DVDVR Message Board

MMA Live Event Discussion Thread, Fall-Winter 2022-2023

Elsalvajeloco

FdRMzHnWYAc4AVT.jpg?1663860068

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 69: Dern vs. Yan
October 1, 2022
Las Vegas, NV (UFC APEX)

Mackenzie Dern (115.5) vs. Xiaonan Yan (115.5) - Yan, DEC (majority)
Francisco Trinaldo (170) vs. Randy Brown (170.5) - Brown, DEC (unanimous)
Raoni Barcelos (135.5) vs. Trevin Jones (135) - Barcelos, DEC (unanimous)
Sodiq Yusuff (145.5) vs. Don Shainis (146) - Yusuff, SUB (guillotine choke), R1 (0:30)
Mike Davis (155) vs. Viacheslav Borshchev (155.5) - Davis, DEC (unanimous)
John Castañeda (139.5) vs. Daniel Santos (138.5) - Santos, KO (punches and knee), R2 (4:28)

ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Oleksiy Oliynyk (254) vs. Illir Latifi (253) - Latifi, DEC (unanimous)
Joaquim Silva (155) vs. Jesse Ronson (155.5) - Silva, TKO (strikes), R2 (3:08)
Krzysztof Jotko (185.5) vs. Brendan Allen (186) - Allen, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (4:17)
Julija Stoliarenko (139.5) vs. Chelsea Chandler (140) - Chandler, TKO (punches), R1 (4:15)
Guido Cannetti (135.5) vs. Randy Costa (135) - Cannetti, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (1:04)

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Guido Cannetti
Performance of the Night: Chelsea Chandler
Performance of the Night: Brendan Allen
Performance of the Night: Joaquim Silva
Fight of the Night: John Castañeda vs. Daniel Santos

One championship in Prime 2 was another great show top to bottom. Great promotion and they're giving us Lineker later this month. 

Judging fights as a whole is so much better than by rounds when there are only 3 or 5, otherwise the main event would've gone the other way even though no way did Lee win that fight. 

Nastyukhin did the fucking splits like he was James Brown lol. Awesome opener. Good stuff on prelims too. 

Edited by Jiji

1 minute ago, Jiji said:

One championship in Prime 2 was another great show top to bottom. Great promotion and they're giving us Lineker later this month. 

Judging fights as a whole is so much better than by rounds when there are only 3 or 5, otherwise the main event would've gone the other way even though no way did Lee win that fight. 

I saw Angela Lee trending all night while I was working. I also saw Xiong say something in the post fight presser about Chatri saying that Angela Lee won. Oh, good old fashion judging drama.

Chatri put the belt on Xiong's shoulders and walked off looking disappointed. I'm sure he would rather the super marketable Angela Lee win but oh well lol. Herb Dean was halfway through waving his hands at least once probably two or three times in round one when Xiong was beating the brakes off of Lee. She also continued to land the more impactful strikes rounds 2-5 though Lee had significantly more volume in most of those rounds. Still, Xiong should've won that fight if you're scoring it as a whole rather than by rounds.

• Like 1

For anyone looking to cherry pick the best fights on tonight's card from their DVR later, definitely hit up Santos/Castaneda. Clean head kicks, spinning backfists, grapple scrambles, wild comebacks - it had everything.

• Like 3

Do you think the off-brand gambling website sponsors both fighters, or do the just gamble and pick one?

Also, is that Mark Zuckerberg sitting ringside? Is that why all the cheap seats are empty?

6 minutes ago, AxB said:

Do you think the off-brand gambling website sponsors both fighters, or do the just gamble and pick one?

Also, is that Mark Zuckerberg sitting ringside? Is that why all the cheap seats are empty?

The big story was Zuck bought out the Apex for the evening resulting in no media for the fights. Dana says its a bullshit story and they were just giving the media the night off. Sure man.

As for the first question, I would bet the website emailed everyone and said if you say this line you'll get paid. Where I would place such a bet....I can't remember.

Pretty good nailbiter in the mainevent. Gutsy performance for Yan who had to survive a pretty big grappling discrepancy against a jiujitsu wizard. Multiple times I thought she was absolutely fucked and she survived. Thought it could've been a 47-47 draw with Dern getting a 10-8 in there, but no complaints. Solid show.

3 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Pico's fight stopped due to a seemingly broken clavicle. God damn. ?

Josh Thomson claiming the referee robbed Pico by stopping the fight was hilarious. I am not the biggest John McCarthy fan, but thank God he didn't entertain that foolishness.

37 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Josh Thomson claiming the referee robbed Pico by stopping the fight was hilarious. I am not the biggest John McCarthy fan, but thank God he didn't entertain that foolishness.

Thomson walked it back saying that he didn't have the audio that the broadcast had and was in the seats so he thought it was a separated shoulder and Pico wanted to keep fighting. But yeah, Josh Thomson sucks either way. 

Spike Carlyle still a perennial Fucked Fucker of the Year contender, I see. No defense all attack. Okay, cool.

Big day for Chinese WMMA on the 70th anniversary of the PRC's founding. #blessed

Edited by Jiji
  • Haha 1

Fdc9rXnaUAAbSrM.jpg?1664077916

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 70: Grasso vs. Araújo
October 15, 2022
Las Vegas, NV (UFC APEX)

Alexa Grasso (125.5) vs. Viviane Araújo (126) - Grasso, DEC (unanimous)
Cub Swanson (135) vs. Jonathan Martinez (135.5) - Martinez, TKO (strikes), R2 (4:19)
Duško Todorović (186) vs. Jordan Wright (185) - Todorović, TKO (elbows), R2 (3:12)
Raphael Assunção (136) vs. Victor Henry (136) - Assunção, DEC (unanimous)
Misha Cirkunov (205.5) vs. Alonzo Menifield (205.5) - Menifield, KO (punches), R1 (1:28)

ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Brandon Davis (136) vs. Leomana Martinez (136) - Martinez, DEC (unanimous)   
Nick Maximov (185.5) vs. Jacob Malkoun (185.5) - Malkoun, DEC (unanimous)
Joanderson Brito (146) vs. Lucas Alexander (145.5) - Brito, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (2:02)   
Sam Hughes (115) vs. Piera Rodríguez (115.5) - Rodríguez, DEC (unanimous)
Tatsuro Taira (126)  vs. C.J. Vergara (129)* - Taira, SUB (armbar), R2 (4:19)
Mike Jackson (170) vs. Pete Rodriguez (170.5) - Rodriguez, KO (punches and knee), R1 (1:33)

*Forfeits 30% of purse for missing weight 

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Tatsuro Taira 
Performance of the Night: Jonathan Martinez
Fight of the Night: Duško Todorović vs. Jordan Wright

8 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 70: Grasso vs. Araujo

Mike Jackson vs. Pete Rodriguez

wait, THAT Mike Jackson is fighting again? i had to look it up, and he actually fought earlier this year too? i can't believe he got another fight after the CM Punk fiasco.

2 hours ago, twiztor said:

wait, THAT Mike Jackson is fighting again? i had to look it up, and he actually fought earlier this year too? i can't believe he got another fight after the CM Punk fiasco.

Yep, that Mike Jackson. I guess they may technically owe him fights or something. I dunno.