DVDVR Message Board

AEW - OCTOBER 2022

The Natural

4 minutes ago, Blue Dragon said:

Battle of the Belts 4 is on October 7, 2022. 

Pac (c) vs. Trent Beretta for the AEW All-Atlantic Championship

God forbid they have a huge TNT title match on the live TNT quarterly special.

The Battle of the Belts specials have been a complete and utter failure, and they are treated like second-rate TV.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 1

Few upcoming Rampage shows are being booked without Dynamite.

For bad news again, Meltzer and more people went into more about the ticket sales decline for AEW.  So the slowing down of buying tickets, less sell outs, smaller crowds and renting even smaller buildings.

https://wrestletalk.com/news/aew-brutal-live-show-ticket-sales/

https://411mania.com/wrestling/updated-ticket-sale-numbers-for-upcoming-aew-events-including-full-gear/

WrestleTix has the info for tickets solds so far for the next few months.

• Sad 2

On 10/1/2022 at 5:58 AM, AxB said:

Everyone expects 10 to lose the match and the mask, turn heel and lead to the dissolution of The Dark Order. But what if Andrade loses and leaves AEW forever?

Reveal hidden contents

Then returns under a mask a few weeks later?

He won't be a HANDSOME MEXICAN, though.

30 minutes ago, Blue Dragon said:

Few upcoming Rampage shows are being booked without Dynamite.

For bad news again, Meltzer and more people went into more about the ticket sales decline for AEW.  So the slowing down of buying tickets, less sell outs, smaller crowds and renting even smaller buildings.

https://wrestletalk.com/news/aew-brutal-live-show-ticket-sales/

https://411mania.com/wrestling/updated-ticket-sale-numbers-for-upcoming-aew-events-including-full-gear/

WrestleTix has the info for tickets solds so far for the next few months.

So is it Punk's absence alone that caused the drop in sales, or is it Kenny/Bucks? Little bit of both?

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

So is it Punk's absence alone that caused the drop in sales, or is it Kenny/Bucks? Little bit of both?

42 minutes ago, southofheavy said:

I think it's the fact that 2022 has sucked for AEW on a lot of levels, and outside of injuries, a lot of it could've been avoided. 

The Punk/Elite issue did a lot of damage, and the booking hasn't helped matters at all. 

All those. 2022 is the worst booked year in AEW's short history but the match quality is the best it's been. Contradiction, I know.

I'd also add that with the roster rotation, you might not get to see your favourites so why take a chance getting a ticket? Take Miro who hasn't wrestled in three months.

Furthermore the current economic climate with the cost of living is another reason, I'd say.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

That and overexposure.  They're going back to the same places too often.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I do kinda regret not going to one of their SoCal shows, but the point about roster rotation is really what makes it hard for me to be more than a casual viewer at this point. I totally respect trying to give guys a lighter schedule in such a physically demanding line of work, but a lot of these guys seem to be wrestling like once or twice a month at this point. It’s why I’m actually preferring WWE’s product right now for the first time since AEW has existed, since their TV feels more episodic and I know even if I don’t like a certain segment, I’m still gonna get to see the wrestlers I do like if I keep watching. And the programs will carry on instead of being suspended for a few weeks. Also WWE is way less squash matches at this point, AEW’s booking is way too predictable for me, and I’m tired of the big AEW star vs. some outsider I’ve never seen before as the top featured matches. I mean Jericho/Bandito was awesome and for once I actually bit on the near falls but that’s why I remember it so well, thinking the outsider could actually win felt like a first.

Edited by A.M.B.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Furthermore the current economic climate with the cost of living is another reason, I'd say.

On this tip, I think I've seen Meltzer pointing out that if one company's doing better business in this environment and one is doing worse, pointing to the economy isn't too helpful explanatorily. Or at least entertaining some thinking along those lines. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zendragon said:

The live entertainment market is especially saturated right now. EVERYONE is trying to tour after two years of nothing

That's the huge part of the story. I'd also be curious to see the differences in ticket prices year over year. 

• Like 2

No .. live entertainment market was saturated but still thriving due to how much $ everyone had in their pockets .. now it is in the painful process of falling off the cliff alongside the economy. RE: the comment of WWE ticket out-performance indicating no economic woes .. AEW crowd looks socially quite different to the WWE core of families/children .. would be interesting to see demographics/comparable disposable income.

Pretty astounded at how bad AEW are fucking this up. Really thought they were over the worst of it .. but with the talent and baked-in storylines at their finger tips you'd have been hard pressed to fuck the past 9 months up more than they have. A motley crew of crap, ineffectual stables, complete absence of character-progression and no big enveloping arc. Remarkable, really. More "TNT Open Challenges"? Its becoming an exhibition-bout promotion ??

Edited by A_K
  • Like 1

The negative comments concerning booking and management of this promotion are fair enough, but they're easily met with the question: what would you do... wait... with the endless unforeseen (see negative) circumstances that have come up over the past 3 years? Ppl think of an idea in their head of what would be cool or work better, but then pay little to no time with the reality of injuries, mental health, politics, and the endless undiscussed or lesser known variables that play into this endless schedule. It seems like a minor miracle, or just insane hard work from a clearly competent group, that AEW even exists after the pandemic. They just lost 4 of their top stars and yet continue to book/produce some pretty consistently outstanding television week to week. As they have all year and for 3 years now. Not to say there hasn't been some poor creative choices (or that they don't happen every week), but what wrestling TV show has ever batted this kind of average? What wrestling promotion has provided as much weekly TV fun in the last 20 plus years? 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

God forbid they have a huge TNT title match on the live TNT quarterly special.

The Battle of the Belts specials have been a complete and utter failure, and they are treated like second-rate TV.

They're actually going to air Rampage at 9 and Battle of the Belts at 10 in the normal Rampage spot.

Bold (and smart) play!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

The negative comments concerning booking and management of this promotion are fair enough, but they're easily met with the question: what would you do... wait... with the endless unforeseen (see negative) circumstances that have come up over the past 3 years? Ppl think of an idea in their head of what would be cool or work better, but then pay little to no time with the reality of injuries, mental health, politics, and endless undiscussed or lesser known variables that have played into this run. It seems like a minor miracle, or just insane hard work from a clearly competent group, that AEW even exists after the pandemic. They just lost 4 of their top stars and yet continue to book/produce pretty well around it. As they have all year. Not to say there hasn't been some poor creative choices (or that they don't happen every week), but what wrestling TV show has ever batted this kind of average? What wrestling TV show was better in the last 20 plus years? 

This conflates two issues. There should be little doubt, I think, that Khan works like a trojan. Sure, he's not a self-made man or anything even remotely approaching it, but he's clearly immensely driven and is involved in a lot of projects apart from AEW (even if not full-time-devoted). They grinded like trojans to make the best of the pandemic era, and it was impressive how quick they were to escalate live performances to stadia like Arthur Ashe and The United Center coming immediately out of it. That deserves respect.

Creatively they've been in an utter malaise. There are clearly a few very easy objective answers to the "what would you do" question that don't require any imparting of taste at all. What you don't do is bloat the roster up to multiples-of-a-size of historically-great promotions with equivalently far more TV time. That has presented the biggest issue of them all for them, and you can bet fairly accurately that it has also been at the root of various conflicts off-screen (of varying degrees) where entertainers feel they are not being promoted enough and/or given what they were promised. What you don't do is have 8 separate AEW titles with a combination of 11 holders (+ interim) in addition to a host of ROH titles and other promotions brought onto the TV. It gets to the point where you're more remarkable without a title than with one, and no titles have worth.

Then you start to go into the minutiae .. and MJF/Acclaimed aside (who were already world-class talents in 20/21 .. it just took some a little longer to catch on than others), I'd challenge a viewer to highlight any talent of theirs who have really elevated themselves over the past 12 months. Far more have fallen flat (Darby; Perry; Page) than excelled .. and given the prior 12 months those guys had, they had to work really, really hard creatively to fuck the shine up to the extent that they have on so many.

Its been easily retrievable at so many points, but the more they drift into this Exhibition Style promotion (Jericho/ROH Open Bouts, Wardlow Open Bouts .. ?) the more they're going to cut the live audiences adrift, and the more it'll start to reflect in the at-home numbers.

Edited by A_K
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, porksweats said:

They're actually going to air Rampage at 9 and Battle of the Belts at 10 in the normal Rampage spot.

Bold (and smart) play!

Not at the moment. They are airing them both back to back with Rampage at 10 pm EST normal time and Battle of the Belts at 11. Both will be live.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, TheVileOne said:

Not at the moment. They are airing them both back to back with Rampage at 10 pm EST normal time and Battle of the Belts at 11. Both will be live.

I swore I saw a post stating it was being shifted.

5 minutes ago, porksweats said:

I swore I saw a post stating it was being shifted.

I saw it too, but if there was a change, AEW/TNT opted to switch it to this very quickly. I think running opposite an hour of SmackDown right now is just a bad idea in general.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I saw it too, but if there was a change, AEW/TNT opted to switch it to this very quickly. I think running opposite an hour of SmackDown right now is just a bad idea in general.

Best bet here would be taping Rampage during 9-10, doing BOTB in Rampage's spot live. Doing BOTB AFTER Rampage, both live is going to have that crowd dead by midnight unfortunately.

As someone who attended the last BOTB, it'd be worth taking the hit on 9-10 competition live for Rampage because no matter what you'd have them tuning in for BOTB at 10.

• Sad 1