DVDVR Message Board

October 2022 Wrestling Discussion

50 minutes ago, Pedro said:

I'm in the same boat as you. Punk had the great matches with Joe, Daniels,  Chris Hero, Eddy, Rey, and some great stuff with Colt all before he was signed to WWE.  His stuff with Cena is great also.  I saw a couple really good Punk-Sabin matches from 2004 that are worth watching as well.  People can hate the guy as a person but he has had some really good matches.  

The only feud where I felt his matches didn't deliver was the big Raven feud in ROH. The promo's made the feud (and perhaps Punk as well) but the matches didn't do it for me.

The 90 min match with Hero is epic, the 55 min TLC with Hero was just as fun.  It's a struggle to think of anything 4-5 star that Miz has done. 

....wait, these guys managed to be in the same promotion long enough to be booked against each other? I don't remember them wrestling in ROH, was this like a TNA Xplosion taping or something? Is it on a DVD or Youtube, or did you see it live? That's definitely one of those matches I could have sworn never happened when I was rewatching Punk vs Shelley from ROH the other night. 

Even though it was probably the right move this talk of Miz vs. Punk makes me sad all over again we never got Miz vs. Bryan in 2016. That Talking Smack segment was so damn tremendous. Their feud could have been amazing with Miz so clearly motivated.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

....wait, these guys managed to be in the same promotion long enough to be booked against each other? I don't remember them wrestling in ROH, was this like a TNA Xplosion taping or something? Is it on a DVD or Youtube, or did you see it live? That's definitely one of those matches I could have sworn never happened when I was rewatching Punk vs Shelley from ROH the other night. 

https://youtu.be/T1zqp0Iy4O8

• Like 1

Punk v Miz, to me, is a classic "talent v effort" debate.

Miz came in as a fan. He got a break through Reality TV. He was basically Logan Paul but without the fan base. He put up with hazing, bullying and outright abuse but stood straight back up and got on with things. He's now at the point where he's almost universally respected for all the work he puts in behind the scenes.

Punk has all the tools, but he knows he has all the tools. If he could humble himself for a day and take on some of the advice that others give him (instead of rushing to tell everyone else how to do this) he could have been an all timer. I don't know what his legacy looks like after AEW though. "Fool me once..." and so on.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

I'd still rather watch CM Punk even with the sloppiness. Then there's the argument of knowing your limitations. Do you play safe or go for broke?

Match quality is definitely CM Punk: The 2004 ROH Trilogy with Samoa Joe, vs. John Cena at Money in the Bank 2011 and the two MJF bouts in AEW. Have all six at *****.

Ah, but are the better matches always put on by the better wrestler? Remember wrestling is primarily live entertainment, and wasn't really meant to be scrutinized on tapes and smothered by star ratings.

8 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

They wrestled in IWC in a tournament (Super Indy 3) Semi Finals,  and then again I believe the following month at Caged Fury.  If I'm not mistaken our very own @Gorman called the matches.    I also believe they worked Cleveland All Pro against each other as I remember seeing them 1 on 1 in Ohio too.   

If you do seek out their Super Indy 3 match I highly, highly encourage you the watch the whole show.  Sonjay-Punk is also fun as is the AJ-Daniels match and Southern Comfort vs MDogg 20 and Josh Prohibition.  It's probably the best live show I've ever attended. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Eivion said:

Even though it was probably the right move this talk of Miz vs. Punk makes me sad all over again we never got Miz vs. Bryan in 2016. That Talking Smack segment was so damn tremendous. Their feud could have been amazing with Miz so clearly motivated.

2016 was peak Miz too. He was regularly having good to great TV matches on Smackdown with guys like Ziggler and Ambrose.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Pedro said:

If you do seek out their Super Indy 3 match I highly, highly encourage you the watch the whole show.  Sonjay-Punk is also fun as is the AJ-Daniels match and Southern Comfort vs MDogg 20 and Josh Prohibition.  It's probably the best live show I've ever attended. 

We hear that a lot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I don't want any deeds done. I just don't want to pretend if he's not even gonna try. He's back, whatever, stop pretending everyone else is stupid. 

the ones who think I'm someone else are the ones who are stupid. But yeah this is a wrestling forum, for wrestling fans. So now, people in Cleveland can't go to huge shows in Pittsburgh?!  Let me tell you a small fact.  Larry Sweeney became involved in pro wrestling because of IWC Super Indy. He was in the crowd and it made him want to be a wrestler.  Most Cleveland and Pittsburgh indy fans know of AIW and IWC.  I made the drive to IWC often back then as I'm sure many others did. Look at the card for Super Indy 3 and tell me you wouldn't consider it one of the best? Sabin-Shelley,  AJ-Daniels,  Punk-Dutt, Punk-Sabin., Balls-New Jack.  But keep wasting your time John, I find it funny. 

I know you hate me but I'm gonna do you a solid and give you advice.

Stop being so petty about this. You were paintedbynumbers. Now you're Pedro. It's not a secret. The mods haven't banned you again, not because they don't know, but because they don't care. If you stop fighting posters about it and let it go everything is gonna be fine. They would have banned you by now if they planned on doing it. Don't give them a reason to. Go back to posting thoughts and opinions like the rest of us and quit fighting the tide. Let it wash over you.

AKA don't be a weirdo this time and there won't be a reason to be banned.

• Like 7

great moments in localized booking:

WWF @ Tallahassee, FL - May 12, 1999 (8,203)
Mankind & Ken Shamrock defeated the Acolytes; the Acolytes played the faces for the match due to Farooq being a Florida State alum; to help in that effort, Mankind & Shamrock wore University of Florida jerseys to the ring

1) even more heelish to use Gator jerseys when you consider that Ken Shamrock grew up in Georgia before moving to California. You're not getting heat if you put Ken in Yellow Jackets gear in any year except 1990.

2) Ken Shamrock and Ron Simmons were born in the same county (Ron in Perry, Ken in Warner Robins)

2b) I don't think they could have reworded "Don't Step To Ron" to be about Ken Shamrock, even if Ken is "straight from Georgia, Warner Robins, Georgia". Partly because Ken Shamrock wasn't an "ex-football all-american on defense"

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pedro said:

a grown man crying to a mod over a theory? Really?  Craig, you must be a blast at party's. 

A theory is a model of how something works, not just any general conjecture.

*parties

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

1) even more heelish to use Gator jerseys when you consider that Ken Shamrock grew up in Georgia before moving to California. You're not getting heat if you put Ken in Yellow Jackets gear in any year except 1990.

2) Ken Shamrock and Ron Simmons were born in the same county (Ron in Perry, Ken in Warner Robins)

2b) I don't think they could have reworded "Don't Step To Ron" to be about Ken Shamrock, even if Ken is "straight from Georgia, Warner Robins, Georgia". Partly because Ken Shamrock wasn't an "ex-football all-american on defense"

Seeing as Mick actually lived in Atlanta for quite awhile (or at least the suburbs of Atlanta IIRC), it would make more sense for him to have on Yellow Jacket gear. That said, Ken strikes me as a guy that doesn't give a damn about any type of allegiance. At least enough to play it up for cheap heat.

6 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

according to his book Ken would have been a pro running back if not for a broken neck in hs