DVDVR Message Board

MMA Live Event Discussion Thread, Fall-Winter 2022-2023

Elsalvajeloco

I fancy Henry Cejudo to beat Aljamain Sterling for the UFC Bantamweight Championship but it's dependent on how Henry looks after coming out of retirement. Still remember last time out Petr Yan dropping a BS split decision to Sean O'Malley. Had he got the nod he might have avoided his opponent here, Merab Dvalishvili and a 50-45 shutout.

Record made.

One of the best Lightweights to do it though fortunate with split decision wins. Bendo vs. Edgar 2 was a legit robbery and I thought Cerrone best Henderson in their first fight.

Edited by The Natural

Fq_CtbvWIAAkkLS?format=jpg&name=large

1-4 record for Petr Yan since 6th March 2021. That dates back to the Russian’s disqualification defeat losing the UFC Bantamweight Championship to Aljamain Sterling at UFC 259.

Edited by The Natural

16 hours ago, The Natural said:

Record made.

One of the best Lightweights to do it though fortunate with split decision wins. Bendo vs. Edgar 2 was a legit robbery and I thought Cerrone best Henderson in their first fight.

Funny enough, Frankie Edgar was all I could think about watching Merab fight. Hyperactive cardio machine who seamlessly incorporated takedown attempts into his striking. The footwork, the ring positioning, that very particular move where you drop your head/lead shoulder and your opponent doesn't know if you're punching or shooting.

• Like 1

326508675_480015814330718_26945841769648

UFC 286: Edwards vs. Usman III
March 18, 2023
London, England, United Kingdom (O2 Arena)

UFC Welterweight Championship: Leon Edwards © (170) vs. Kamaru Usman (170) (first defense) - Edwards, DEC (majority)
Justin Gaethje (156) vs. Rafael Fiziev (156) - Gaethje, DEC (majority)
Gunnar Nelson (170) vs. Bryan Barberena (171) - Nelson, SUB (armbar), R1 (4:51)
Jennifer Maia (126) vs. Casey O'Neill (125) - Maia, DEC (unanimous)
Marvin Vettori (185.5) vs. Roman Dolidze (186) - Vettori, DEC (unanimous)

ESPNews / ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Jack Shore (146) vs. Makwan Amirkhani (146) - Shore, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (4:27)
Chris Duncan (156) vs. Omar Morales (156) - Duncan, DEC (split)
Sam Patterson (155.5) vs. Yanal Ashmoz (155) - Ashmoz, KO (punches), R1 (1:15)
Muhammad Mokaev (126) vs. Jafel Filho (125.5) - Mokaev, SUB (neck crank), R3 (4:32)

ESPN+ / Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Lerone Murphy (145.5) vs. Gabriel Santos (145.5) - Murphy, DEC (split)
Christian Leroy Duncan (185.5) vs. Duško Todorović (186) - Duncan, TKO (knee injury), R1 (1:52)
Malcolm Gordon (129.5)* vs. Jake Hadley (126) - Hadley, TKO (punches), R1 (1:01)
Joanne Wood (126) vs. Luana Carolina (126) - Wood, DEC (split)
Jai Herbert (156) vs. Ľudovít Klein (156) - DRAW (majority)
Juliana Miller (125.5) vs. Veronica Hardy (125.5) - Hardy, DEC (unanimous)

*Forfeits 30% of purse for missing weight 

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Jake Hadley
Performance of the Night: Gunnar Nelson
Fight of the Night: Justin Gaethje vs. Rafael Fiziev

Attendance: 17,588
Gate: $8.58 million

UFC 286 prime time in the UK and BT Sports put it on Box Office. The bastards. Leon Edwards head kick KO of Kamaru Usman was one of the most shocking things I've seen watching the sport. Edwards was losing. Usman the P4P #1 was a minute away from defending his UFC Middleweight Championship and tying Anderson Silva record for consecutive wins with 16. For all those reasons, it was the 2022 KO of the Year so I'm surprised some still gave it to Michael Chandler front kick to the face of Tony Ferguson. That was amazing but with the context of how the fight went and what it meant, has to be Edwards.

Edited by The Natural

Marvin Vettori vs. Dolidze and Gaethje/Fiziev are two very interesting fights. Gaethje and Vettori are both in similar positions of being at the top of their divisions but unable to beat the best guys. Now they gotta derail some hype trains. Both should be highly entertaining.

I didn't realize Colby Covington was sneaking around making weight as an alternate.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jaedmc said:

Marvin Vettori vs. Dolidze and Gaethje/Fiziev are two very interesting fights. Gaethje and Vettori are both in similar positions of being at the top of their divisions but unable to beat the best guys. Now they gotta derail some hype trains. Both should be highly entertaining.

In particular, I am surprised Gaethje took this fight as Fiziev is high risk, low reward. If Gaethje wins, he should get the proper credit cause that's a tough fight to take for anyone.

I didn't realize Colby Covington was sneaking around making weight as an alternate.

Hell, I didn't either. That's kinda big news even though both guys in the main event have weighed in and made weight. It's weird that Colby is totally under the radar now. I mean I am fine with it, but it's really weird.

Can anyone offer up a good reason Colby is getting the next shot? He’s 2-2 in his last four only beating a beyond washed up Woodley, and a decision over Masvidal. Plus he was given and choked in a rematch against Usman. People talk crap about Conor, but at least he’s a draw. Outside of the Trump supporters nobody buys Colby’s fights (and hardly any of them do either). 

• Like 1

I mean ppv buys are still important because they still sell ppvs on the platform.

This will be an interesting test of his value. With Usman there was a lot of heat, and the interest of watching his hype train get derailed. And that was amplified by a more cultural desire to see a MAGA guy get shit kicked by a black Champion. 

With Masvidal there was the friends becoming enemies and Masvidal's star power.

Now with Leon there's no built in story. They don't have a history, like Leon has with Masvidal. Colby only has the one win so there's no hype around him dominating people like Khamzat, Burns, or Belal.  So now we'll really see how well he can sell a fight.

That being said - Colby could very well become champion -and will probably be the betting favorite going in. He's so legitimate a threat that I think that's why it's ok that he's getting a shot. I just would prefer something else. Like I'd rather watch Leon vs. Wonderboy and that probably makes less sense.