DVDVR Message Board

October 2022 Wrestling Discussion

7 minutes ago, Octopus said:

Does this mean Hogan is Pontius Pilate or Judas?

4 minutes ago, Octopus said:

72840518-AA22-4-D4-B-A8-C1-D961-CEB6-C74

I am so surprised in the good old nose candy days of the 80s that Vince never did the Birth of Jesus/resurrection story during Prime Time Wrestling or Saturday Night's Main Event. That's made for Hulk to no sell the crucifixion.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I am so surprised in the good old nose candy days of the 80s that Vince never did the Birth of Jesus/resurrection story during Prime Time Wrestling or Saturday Night's Main Event. That's made for Hulk to no sell the crucifixion.

Hogan would “that doesn’t work for me, brother” selling for the stigmatic nails piercing his palms, even with the promise of avenging his death three days later at Easter Annihilation.

• Haha 4

Nothing is more surreal than Brutus Beefcake's return on Raw in early 1993 where he talks about getting his face destroyed where the doctors didn't think he would make it (along with his parents dying and his divorce) and the first thing he saw when he woke up was Hulk's face. The fans at the Manhattan Center heckled him throughout, and I am leaning 50/50 on whether it was justified.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Infinit said:

Valentine should've faced Tito at Mania One.  6 1/2 year old Infinit thought that in 85 and I'll die on that hill today.

The match would have been better, but unless the finish was the same (a face count-out victory), the odds are Tito's Wrestlemania record would then have been 1-8, instead of 2-7.

This got me thinking, what would have been "a Wrestlemania-worthy" card for Wrestlemania I? What would have been the biggest and best card that the roster could have allowed at the time?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Nothing is more surreal than Brutus Beefcake's return on Raw in early 1993 where he talks about getting his face destroyed where the doctors didn't think he would make it (along with his parents dying and his divorce) and the first thing he saw when he woke up was Hulk's face. The fans at the Manhattan Center heckled him throughout, and I am leaning 50/50 on whether it was justified.

Yeah, that really audible guy yelling out "KILL YOURSELF" during it probably tips the scales there

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Yeah, that really audible guy yelling out "KILL YOURSELF" during it probably tips the scales there

Not going to name names but the person who did that is someone everyone on this board would know.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shartnado said:

The match would have been better, but unless the finish was the same (a face count-out victory), the odds are Tito's Wrestlemania record would then have been 1-8, instead of 2-7.

This got me thinking, what would have been "a Wrestlemania-worthy" card for Wrestlemania I? What would have been the biggest and best card that the roster could have allowed at the time?

US Express vs Nikolai Volkoff & The Iron Sheik

Ricky Steamboat vs Greg Valentine

Junkyard Dog vs Don Muraco

Tito Santana vs Brutus Beefcake

Big John Studd vs Tony Atlas

Jimmy Snuka vs Terry Funk

Wendi Richter w/ Cindi Lauper vs Fabulous Moolah

20 Man Battle Royale

Hulk Hogan w/ Mr T vs Roddy Piper

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I think part of it probably is that JYD probably understood he wouldn't be booked the same way in New York. Being the clear cut #1 babyface is much different than being the at best #3 or #4 babyface.

I just happened to watch the SNME from January 1986 where he essentially plays helper babyface to BOTH Hogan and Steamboat. He watches out for Jimmy Hart when Hogan goes against Terry Funk. Then at the end of the show, he's tagging with Steamboat vs. Muraco and Fuji. That's his slot and he's over at where he's slotted at. Nothing more than that.

TBH I think Duggan was the same way. He kinda starts off as Mid South Duggan when he first gets there to feud with Iron Sheik and Nikolai. Then the effort falls precipitously as his run goes through a few WWF eras.

Funny because in 1990 JYD seemingly played the exact same role in WCW when he helped keep Arn/Barry away from Sting during the Sting-Flair summer feud

• Like 1

I can almost picture the commercial for the new docuseries Bark Side of the Ring with Larry giving us his Side of the story 

Plus an explosive exclusive interview with Cody's dog about those fireworks that one time

Ugh, and a heartfelt memorial for the British Bulldogs bulldog, and Al Snows dog that Bossman cooked up

All, on the next season from the producers of Tales from the Territories

8 hours ago, sabremike said:

Not going to name names but the person who did that is someone everyone on this board would know.

EDIT: *redacted*

5 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

US Express vs Nikolai Volkoff & The Iron Sheik

Ricky Steamboat vs Greg Valentine

Junkyard Dog vs Don Muraco

Tito Santana vs Brutus Beefcake

Big John Studd vs Tony Atlas

Jimmy Snuka vs Terry Funk

Wendi Richter w/ Cindi Lauper vs Fabulous Moolah

20 Man Battle Royale

Hulk Hogan w/ Mr T vs Roddy Piper

Swap partners on matches 2-3 (Ricky vs Muraco, JYD vs Valentine). Merge 4-5 into a tag match (Tito/Atlas vs Studd/Brutus). Also Funk wasn't in the WWF yet.