DVDVR Message Board

October 2022 Wrestling Discussion

Really scratching my head over WWE’s programming philosophy last night.  A lot was made about both companies loading up their cards to compete.  AEW loaded up their cards with big names and title matches; WWE saved their big matches from an NXT and put on an average show with a few WWE midcarders added in.  I’m not even sure why feeding Cora Jade and Roxanne Perez to a couple people from the main show is supposed to make me more interested in their Halloween Havoc match.

I am amused at the very random teaming of the Club and Cameron Grimes.  WAR booking at its very best.  I wonder if Grimes or the Club lost the bet.

From the way Meltzer and others hyped the head-to-head, I expected a couple big matches and a Bray Wyatt segment.

For the record. I’m not bashing either company and didn’t watch either show..  Just curious why WWE didn’t load the show more.  

Hey, speaking of Important Internet Wrestling Figures of the Late 90's...

With Cornette's recent revelation of booking notes from 1997 in which Vince Russo pitched bringing Yokozuna back to put him in the Hart Foundation, does that mean that Al Isaacs is finally vindicated after all these years?

SCOOPS FOREVER BABY!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I was thinking of resurrecting the What If thread to ask “What if MJF had signed to WWE in 2015?”, but I figured it would basically be asking “What if Enzo Amore had been trained and had a basic level of athleticism?”.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, AxB said:

I was thinking of resurrecting the What If thread to ask “What if MJF had signed to WWE in 2015?”, but I figured it would basically be asking “What if Enzo Amore had been trained and had a basic level of athleticism?”.

Matt Striker feels like a good comp IMO. 2015 was still a bit before the heyday of smaller guys being allowed to shine in NXT, so he likely gets turned into a manager and probably rage quits and winds up in AEW at launch anyway 

17 minutes ago, AxB said:

Well, that's unfair to Enzo, who didn't have to do Attitude Era retread to garner cheap heat. 

On 10/18/2022 at 10:31 AM, supremebve said:

I'll have to watch this when I get home. With that said,  when PWO did their greatest wrestler ever poll a few years back,  Jumbo was my #1. I'd watch Jumbo wrestle almost anybody. 

On 10/18/2022 at 10:25 AM, Curt McGirt said:

Here you go.

For whatever reason the one you posted completely skips the finish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2zRBqwPlXg for the full match, but lower VQ.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Well, that's unfair to Enzo, who didn't have to do Attitude Era retread to garner cheap heat. 

ENZO?!??!

Enzo, bought a front row ticket to a pay-per-view and stood up in his chair screaming his catchphrase until he was detained by security, Enzo?

Edited by nate
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, nate said:

ENZO?!??!

Enzo, bought a front row ticket to a pay-per-view and stood up in his chair screaming his catchphrase until he was detained by security, Enzo?

I mean, this was post-firing, right? 

I guess you could argue that his catchphrase routine was very Road Dogg-esque, but he actually could do character work as a heel without relying on tired-ass Attitude Era "shock value" tropes. 

Is MJF a better wrestler than Enzo? It'd be pretty hard not to be. Enzo is Giant Gonzalez/El Gigante status there. But MJF is pretty fucking awful otherwise, and yeah, he relies on shtick that was old and tired by 2001. 

Just now, For Great Justice said:

Now I want to hear 1998 Buh Buh Ray Dudley’s villain origin story 

"I was a man with a lot of fat aggression and then I met Paul E. and he told me I could say on TV all of the wildly racist, bigoted, and homophobic things I grew up saying as a kid."

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

There is an art to saying things for easy heat without coming off like someone who just wanted to say shit they read on 4chan to the public, and no, Bully Ray did not get anywhere near to mastering that art. 

2 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

But MJF is pretty fucking awful otherwise, and yeah, he relies on shtick that was old and tired by 2001. 

You haven’t watched Dynamite from last night yet, have you?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AxB said:

You haven’t watched Dynamite from last night yet, have you?

I have zero plans to.

He's young, so I hope he improves. He's got almost endless room to do so from the last time I saw him.

On 10/19/2022 at 4:47 AM, zendragon said:

To be fair Mark Henry did put it all together but the first ten years where ROUGH! and Sid was a guy who certainly had a presence (and you can't teach that! Daddy!) that lead to some cool moments, Eliminating Hogan from 92 RR, The MSG entrance with the fist bumps, His appearance in ECW but he lacked enough in other qualities to make those moments lead to anything special long term

Wrestle War 91 is rarely mentioned. He got over Sting,Pillman, and the Steiners in a time where heels rarely won main events on ppv. But WCW didn't pay him what he wanted and they never capitalized on the moment. They found their new toy El Gigante and Sid left for WWF. 

• Like 1

searching through HistoryOfWWE for their Skydome shows in the 90s (thanks to the long Cornette podcast segment on large Canadian crowds) and apparently the Hamilton Tiger Cats are the official CFL team of the Nation of Domination

WWF @ Toronto, Ontario - Skydome - June 14, 1997 (14,615)
Ahmed Johnson (w/ the Toronto Argonauts) pinned Farooq (w/ the Hamilton Tiger Cats) with the Pearl River Plunge at 3:40

• Like 1