DVDVR Message Board

October 2022 Wrestling Discussion

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Back on the topic of wrestling shirts in the wild - a few months ago, exactly what I feared would happen actually happened while I was wearing the Seth Rollins "Redesign Rebuild Reclaim" shirt. It's bad enough that the front has the little SR logo that looks like a crosshair, but the phrase on the back... yikes, if you live in a heavy red area like I do. Some older guy at a gas station asked me what it meant, and I could kind of tell that he wanted it to mean something very particular. His face when I told him it was an old wrestling shirt was great, though.

I hated when that was his thing because it seemed to me like a rip-off of the CKY album "Infiltrate, Destroy, Rebuild" but maybe that's just me seeing what I want to see

Also: I fully support and encourage all Lost-related references on this board, in wrestling, and wherever else possible. Three years in to AEW, and I'm still waiting for Chuck Taylor to bust out the Dharma Initiative armbands on cable.

Edit: I actually have to give this board a huge piece of credit when it comes to the way I consumed that show. I wasn't a regular poster yet back then, but I always loved coming over here to scope the recap thread and watch everyone going crazy trying to extrapolate info from those Doc Jensen columns on the EW website. Great times.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I want to see the phone call scene from The Constant, but with Randy and Kim Orton. 

Ok an episode of Randy’s consciousness drifting back and forth between 2005 and 2022 would be the shit. Chilled-Out Dad Randy would be so, so confused. 

“If anything goes wrong Paul Levesque will be my constant”

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Which wrestler has the most good-to-great matches where he is consistently the second-best guy in those matches?

I've been watching a ton of Ted DiBiase stuff from Mid-South and All Japan lately, is why I ask. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Which wrestler has the most good-to-great matches where he is consistently the second-best guy in those matches?

I've been watching a ton of Ted DiBiase stuff from Mid-South and All Japan lately, is why I ask. 

Triple H immediately springs to mind

• Like 4

It pains me to say it as a big fan of his, but Tetsuya Naito is a good shout. It probably really depends upon how you rate his opponents, of course, but many of his big matches have come against Tanahashi and especially Okada. Kenny Omega in the G1 final too...though I would argue (perhaps controversially) that at the time Naito was ranked by many at a tier below Okada and Omega when he was in fact their in-ring equal.

More recently, Naito has wrestled ZSJ quite a bit, and Sabre Jr. has been on a hot streak for the last year or two. Courting controversy again: Naito had a good match against Ospreay in this year's G1. I personally would put Naito ahead of Ospreay, but those who rate Will highly would beg to differ.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Low Ki

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

I'm with @Sammo~! on HHH and will submit his cohorts Orton and Batista as my top answers. I think Luger and Sting probably have to be up there, too. This is a weird one, but possibly Paul Wight.

edit: DDP's a good choice, the only great DDP match I can think of where he's not the lesser skilled guy is probably the '98 Havoc with Goldberg. 

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 5

DDP had a couple of good brawls with a broken-down Randy Savage in 1997 where he might have been the best guy in the ring at that point, but yeah.

Sting is so strange in that I love him, but his really great singles matches were all with two opponents: Vader and Foley. I think when it comes to good matches, if we're just counting enjoyable TV stuff, he was the better guy in enough of those that I'm not quite ready to put him that high on the list.

I did think about Hunter, but I'd quibble that he had very many good-to-great matches in general. His stuff with Foley, his feud with Owen, and then the occasional surprise match with Undertaker or Danielson where he was better than I expected is about it. I don't rate the Batista trilogy or the Undertaker WM matches beyond the first one, so most probably think I'm underrating his big match cred, to be fair. 

• Like 1

I’m tempted to say Stan Lane, by being the “lesser” partner in 2/3 tag teams. But then, he often was actually arguing the 4 th worst person in tag matches vs the RnR, the Fantastics, Windham/Garvin, the Guerreros, the Stud Stable, .. 

• Like 3

Stan Lane is the "fourth-best guy in great tag matches" answer, definitely. No one is even close, at least stateside. 

I tried thinking of a couple guys who would fit that spot. Typhoon, maybe, but as awesome as the Natural Disasters were, they don't have the longevity. Evan Karagias was the fourth-/sixth-best guy in all those fun matches between Three Count and the Jung Dragons, but again, no longevity. I contest that Harlem Heat had more fun tag matches than they're given credit for, but not enough for Stevie Ray to be an answer to this question. 

Yeah, Stan Lane is the clear winner in this regard. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Stan Lane is the "fourth-best guy in great tag matches" answer, definitely. No one is even close, at least stateside. 

I tried thinking of a couple guys who would fit that spot. Typhoon, maybe, but as awesome as the Natural Disasters were, they don't have the longevity. Evan Karagias was the fourth-/sixth-best guy in all those fun matches between Three Count and the Jung Dragons, but again, no longevity. I contest that Harlem Heat had more fun tag matches than they're given credit for, but not enough for Stevie Ray to be an answer to this question. 

Warlord says hello

26 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

DDP had a couple of good brawls with a broken-down Randy Savage in 1997 where he might have been the best guy in the ring at that point, but yeah.

Sting is so strange in that I love him, but his really great singles matches were all with two opponents: Vader and Foley. I think when it comes to good matches, if we're just counting enjoyable TV stuff, he was the better guy in enough of those that I'm not quite ready to put him that high on the list.

I did think about Hunter, but I'd quibble that he had very many good-to-great matches in general. His stuff with Foley, his feud with Owen, and then the occasional surprise match with Undertaker or Danielson where he was better than I expected is about it. I don't rate the Batista trilogy or the Undertaker WM matches beyond the first one, so most probably think I'm underrating his big match cred, to be fair. 

Sting had great matches with Flair and Muta also.  His tag with Lex vs the Steiners was one of the best tags of the 90's.  He could work when he wanted to.  I never thought of Foley as one of Sting's greater opponents but damn they had a great match at Beach Blast.  Hell Sting and Rude had some great ones too. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Mick Foley

I thought about him, but pulled back on it only because IMO being able to have the great matches he did while working around his physical limitations actually makes him equal or better to whoever he's in there with in my eyes, but he's def not a bad choice and its really kind of a matter of opinion/perspective anyway

• Like 4

Plus, Mick has at least one great match where he was the best guy in it (junk tag with Maxx Payne versus the Nastys), which I think is enough to maybe take him off this list. 

(I think he's better than Hunter and had two great matches with him and one very good match in the RAW Cactus Jack brawl, the Royal Rumble Cactus Jack hardcore match, and the Summerslam cage match as Mankind, so that also is a big thing for me, but YMMV depending on how you feel about Hunter.)

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Johnny Ace is your Japan contender here.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, porksweats said:

Johnny Ace is your Japan contender here.

I've seen just enough of his stuff to agree emphatically with this. I need to watch more Akira Taue in general. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I'm with @Sammo~! on HHH and will submit his cohorts Orton and Batista as my top answers. I think Luger and Sting probably have to be up there, too. This is a weird one, but possibly Paul Wight.

edit: DDP's a good choice, the only great DDP match I can think of where he's not the lesser skilled guy is probably the '98 Havoc with Goldberg. 

Do you put DDP above or below Raven? Raven seems like a guy who was good at taking guys who where better than him (Jericho, Benoit, Saturn) and giving them a road map

44 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Jim Neinhart is an honorable mention

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

I've seen just enough of his stuff to agree emphatically with this. I need to watch more Akira Taue in general. 

I was going to say Taue, but Taue usually pulled his own weight given his limitations (i.e. always being in the right spot).

• Like 1