DVDVR Message Board

October 2022 Wrestling Discussion

I am waiting for TripleHHH to give me that call for my talent scouting prowess. Colleges? Please. Nothing there but a bunch of mollycoddles and pinks. I see what there they think they're doing now, but all the old traditional places to find wrestlers that I read about in the magazines are being overlooked: the flesh pits of Calcutta, the Canadian lumberjack camps, alone on a farm pulling a plow or tossing hay bales, the darkest heart of Uganda, the year 2012, Thee Iron Gates of Fate, our nightmares, frozen in a block of ice, Algeria, the French Foreign Legion, walking out of the surf, the Wrong Side Of The Tracks, on leave from the State Mental Asylum, 3 Mile Island, Every Girl's Dream, the Bowery, The State of Euphoria, Badstreet USA. I mean, a classic rule of business is to fill a void that everyone else is overlooking. Hunter, I am eminently qualified, brother, gimme a hollar.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 5

3 minutes ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

I am waiting for TripleHHH to give me that call for my talent scouting prowess. Colleges? Please. Nothing there but a bunch of mollycoddles and pinks. I see what there they think they're doing now, but all the old traditional places to find wrestlers that I read about in the magazines are being overlooked: the flesh pits of Calcutta, the Canadian lumberjack camps, alone on a farm pulling a plow or tossing hay bales, the darkest heart of Uganda, the year 2012, Thee Iron Gates of Fate, our nightmares, frozen in a block of ice, Algeria, the French Foreign Legion, walking out of the surf, the Wrong Side Of The Tracks, on leave from the State Mental Asylum, 3 Mile Island, Every Girl's Dream, the Bowery, The State of Euphoria, Badstreet USA. I mean, a classic rule of business is to fill a void that everyone else is overlooking. Hunter, I am eminently qualified, brother, gimme a hollar.

Who exactly was every man's nightmare, every schoolgirl's dream?

• Like 1

On 10/11/2022 at 11:42 PM, JLowe said:

He was fairly tolerable in his WCW pre-cholo days, and then he got shittier and shittier as he leaned on catchphrases and crap signature moves.

14 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

AAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahaheeehehhee...

You're killin' me.

(note: RAF does not enjoy Konnan)

I would agree with JLowe, but I think the thing is his body started to break down which doesn't help you if you weren't particularly great in the first place. He also starts shrinking compared to the giant, juiced up Konnan from the height of his popularity in Mexico. When he's wrestling luchadores right around the time he jumps to the Dungeon of Doom, you can tell he was putting all those matches together. It's just a series of spots. No rhyme or reason. The Super Calo match in Asheville from the night after Fall Brawl 96 sticks out and that's only because Calo is fucking nuts and Konnan does a cradle DDT on him that damn near kills Calo. If you want a car crash match, that's your match. However, he clearly fell into a pattern once he got with the NWO and could do all the mannerisms and crowd work between every damn spot.  

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I would agree with JLowe, but I think the thing is his body started to break down which doesn't help you if you weren't particularly great in the first place. He also starts shrinking compared to the giant, juiced up Konnan from the height of his popularity in Mexico. When he's wrestling luchadores right around the time he jumps to the Dungeon of Doom, you can tell he was putting all those matches together. It's just a series of spots. No rhyme or reason. The Super Calo match in Asheville from the night after Fall Brawl 96 sticks out and that's only because Calo is fucking nuts and Konnan does a cradle DDT on him that damn kills Calo. If you want a car crash match, that's your match. However, he clearly fell into a pattern once he got with the NWO and could do all the mannerisms and crowd work between every damn spot.  

how the hell did he end up in the NWO? Not because he was Maxx Moon I presume?

2 hours ago, zendragon said:

how the hell did he end up in the NWO? Not because he was Maxx Moon I presume?

WCW booking was looking at the NWO roster with this nagging feeling that something was missing.

Booker 1: "Hmmm. So far, we've been trying to just add guys that have some connection to WWF, but that well has run dry."

Booker 2: "This is going to sound crazy, but is there anyone on the roster that has any quasi-homophobic catch phrases?"

Booker 1: "Well, maybe a couple, but do we want them to be good at anything else?"

Booker 2: "I don't think that's necessary."

Booker 1: "Ok, then. I've got just the guy..."

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

This is a great point. It's a well-known fact that wrestling talent comes from anywhere it darn well pleases. WWE has to search better.

Edited by SirSmellingtonofCascadia
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I, for one, still like that this remains a thing. I think I've written about this before, but during the height of Elite-era Bullet Club, there was one guy (...at least I think it was the same guy...) who I kept bumping in to at local festivals or concerts when we both had BC/NJPW shirts on. Quite the coincidence, as this was over the span of a couple of years. Didn't get to know him at all, but we were always sure to compliment each other's shirt choice or exchange a quick "too sweet." 

That's yet another thing the pandemic has seemingly ended: I have not seen quite as much wrestling merch worn in the wild as I did during those years (never mind the logistics of Too Sweet-ing under social distancing recommendations). Maybe a bit more variety, though: I complimented someone's AEW hoodie at a comic book shop, and I saw a guy with an Okada shirt at the supermarket, but didn't want to walk over and say anything because it was during the height of things/pre-vaccines.

If you want more evidence that everything in the 2020s is upside down and backwards: I have caught glimpses of what I thought were Marty Scurll shirts post-Speaking Out, and have seen a Michael Elgin shirt out there. 

Edited by Teflon Turtle
  • Like 1

On 10/12/2022 at 12:42 AM, JLowe said:

He was fairly tolerable in his WCW pre-cholo days, and then he got shittier and shittier as he leaned on catchphrases and crap signature moves.

Oh come on. We all know that shoe! shoe! shoe! was the best thing that he has done. 

Credit where it's due, it is pretty insane in retrospect how over Konnan was in the NWO. WCW had plenty of great promo guys at that time, but Konnan really was sort of the only one in my mind (other than Scott Hall's survey time) that came close to matching that WWF catchphrase-sing-along/call-and-response formula that was starting up with New Age Outlaws, Rock, etc. (of course none of it would fly today with the homophobic comments and some of the insane things he got away with saying in Spanish)

• Like 5

As Brawling Brutes/Imperium was the MOTN at Extreme Rules 2022, I was thinking of times when the opening match of a show was the best. I've come up with:

Owen Hart vs. Bret Hart. WWF WrestleMania X. *****. The biggest example. I've always preferred this to Razor Ramon vs. Shawn Michaels Ladder match. To me Owen Hart vs. Bret Hart is the best opening match ever and second best match in WWF/E history behind Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin at WrestleMania 13 *****.

Brian Pillman vs. Jushin Liger. WCW SuperBrawl II.

Rey Misterio Jr. vs. Psychosis. WCW Bash at the Beach 1996.

Juventud Guerrera vs Blitzkrieg. WCW Spring Stampede 1999.

Rey Mysterio vs. Dolph Ziggler. WWE SummerSlam 2009.

Daniel Bryan vs. Dolph Ziggler. WWE Bragging Rights 2010.

Bray Wyatt vs. Daniel Bryan. WWE Royal Rumble 2014.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

As Brawling Brutes/Imperium was the MOTN at Extreme Rules 2022, I was thinking of times when the opening match of a show was the best. I've come up with:

Owen Hart vs. Bret Hart. WWF WrestleMania X. *****. The biggest example. I've always preferred this to Razor Ramon vs. Shawn Michaels Ladder match. To me Owen Hart vs. Bret Hart is the best opening match ever and second best match in WWF/E history behind Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin at WrestleMania 13 *****.

Brian Pillman vs. Jushin Liger. WCW SuperBrawl II.

Rey Misterio Jr. vs. Psychosis. WCW Bash at the Beach 1996.

Juventud Guerrera vs Blitzkrieg. WCW Spring Stampede 1999.

Rey Mysterio vs. Dolph Ziggler. WWE SummerSlam 2009.

Daniel Bryan vs. Dolph Ziggler. WWE Bragging Rights 2010.

Bray Wyatt vs. Daniel Bryan. WWE Royal Rumble 2014.

Malenko vs Rey from Havoc 1996?

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

@The Natural the two that immediately come to mind for me are Jericho/Eddy from Fall Brawl '97 and (recency bias alert) Danielson/Omega from Grand Slam I

@Zakk_Sabbath: Good shout on the former and how the fuck did I forget the latter?! Holy shit I fucked up there as the biggest Bryan Danielson fan on the board with all due respect to others here. Best match in AEW history, *****.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Pedro said:

Wild rumor that one of the first members added to the Wyatt 6 will be.......................  Colin Delaney.   Odd choice if true. 

The Wyatt 6 should totally be a rif on the Oceanic 6 and a band of characters from WWE continuity yore that seemingly fell off the planet because Ben Linus moved the island or whatever 

Like it starts off with Mike Sanders or Jackson Andrews telling Blitzkreig “we have to go back!”

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Back on the topic of wrestling shirts in the wild - a few months ago, exactly what I feared would happen actually happened while I was wearing the Seth Rollins "Redesign Rebuild Reclaim" shirt. It's bad enough that the front has the little SR logo that looks like a crosshair, but the phrase on the back... yikes, if you live in a heavy red area like I do. Some older guy at a gas station asked me what it meant, and I could kind of tell that he wanted it to mean something very particular. His face when I told him it was an old wrestling shirt was great, though.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3