DVDVR Message Board

October 2022 Wrestling Discussion

On 10/19/2022 at 4:47 AM, zendragon said:

To be fair Mark Henry did put it all together but the first ten years where ROUGH! and Sid was a guy who certainly had a presence (and you can't teach that! Daddy!) that lead to some cool moments, Eliminating Hogan from 92 RR, The MSG entrance with the fist bumps, His appearance in ECW but he lacked enough in other qualities to make those moments lead to anything special long term

Wrestle War 91 is rarely mentioned. He got over Sting,Pillman, and the Steiners in a time where heels rarely won main events on ppv. But WCW didn't pay him what he wanted and they never capitalized on the moment. They found their new toy El Gigante and Sid left for WWF. 

• Like 1

searching through HistoryOfWWE for their Skydome shows in the 90s (thanks to the long Cornette podcast segment on large Canadian crowds) and apparently the Hamilton Tiger Cats are the official CFL team of the Nation of Domination

WWF @ Toronto, Ontario - Skydome - June 14, 1997 (14,615)
Ahmed Johnson (w/ the Toronto Argonauts) pinned Farooq (w/ the Hamilton Tiger Cats) with the Pearl River Plunge at 3:40

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

searching through HistoryOfWWE for their Skydome shows in the 90s (thanks to the long Cornette podcast segment on large Canadian crowds) and apparently the Hamilton Tiger Cats are the official CFL team of the Nation of Domination

One could naturally assume that the Calgary Stampeders are the official CFL team of the Hart Foundation.

The only other football team I could see deciding to heel it up as wrestling seconds would be if there was a show in the Bay Area where the babyface was seconded by the 49ers and the heel was seconded by the Raiders.

One extra Canada/Toronto show note, they were back at the Maple Leaf Gardens 10 days after the Big Event (which drew 60k+) with the main event of Orndorff and Adonis vs Hogan and Piper.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, porksweats said:

One could naturally assume that the Calgary Stampeders are the official CFL team of the Hart Foundation.

EXCEPT, for a brief period Stampede Wrestling promoted shows in British Columbia with Brian Adams' (the singer, not Crush) manager and he arranged to have some of the BC Lions as seconds for the faces, IIRC (or maybe special enforcers). Also Stu Hart played for the Edmonton Eskimos.

The Edmonton Eskimos/Elks could be the team of the Bloodline, since Roman Reigns played for them.

Lex Luger played for the Montreal Alouettes, The Rock and Brian Pillman for the Calgary Stampeders

https://3downnation.com/2018/04/08/looking-history-cfl-wrestling-crossover/

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

I realized this last night watching Good Friends Better Enemies and posted it on the WWE Network thread, but what was the best Kevin Nash match where he was on the winning side?

Does it need to be a singles match? If not, then Diesel & HBK vs Razor & 1-2-3 Kid from '94 could be a contender! Or the KotR'94 match with Bret, if it has to be singles.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, zendragon said:

The same tape Slamfest tape with Clique explodes has Diesel v Luger and is shockingly good. One of Big Daddy Cools better singles matches, so those would be my choices for singles and tag

Was that Diesel vs Lex match from Raw? I remember it being really good too.

3 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Does it need to be a singles match? If not, then Diesel & HBK vs Razor & 1-2-3 Kid from '94 could be a contender! Or the KotR'94 match with Bret, if it has to be singles.

I would say that tag as well, but Diesel spent the backhalf of that match outside incapacitated. It played into the finish, but that is the asterisk to the match.

I'd have Diesel vs Mabel lumberjack match for nostalgic reasons 

Diesel gets tossed towards the bad guys side, makes his.way back in, and at one point goes FUCK THIS and dives over the top.rope into the bad guys and is a one man army just cleaning house all solo

Fuck if I remember what show or year this was but that shit was big time for my young mark ass brain

Nash vs The Giant where Nash powerbombs Giant and almost breaks his neck is another nostalgic pick just for him lifting someone bigger and heavier and dropping him VICIOUSLY on Giants neck 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Hayabusa said:

I'd have Diesel vs Mabel lumberjack match for nostalgic reasons 

Diesel gets tossed towards the bad guys side, makes his.way back in, and at one point goes FUCK THIS and dives over the top.rope into the bad guys and is a one man army just cleaning house all solo

Fuck if I remember what show or year this was but that shit was big time for my young mark ass brain

Nash vs The Giant where Nash powerbombs Giant and almost breaks his neck is another nostalgic pick just for him lifting someone bigger and heavier and dropping him VICIOUSLY on Giants neck 

That's vs. Sid in the lumberjack, from In Your House 2 in 1995 and was also the first to come to mind for me as far as matches he won.

I'm also partial to the Nash/Foley Hard Justice 2009 brawl being super fun. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Or the KotR'94 match with Bret, if it has to be singles

That’s probably my favorite match the two had together. 

4 hours ago, zendragon said:

The same tape Slamfest tape with Clique explodes has Diesel v Luger and is shockingly good. One of Big Daddy Cools better singles matches, so those would be my choices for singles and tag

I love that tape! And yes, that Luger match is very good. Of course, everyone talks about that tag match. And I agree, it is good but as someone mentioned earlier, Diesel spends half of the match on the floor so he’s pretty much a non-factor until the finish.

• Like 1

watching late 1991 WWF (MSG 11/30/91) and they ran with the "this heel might have a weird gimmick but he's a great wrestler" line for both Skinner and IRS, so I guess when they were saying that a year later for Doink, they beat the concept into the ground that it didn't really mean anything

and reading HistoryOfWWE from 1991

part 1 (file under "damnit, that match would have ruled"): Roddy Piper, Jake Roberts, Road Warrior Hawk, and WWF IC Champion Mr. Perfect were all no shows; Piper was in Los Angeles filming a movie while the other three were injured; a match between Bret Hart and Ricky Steamboat was scheduled but the card was changed due to the no shows

part 2 (file under "this could have been pretty cool"): "Randy Savage (sub. for WWF World Champion Hulk Hogan) defeated Sgt. Slaughter in a Desert Storm match when Gen. Adnan threw in the towel as Slaughter was in the Camel Clutch"

I mean, the Desert Storm Match from the Garden is one of the better Hogan matches ever, but the only Randy Savage/Sgt. Slaughter matches were in Louisville and Lexington, KY. Meanwhile the next July, there were Randy Savage/Sgt. Slaughter vs Ric Flair/Mountie tag matches in Asbury Park and Allentown.

part 3: Prior to the taping, the Big Bossman and Kerry Von Erich spoke to cub scouts and their parents about the dangers of drugs, being honest, and honoring your parents; Von Erich reportedly told the kids his brother David died after he was repeatedly kicked by a Japanese wrestler

No, Kerry wasn't talking to the cub scouts about the dangers of being honest and honoring your parents. 

Tonight was the night of the angry Samoans! In Wilmington at PCW Ultra!

As usual some line switheroos last minute

opening fourway had Lucas Riley, Danny Limelight, Lince Dorado, and Matt Vandagriff. Huge heat on Danny Limelight as the mostly mexican-american crowd cants "fuck New York" anytime he goes on offence. not a fan of fourways but was excited to see the first three. Lince wins with something off the top

Shane Haste loses to Puma King

Toa Liona wins via DQ over Bad Dude Tito after Shane Haste comes back hits Toa with a low blow. Toa doesn't appreciate being double teamed and says he has a "partner" GOA in PCW? I hope so! Toa really comes off as a star and seemed happy with being mobbed by fans on the way to his car

Viva Van (recently featured on AEW) won over Sumi Sakai match was a little clunky at times but nice story with Sumi going for the victory roll three times with Viva finally countering for the win! Viva looks really good considering she's had to make due during a pandemic.  I saw some of her very first matches pre everything going to hell

Main event was a fourman weapons filled cage match. Hammerstone v Schaff v Bodie Sinn v Our second angry samoan of the night Jacob Fatu. Sinn light off a bunch of firecrackers on Hammerstone but Hammerstone hulks up only for Samuel to close the door in his face! Allowing for Fatu to hit a TOP OF THE CAGE MOONSAULT ON TO HAMMERSTONE!! if only Afa and Sika had thought to try that against Hogan back in the day! that's how you stop a hulk up! Fatu escapes the cage! New Champ!

• Like 5

Guessing that there’s some sound legal reasons why a wrestling tag team hasn’t called themselves the Angry Samoans (although I did a TESS trademark search and didn’t find anything current)

First wave punk rock Samoans in 2022 would be quite a gimmick? (I don’t know if there were any Samoans in the Angry Samoans)

• Like 1