DVDVR Message Board

Antonio Inoki (1943 - 2022)

Zimbra

After I really got hooked on wrestling as a kid and I started renting tapes, I remember I rented one of the early Colossium Videos tapes. One of them had a battle royal that Inoki won. The announcers put him over big you could tell he was a huge deal even though you knew he was an outsider and of course getting in to the magazines I'd read about him being the Promoter of New Japan then later downloading matches and Shows of his matches in the early 80's. I'll admit I still haven't seen as much as alot of people here of his stuff but I've seen enough to be familiar with his work. 

As big of a star as Hogan is or was at his hight, I don't think he's looked at as a deity like Inoki in his Country. I think the Rock will be the closest to that to American fans

• Like 1

Matt, I really appreciate your description of Inoki and early NJPW style. My favorite of his moments of pro wrestling cartoony but awesome storytelling was in one of his Hansen matches where he leaps into the on rushing Western Lariat, landing his own by millimetres to win the match. It has a famous name in Japanese that I forget right now and can't look up, but that's exactly the thing I loved about Inoki. So many moments that are right out of a sports manga, like Hajime no Ippo or something of that ilk. One of a kind legend whose work is now probably underrated because of the lol Inokiism takes. His match with Choshu in '84 is one of the best I've ever seen and perfectly encapsulated Inoki's ace and establishment persona contrasted with Riki's revolutionary chaos. Stillness, calm and counter wrestling juxtaposed with a natural disaster looking to upend the order of things. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Just ready to post this. 

Inoki was one of the first wrestlers I ever saw and definitely the first Japanese wrestler I ever saw cause I saw that movie when I was a kid at our Drive Through Movie theater when it came out.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

The Amazon story left out the best part: All the crocodiles and piranhas actually lined up to be slapped by Inoki so that they would receive his fighting spirit.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5