DVDVR Message Board

October 2022 Wrestling Discussion

I can almost picture the commercial for the new docuseries Bark Side of the Ring with Larry giving us his Side of the story 

Plus an explosive exclusive interview with Cody's dog about those fireworks that one time

Ugh, and a heartfelt memorial for the British Bulldogs bulldog, and Al Snows dog that Bossman cooked up

All, on the next season from the producers of Tales from the Territories

8 hours ago, sabremike said:

Not going to name names but the person who did that is someone everyone on this board would know.

EDIT: *redacted*

5 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

US Express vs Nikolai Volkoff & The Iron Sheik

Ricky Steamboat vs Greg Valentine

Junkyard Dog vs Don Muraco

Tito Santana vs Brutus Beefcake

Big John Studd vs Tony Atlas

Jimmy Snuka vs Terry Funk

Wendi Richter w/ Cindi Lauper vs Fabulous Moolah

20 Man Battle Royale

Hulk Hogan w/ Mr T vs Roddy Piper

Swap partners on matches 2-3 (Ricky vs Muraco, JYD vs Valentine). Merge 4-5 into a tag match (Tito/Atlas vs Studd/Brutus). Also Funk wasn't in the WWF yet.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

EDIT: *redacted*

Swap partners on matches 2-3 (Ricky vs Muraco, JYD vs Valentine). Merge 4-5 into a tag match (Tito/Atlas vs Studd/Brutus). Also Funk wasn't in the WWF yet.

They would need Andre on the card...maybe have him win the battle royale?

The Bundy squash was necessary to build up a new monster.

You gotta do Tito vs Valentine. Tito was going to unseat Greg anyway...why not do it at Mania?

Maybe have JYD do the Studd Bodyslam Challenge if you don't want to do Andre in the spot?

9 minutes ago, Infinit said:

You gotta do Tito vs Valentine. Tito was going to unseat Greg anyway...why not do it at Mania?

Maybe have JYD do the Studd Bodyslam Challenge if you don't want to do Andre in the spot?

Oh yeah... I was just reacting to what was in front of me. The battle royale is/was tailor-made for an Andre win unless you want to elevate someone else instead (Studd? Bundy? JYD?), which wouldn't be the first time that happened with Andre involved.

This is one of the better battle royales I've seen... used to be on Youtube and may still be floating around. I forget if Peacock has the old Coliseum videos for streaming.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Infinit said:

If we're using the available roster, Dynamite/Davey and Bret/Anvil were already doing tv tapings....

Edited by Hamhock
  • Like 1

I mentioned in a different post that I'm on another Discord that talks wrestling. Long story short, a discussion there today got me to legitimately wonder who is the better in-ring wrestler, the Miz or CM Punk? Miz knows exactly what his job is in the ring: get the crowd invested in seeing you beaten up, and don't do anything to take them out of the moment. Punk's stories may be more complex, but he's reverted to trying to do shit he's not capable of, like top rope ranas and the Buckshot Lariat, and when he botches them, it takes you out of the moment and kills the emotion.

Judging just by working within WWE parameters, I don't think it's controversial to say Miz wins. Punk has the advantage of doing well in different styles, though, which is a point in his favor. We'll probably never see Miz in AEW, but if it did happen, I imagine he'd be an amazing, Steve Corino-like, anti-house-style heel that would make the crowds want to tear his throat out.

So I lean toward Miz overall. Thoughts?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Log said:

So many of those early Wrestlemania's had mostly non-storyline-based matches on their cards. The first few Summerslams, too.

Well, they were still booking for major House Shows and the Garden in those days, so PPV's just either got build up matches or one off's that wouldn't affect the Loop.  If you wanted to see something actually blow off, buying a ticket was the way to go, outside of occasinally it happening on SNME.  PPV's didn't start blowing off feuds until around WM3, and even then JCP/WCW was still running blowoffs and major events on House Shows until 94.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Dog said:

I mentioned in a different post that I'm on another Discord that talks wrestling. Long story short, a discussion there today got me to legitimately wonder who is the better in-ring wrestler, the Miz or CM Punk? Miz knows exactly what his job is in the ring: get the crowd invested in seeing you beaten up, and don't do anything to take them out of the moment. Punk's stories may be more complex, but he's reverted to trying to do shit he's not capable of, like top rope ranas and the Buckshot Lariat, and when he botches them, it takes you out of the moment and kills the emotion.

Judging just by working within WWE parameters, I don't think it's controversial to say Miz wins. Punk has the advantage of doing well in different styles, though, which is a point in his favor. We'll probably never see Miz in AEW, but if it did happen, I imagine he'd be an amazing, Steve Corino-like, anti-house-style heel that would make the crowds want to tear his throat out.

I'd much rather watch the Miz work, but I'm a Punk hater who thinks he's a genuinely terrible pro wrestler. I used to turn the TV when he'd have a segment during his interminably long title run and I'm pretty sure I only watched the Bryan stuff with AJ in the middle of it during that whole thing with any consistency.

I am resolutely against wrestlers trying athletic shit they can't do, and while I've not seen Punk in AEW, Punk in RoH and WWE was already a mediocre athlete whose reach consistently exceeded his grasp in that regard. 

Anyway, the Miz is a perfect midcard heel, basically HTM+. He's not a main eventer, but even then, I found his WWE Championship run adequate, if not particularly memorable. I much prefer Miz. Better to work one style really well than a bunch of styles like complete ass. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dog said:

I dislike Punk and have never been super fond of his work, but I also base that mostly on what he did in WWE. Saying that I think he had far more good-great matches there than Miz has despite being for a shorter period although I have to admit I also usually thought Punk's opponents were better than him in those matches. Miz does what is necessary and is effective at the role he is given. He really isn't called upon for great wrestling though its not impossible if you recall stuff like the Miz/Ziggler feud which are probably among Miz's best matches in WWE. I think Miz is probably the smarter worker, but Punk is far more capable even with his issues. I prefer to watch Miz, but Punk is probably better in the end.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hayabusa said:

I can almost picture the commercial for the new docuseries Bark Side of the Ring with Larry giving us his Side of the story 

Plus an explosive exclusive interview with Cody's dog about those fireworks that one time

Ugh, and a heartfelt memorial for the British Bulldogs bulldog, and Al Snows dog that Bossman cooked up

All, on the next season from the producers of Tales from the Territories

Chris Jericho: “you know, after the press conference I saw Larry in the hallway and I asked how he was, he said “ruff” and I immediately knew something had went down”

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 15

2 hours ago, Dog said:

I prefer Punk's stuff, as I don't think other than Bret, has a worker been able to consistently find meaning to be attached to their work, especially in the context of WWE monthly PPVs that you expect that throwaway random program from everyone. For the most part, he's been able to make me want to put eyes on the product he's selling, no matter how good the actual quality is. 

That's not to say I'm not sleeping on what Miz has been able to achieve in that same format either. We do not give enough credit to a guy who has been able to remain over for 16 years without really needing to be constantly beating guys, or avoiding getting their comeuppance for people to care. He constantly shows ass for pretty much anyone, the guy he's feuding with always gets one over on him, and its rarely even "eventually". He's rarely presented as a threat at any level, yet people still engage with him far more than any of his contemporaries who are given far more reasons to be told to care about them more (Ziggler, Orton, even HHH all come to mind). I'll occasionally seek out his in-ring stuff (Bryan programs, vs Ziggler 2016 are the main ones there), but I'm not too disappointed if I have to sit through anything else he does either.

• Like 2

I found a torrent someone uploaded of thousands of wrestling magazines from the past 40 years that I've been going through the past few days.

There's a multi-month magazine storyline from late 95-early 96 in the WWF mag where they outright accuse Sunny of cheating on Skip with Shawn Michaels without any storyline relevance whatsoever.

So many questions about who knew what, and even whose idea this was to publish. 

• Like 2

If I were Shawn and this were happening, I could totally see either the train of thought of "Put it in the magazine, so if he does accuse me, I can call him a mark and confusing an angle for reality" or "I really don't like this guy, so not only am I going to fuck his girlfriend, but I'm going to put it in a globally published magazine just so everyone knows" being equally applicable here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dog said:

I can't think of any Miz match that I'd rather see over any Punk match. Miz does nothing for me in-ring as he seems like a generic WWE Create-A-Wrestler in that regard.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Thanks for the context around why. None of us would have known better at 8. 

I don't know if I'm more shocked by your response or the fact that you were the sperm that survived. Go troll someone else. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

I can't think of any Miz match that I'd rather see over any Punk match. Miz does nothing for me in-ring as he seems like a generic WWE Create-A-Wrestler in that regard.

I'm in the same boat as you. Punk had the great matches with Joe, Daniels,  Chris Hero, Eddy, Rey, and some great stuff with Colt all before he was signed to WWE.  His stuff with Cena is great also.  I saw a couple really good Punk-Sabin matches from 2004 that are worth watching as well.  People can hate the guy as a person but he has had some really good matches.  

The only feud where I felt his matches didn't deliver was the big Raven feud in ROH. The promo's made the feud (and perhaps Punk as well) but the matches didn't do it for me.

The 90 min match with Hero is epic, the 55 min TLC with Hero was just as fun.  It's a struggle to think of anything 4-5 star that Miz has done. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dog said:

I'd still rather watch CM Punk even with the sloppiness. Then there's the argument of knowing your limitations. Do you play safe or go for broke?

Match quality is definitely CM Punk: The 2004 ROH Trilogy with Samoa Joe, vs. John Cena at Money in the Bank 2011 and the two MJF bouts in AEW. Have all six at *****.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Pedro said:

I'm in the same boat as you. Punk had the great matches with Joe, Daniels,  Chris Hero, Eddy, Rey, and some great stuff with Colt all before he was signed to WWE.  His stuff with Cena is great also.  I saw a couple really good Punk-Sabin matches from 2004 that are worth watching as well.  People can hate the guy as a person but he has had some really good matches.  

The only feud where I felt his matches didn't deliver was the big Raven feud in ROH. The promo's made the feud (and perhaps Punk as well) but the matches didn't do it for me.

It's a struggle to think of anything 4-5 star that Miz has done. 

For the bold:

The Miz vs. Daniel Bryan. Night of Champions 2010.

The Miz vs. Jerry Lawler. Elimination Chamber 2011. An audible should have been called there.

The Miz vs. Cesaro vs. Sami Zayn vs. Kevin Owens. Extreme Rules 2016.

The Miz vs. Dolph Ziggler. No Mercy 2016.

The Miz vs. Seth Rollins vs. Finn Balor. WrestleMania XXXIV.

The Miz vs. Seth Rollins. Backlash 2018.

The Miz vs. Daniel Bryan. SummerSlam 2018. Miz's best match.

Edited by The Natural