DVDVR Message Board

October 2022 Wrestling Discussion

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

Shane had the entrance with the girls dancing with him. Had a killllller finisher. Plus those great matches. Had WCW got bought by Fusient, he could've blown up.

I know it led to ROH and a bunch of other amazing indies (oh, and TNA), but FFS if Vince had just let the mid and lower cards of WCW be as a promotion...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

random: so if they had a Hulk Hogan vs Papa Shango match/confrontation in 1992 (aside from the late run-in at WM8), does Shango place a voodoo curse on Hogan's pointing arm so he's unable to successfully Hulk Up?

He’d make Hulk lose his hair.

• Haha 5

40 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

random: so if they had a Hulk Hogan vs Papa Shango match/confrontation in 1992 (aside from the late run-in at WM8), does Shango place a voodoo curse on Hogan's pointing arm so he's unable to successfully Hulk Up?

He did curse him. He made him immune to steroids. Just compare the Hulk before and after. 

46 minutes ago, madl said:

Papa Shango cursing Hogan’s leg so he couldn’t lift it to do the leg drop would have been entertainingly campy.

only for Hogan to do the leg drop with the other leg despite the curse logically implying that he couldn't use it as a plant leg

in the spirit of how some people don't know which leg to work with the Figure Four

I'd guess that "Papa Shango makes Hulk Hogan lose his hearing in an attempt to foil the hulkup, only for Hogan to hulk up after feeling the stomps of the fans" would be a little too much for 1992 WWF.

Is William Regal the greatest Wrestling to go From Serious Pro Wrestler to doing comedy back serious wrestler without losing any credibility? 

He said alot of Santinos comedy spots he did was Regals ideas. Santino on the other hand is a legit tough guy but people will always view him as a comedy wrestler

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I wonder how people would react if Truth suddenly became serious. 

I feel like that sort of happened with the whole Awesome Truth thing that people generally seemed to be into. 

• Like 2

R-Truth’s initial heel turn that led to the Lil Jimmy thing was interesting, although he really should’ve been built up before being fed to Cena. Awesome Truth as the gravest existential threat to the WWE locker room ever that caused a roster work stoppage was one of the funniest dumb things they’ve ever done. Extra credit for them being part of the booking strategy to deflate the Summer of Punk. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

Is William Regal the greatest Wrestling to go From Serious Pro Wrestler to doing comedy back serious wrestler without losing any credibility? 

He said alot of Santinos comedy spots he did was Regals ideas. Santino on the other hand is a legit tough guy but people will always view him as a comedy wrestler

I kinda feel like Terry Funk fits this... 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

It probably would have been better for Kurt Angle's health if he was able to pivot more into comedy

It really speaks to Kurt that he's the same guy that can pull off this promo and still come off as the most legit bad ass in the company

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

It probably would have been better for Kurt Angle's health if he was able to pivot more into comedy

I don't think so, because no matter how much comedy he did , he wasn't going to tone anything down in the ring. He was good at comedy and moreso character work overall but WWE had him do really ridiculous stuff. Was it Gerry Brisco that really really hated them have him do so much comedy? Coming for Brisco I understand Why though 

All marks for legitimacy. Angle pro wrestling made them all feel more legit. If he ever got onto the mat like would think he would or actually took the time to sell instead of being hyperactive and rushing to his next spot during his WWE run…. 

• Like 1

On 10/1/2022 at 3:29 PM, JLowe said:

They had Helms, Moore, Styles, Air Paris, Jimmy Yang as young cruisers and that’s just off the top of my head. 

Plus they had just brought in EZ Money (Jason Jett) and Kid Kash after their crazy ECW spotfests. I think they needed one or two more Chavo-level vets to guide the young guys along (Malenko, off doing comedy skits in WWE, would have been perfect go ground/lead the high-flyers).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Ziggy said:

First to say Bryan Danielson. Eddie Guerrero as well.

Second Kurt Angle, William Regal, Terry Funk and R-Truth.

Edited by The Natural