DVDVR Message Board

October 2022 Wrestling Discussion

14 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

So which universities have the most “people who should be in pro wrestling”?

WWE could probably do well if they tried to mine sports that have good athletes but not great pro prospects such as Water Polo, Gymnastics, Volley Ball, Track n field ect

5 hours ago, zendragon said:

WWE could probably do well if they tried to mine sports that have good athletes but not great pro prospects such as Water Polo, Gymnastics, Volley Ball, Track n field ect

The Water Polo Pit match with Rollins vs a Water Polo player would be something

Although a big brawny shot putter would inevitably feud with Braun Strowman

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zendragon said:

This is 90’s WWF gimmick territory

Walter Polo - Walter in a swimming cap.

Jim Nastic, Paul Vault, Teddy Long Jump.

Track N Field would have to be a tag team. Rich Track and Jerry Field.

Edited by Ultimo Necro
  • Like 1
  • Haha 12

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

He just had surgery, so not sure when he might be back. He's even older than 'Uncle Allen', so hard to see him getting a big run now but I could definitely see him having a good series of matches with Gargano, Owens etc. It's interesting that it's almost hard to imagine him in AEW somehow. 

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, Ultimo Necro said:

This is 90’s WWF gimmick territory

Walter Polo - Walter in a swimming cap.

Jim Nastic, Paul Vault, Teddy Long Jump.

Track N Field would have to be a tag team. Rich Track and Jerry Field.

There already was a Paul Vault, he worked UK indies in the late 90s. His cute female manager turned heel on him, went goth and eventually became Katie Lea Burchill/ Winter/ Katarina Waters.

• Like 5

I see Bret Hart trending on the tweets and got worried he passed away

Turns out it's just reminiscing on him winning the world title, whew!

Hahaha, saw Cornette trending too and saw this gem just now 

Edited by Hayabusa
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

Enjoy everybody.

I just watched this on one of the Coliseum Video comps. Not a bad match, but these two did not have very much chemistry. 

I still feel we were robbed of a Bret/Savage face-vs-face passing the torch style match for the title. They should have had Savage drop it to Bret on TV if they couldn't wait until Survivor Series or had Bret beat '93 Rumble winner Savage at WM IX. 

• Like 4

For some reason, the Hart/Flair matches in WCW weren't all that much better. I think that's why Bret for a long time criticized Flair for being a routine man. It just never clicked because both guys would rather wrestle their own style of match. It sucks because I just saw the in ring interview from the Nitro 1/5/1998 they did with Okerlund at the Georgia Dome. The fans where with it and Flair on his game somewhat playing off their real life animosity. That feels like the closest Bret ever got to doing what he did best in WWF.

• Like 4

Bret and Flair also had a pretty shitty Iron Man match around the time of that title change, but I mostly thought that Flair's control segments were dull as hell in that match. 

Edited by SirSmellingtonofCascadia

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/investigations/consumer/sf-bill-1993-man-fights-city-hall/3024188/?_osource=db_npd_nbc_kntv_twt_shr

In the 1990s, Mike Lano snapped pro photos of pro wrestlers duking it out. Now, he’s the one going to the mat -- with the City of San Francisco over a tax bill.

"It’s the most ridiculous thing that’s ever happened to me, and I’ve been around pro wrestling and that’s about as ridiculous as it gets," he said.

Dr. Lano’s day job in the 90s was dentistry, with a small practice near Sutter and Stockton. Each year, the city billed him a business equipment tax called "unsecured property tax." In 2021, Lano got a collection notice for his 1993 tax bill.

"After 28 years, they’re claiming I was late by X number of days," he said. "I’m not paying a dime because I don’t owe it." 

8 hours ago, SprintingFromAmerica said:

He just had surgery, so not sure when he might be back. He's even older than 'Uncle Allen', so hard to see him getting a big run now but I could definitely see him having a good series of matches with Gargano, Owens etc. It's interesting that it's almost hard to imagine him in AEW somehow. 

He'd probably go back to Impact. But he would be a good vet pick up in the vein of Matt Sydal or Frankie Kazarian both in experience and that he works a more classic style than alot of the people they have

• Like 2

I am waiting for TripleHHH to give me that call for my talent scouting prowess. Colleges? Please. Nothing there but a bunch of mollycoddles and pinks. I see what there they think they're doing now, but all the old traditional places to find wrestlers that I read about in the magazines are being overlooked: the flesh pits of Calcutta, the Canadian lumberjack camps, alone on a farm pulling a plow or tossing hay bales, the darkest heart of Uganda, the year 2012, Thee Iron Gates of Fate, our nightmares, frozen in a block of ice, Algeria, the French Foreign Legion, walking out of the surf, the Wrong Side Of The Tracks, on leave from the State Mental Asylum, 3 Mile Island, Every Girl's Dream, the Bowery, The State of Euphoria, Badstreet USA. I mean, a classic rule of business is to fill a void that everyone else is overlooking. Hunter, I am eminently qualified, brother, gimme a hollar.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 5

3 minutes ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

I am waiting for TripleHHH to give me that call for my talent scouting prowess. Colleges? Please. Nothing there but a bunch of mollycoddles and pinks. I see what there they think they're doing now, but all the old traditional places to find wrestlers that I read about in the magazines are being overlooked: the flesh pits of Calcutta, the Canadian lumberjack camps, alone on a farm pulling a plow or tossing hay bales, the darkest heart of Uganda, the year 2012, Thee Iron Gates of Fate, our nightmares, frozen in a block of ice, Algeria, the French Foreign Legion, walking out of the surf, the Wrong Side Of The Tracks, on leave from the State Mental Asylum, 3 Mile Island, Every Girl's Dream, the Bowery, The State of Euphoria, Badstreet USA. I mean, a classic rule of business is to fill a void that everyone else is overlooking. Hunter, I am eminently qualified, brother, gimme a hollar.

Who exactly was every man's nightmare, every schoolgirl's dream?

• Like 1

On 10/11/2022 at 11:42 PM, JLowe said:

He was fairly tolerable in his WCW pre-cholo days, and then he got shittier and shittier as he leaned on catchphrases and crap signature moves.

14 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

AAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahaheeehehhee...

You're killin' me.

(note: RAF does not enjoy Konnan)

I would agree with JLowe, but I think the thing is his body started to break down which doesn't help you if you weren't particularly great in the first place. He also starts shrinking compared to the giant, juiced up Konnan from the height of his popularity in Mexico. When he's wrestling luchadores right around the time he jumps to the Dungeon of Doom, you can tell he was putting all those matches together. It's just a series of spots. No rhyme or reason. The Super Calo match in Asheville from the night after Fall Brawl 96 sticks out and that's only because Calo is fucking nuts and Konnan does a cradle DDT on him that damn near kills Calo. If you want a car crash match, that's your match. However, he clearly fell into a pattern once he got with the NWO and could do all the mannerisms and crowd work between every damn spot.  

• Like 4