I CANNOT LET STAND!

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

Sammy is a joke and not worth the headache. I almost shut off the debut of Dynamite a few minutes in when I saw him wearing that stupid panda hat on the way to the ring. Bland personality, sloppy wrestling, and backstage nightmare adds up to "see ya later!" Let WWE have him, I think he'd max out as a curtain jerker there.

• Like 1

Maybe it's worth noting, but in an alternate universe AEW had or has both Flip and Scurl on their roster and things are significantly worse with those two on the roster. So maybe all of this Twitter bitching isn't so bad? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, A_K said:

This conflates two issues. There should be little doubt, I think, that Khan works like a trojan. Sure, he's not a self-made man or anything even remotely approaching it, but he's clearly immensely driven and is involved in a lot of projects apart from AEW (even if not full-time-devoted). They grinded like trojans to make the best of the pandemic era, and it was impressive how quick they were to escalate live performances to stadia like Arthur Ashe and The United Center coming immediately out of it. That deserves respect.

Creatively they've been in an utter malaise. There are clearly a few very easy objective answers to the "what would you do" question that don't require any imparting of taste at all. What you don't do is bloat the roster up to multiples-of-a-size of historically-great promotions with equivalently far more TV time. That has presented the biggest issue of them all for them, and you can bet fairly accurately that it has also been at the root of various conflicts off-screen (of varying degrees) where entertainers feel they are not being promoted enough and/or given what they were promised. What you don't do is have 8 separate AEW titles with a combination of 11 holders (+ interim) in addition to a host of ROH titles and other promotions brought onto the TV. It gets to the point where you're more remarkable without a title than with one, and no titles have worth.

Re: Bloated Roster Theory
The Bloated roster as has been pointed out time and time again pays off pretty well with all the injuries, suspensions etc. For me, the ppl that come to mind when this term is bandied about is Miro now, and FTR a year back. FTR had numerous health/mental health issues that kinda tied that one up in a nice little bow. I'm not sure on Miro, but I have a hard time believing it's a matter of Tony not wanting to use him. If I'm wrong, bloat-bloat-bloated!!! Cut 'em all and the ma-ba-illionaire corporate owner! 

Re: Belts
I sorta agree. I fucking despise all these title belts floating around. In general, secondary belts are ridiculously overrated, but seeing as ppl can't seem to stop talking about them (see the Trios title conversation over the first two years), to each their own. All that said, I like the purchase of ROH and look forward to the eventual Television show. As far as all their belts being on AEW TV each week, I'll continue to suck it up for now as there's currently no other venue for ROH. Chalk that one up to the long game. The AAA, NJPW titles are fine by me. I like the crossover. Not a fan of trios titles (but loved that tournament). I didn't think the Women's Division needed another singles strap, and I hate that it MUST be featured on every PPV. The All-Atlantic seemed incredibly stupid until they started having Pac matches from the UK which sold me on this. Sorta.

Then you start to go into the minutiae .. and MJF/Acclaimed aside (who were already world-class talents in 20/21 .. it just took some a little longer to catch on than others), I'd challenge a viewer to highlight any talent of theirs who have really elevated themselves over the past 12 months. Far more have fallen flat (Darby; Perry; Page) than excelled .. and given the prior 12 months those guys had, they had to work really, really hard creatively to fuck the shine up to the extent that they have on so many.

Its been easily retrievable at so many points, but the more they drift into this Exhibition Style promotion (Jericho/ROH Open Bouts, Wardlow Open Bouts .. ?) the more they're going to cut the live audiences adrift, and the more it'll start to reflect in the at-home numbers.

Wheeler Yuta? Daniel Garcia? Jamie Hayter? On Hayter, it seems despite the booking, but surely I don't need to explain either of the other two. And what about Brian Pillman Junior! Just kidding. Tho, I do have perhaps unrealistic hopes for a potential Pillman-Brock team. Or how bout Hook? Not to say he's always been booked so well, but clearly he's pretty well over at his experience level. I don't really see Darby faltering any. He's been quietly and arguably one of the best wrestlers in the whole wide world over the past year. Jungle Jack and Adam Page seem in good positions. Could the booking have been better? Sure, but Growing pains occur. MJF seems quite a lot bigger in the past 12 months than he was a year ago. I have a hard time imagining a year ago the Acclaimed being as over as they've been in the past month. I think something must have clicked in this past 12 months. Bowens may have been ready in-ring last year, but Caster wasn't. I'm not entirely sure he is now.

Re: Exhibition style
Suddenly there's heat on ROH, so I'm not sure the 'Ring of Jericho' can even in these early stages be called anything less than a fantastic storyline. We'll see where it goes, but I'm feeling a lot better than you about that one. I think we share similar feelings on Wardy. But that's not an easy thing to book. It requires a lot of talent sacrifice - seemingly the reason there's been so few title defenses. I kinda applaud them being a bit cautious with the next step. Early in that 'Powerbomb Symphony' run I felt like this was gonna be hard to maintain. I'm not sure what the answer is that doesn't kill Wardy's steam, but I'm still curious. In some respects, maybe that's the best you're going to do while you wait and see if he's company leader material. I do sometimes think he ought to lose to somebody and see if he can still maintain his appeal - as some sort of test (ha, maybe in theory some of Vince's ideas weren't so shitty?). 

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but an exhibition style argument would suggest a product that looks like ROH in it's Supercard days or a show like WCW Saturday Night. Or New Japan. To me AEW Dynamite and Rampage are nothing like any of those examples. Further, I appreciate on top of all the angles/feuds going on that we get straight up competitive battles each week like - Rush vs John Silver or what I expect to be a fucking awesome Darby Allin v Jay Lethal bout on Wednesday. Sometimes seeing what they announce last hour on twitter is the most exciting 'News' of the week. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, SprintingFromAmerica said:

Yeah I actually remembered after posting, but fuck Sammy.

To be honest if I really hate anything about Sammy, it's that fucking springboard cutter.

22 minutes ago, Ace said:

I hate any springboard or flippydoo cutter. That includes Lethal and Ospreay.

20 minutes ago, Technico Support said:
  • Sammy's double springboard bullshit cutter
  • Cody Cutter
  • Ozcutter
  • Lethal Injection

All these garbage-ass cutters that require the opponent to stand, stunned, as time stands still, waiting forever for the guy on offense to do some elaborate parkour, can fuck right off.  Any cutter that takes more than 1.5 seconds and is more convoluted than "I grab your head and fall" is unnecessary. 

I hate it too. Poor fucker has to sway like a Mortal Kombat fighter waiting for a Fatality to be hit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I hate it too. Poor fucker has to sway like a Mortal Kombat fighter waiting for a Fatality to be hit.

How bout Athena's bloody murdering diving cutter? I think I kinda sorta agree on the springing cutter hate, but I still like them all better than Dante Martin's nose dive as a finisher. I mean unless the point of it is to injure the catching arm of his opponent? 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

How bout Athena's bloody murdering diving cutter? I think I kinda sorta agree on the springing cutter hate, but I still like them all better than Dante Martin's nose dive as a finisher. I mean unless the point of it is to injure the catching arm of his opponent? 

Athena’s blockbuster is the shit. 

Yeah all these springboard cutters are hot garbage though