DVDVR Message Board

MMA Live Event Discussion Thread, Fall-Winter 2022-2023

Elsalvajeloco

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FnDlAZxakAQ1F6t?format=jpg&name=large

I noticed Glover had his gloves off after the fight ended. Glover has retired. Former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion. One of the toughest to ever do it. One of the nicest fighters to ever do it, a legit good guy and one of the best fights in MMA history vs. Jiri. Sucks we lost out on a rematch with Jiri fucking his shoulder.

2 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

This was a good time for Glover to call it a career. Keep in mind, he is two years OLDER than Shogun Rua who also retired tonight.

Yep. Call it a day in your home country. Would have been a fairytale ending had Glover won.

6 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

I've never seen an arena empty that fast in my life.

Outside of WCW PPVs from the early 90s, the closest would be some of those Fight Night cards in Brazil on FS1 after the hometown guy would lose in the main event. It was like clockwork.

this was a pretty damn good event overall. 

WOW at the Bonfim Bros. coming out of nowhere and each winning via stoppage. good on them. Ismael's knee was insane. helluva debut. my favorite part of Gabriel's fight was actually Lazzez's prefight interview:
"he hasn't fought the guy's i've fought. every dog has his day and his day's gonna be tonight" 🤣

RIP Shogun's career. it was long and provided many highlights. one of the last holdouts from PRIDE. 

DOUBLE WOW at Johnny Walker just starching Paul Craig. really showed off his power, that was crazy. 

Lauren Murphy just ate a ton of punishment. her corner should have thrown in the towel mid/late rd 2. the fact that she came out for rd3 is just atrocious.

solid win for Moreno and good way to sunset the Figueiredo feud. not the best fight in and of itself, but a decisive end that would have only been more decisive if it had continued.

what a war between Hill and Glover. another fight that could have (and should have) been stopped by the corner. 

• Like 1

I would say the PRIDE NEVER DIE aspect and sentiment died about 5 or 6 years ago. Shogun, I would consider the last PRIDE fighter to still be fighting for the UFC. Lawler and Nick Diaz had a bunch of UFC fights before and after they fought in PRIDE.

5 hours ago, twiztor said:

this was a pretty damn good event overall. 

WOW at the Bonfim Bros. coming out of nowhere and each winning via stoppage. good on them. Ismael's knee was insane. helluva debut. my favorite part of Gabriel's fight was actually Lazzez's prefight interview:
"he hasn't fought the guy's i've fought. every dog has his day and his day's gonna be tonight" 🤣

RIP Shogun's career. it was long and provided many highlights. one of the last holdouts from PRIDE. 

DOUBLE WOW at Johnny Walker just starching Paul Craig. really showed off his power, that was crazy. 

Lauren Murphy just ate a ton of punishment. her corner should have thrown in the towel mid/late rd 2. the fact that she came out for rd3 is just atrocious.

solid win for Moreno and good way to sunset the Figueiredo feud. not the best fight in and of itself, but a decisive end that would have only been more decisive if it had continued.

what a war between Hill and Glover. another fight that could have (and should have) been stopped by the corner. 

Pissed me off that. Woeful negligence by the corner, you know the men and woman who should protect their fighter.

• 2 weeks later...

FmbsQi6XoAEvGEe.jpg?1673719851

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 76: Lewis vs. Spivac
February 4, 2023
Las Vegas, NV (UFC APEX)

Derrick Lewis (265) vs. Serghei Spivac (255.5) - Spivac, SUB (arm triangle choke), R1 (3:05)
Da Un Jung (205) vs. Devin Clark (204.5) - Clark, DEC (unanimous)
Marcin Tybura (253.5) vs. Blagoy Ivanov (256.5) - Tybura, DEC (unanimous)
Doo Ho Choi (145.5) vs. Kyle Nelson (145.5) - DRAW (majority)
Yusaku Kinoshita (170.5) vs. Adam Fugitt (170.5) - Fugitt, TKO (elbows), R1 (4:36)

ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Road to UFC Lightweight Tournament Final: Anshul Jubli (155.5) vs. Jeka Saragih (155) - Jubli, TKO (punches and elbows), R2 (3:44)
Road to UFC Featherweight Tournament Final: Zha Yi (145.5) vs. Jeong Yeong Lee (145) - Lee, DEC (split)
Road to UFC Bantamweight Tournament Final: Rinya Nakamura (135) vs. Toshiomi Kazama (136) - Nakamura, KO (punch), R1 (0:33)
Road to UFC Flyweight Tournament Final: Hyun Sung Park (124.5) vs. Seung Guk Choi (125.5) - Park, SUB (rear naked choke), R3 (3:11)
Jun Yong Park (185.5) vs. Denis Tiuliulin (186) - Park, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (4:05)
Tatsuro Taira (125.5) vs. Jesus Aguilar (125) - Taira, SUB (triangle armbar), R1 (4:20)

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Tatsuro Taira
Performance of the Night: Rinya Nakamura
Performance of the Night: Anshul Jubli
Performance of the Night: Serghei Spivac

26 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Road to UFC Lightweight Tournament Final: Anshul Jubli vs. Jeka Saragih
Road to UFC Featherweight Tournament Final: Zha Yi vs. Jeong Yeong Lee
Road to UFC Bantamweight Tournament Final: Rinya Nakamura vs. Toshiomi Kazama
Road to UFC Flyweight Tournament Final: Hyun Sung Park vs. Seung Guk Choi

what are these? did tournaments play out on some of the undercards throughout the year? Is this just for a UFC contract?

sorry, first i've heard of this.

5 hours ago, twiztor said:

what are these? did tournaments play out on some of the undercards throughout the year? Is this just for a UFC contract?

sorry, first i've heard of this.

For a UFC contract. This is basically the 2nd season of a reality show they're doing across Asia. This card was originally suppose to happen in Seoul, South Korea. Once it was moved to Vegas, they kept those fights on.

• Thanks 1

The card was actually pretty solid even if you consider the main event result was pretty much the inevitable. The issue is they can't bring the Showtime production of doing 5 video packages and then going back to the desk for 5+ minutes of analysis between fights and then trying to squeeze in a three round fight and two fights that potentially could go five rounds.  On top of that, you wanted to give Fedor a great sendoff and that's going to take 5-10 minutes, That's a lot of stuff to fit in on a two hour broadcast if you have no control over the lengths of the fights.

It's fitting that Jean Claude Van Damme showed up on the Bellator broadcast after the Brennan Ward and Sabah Homasi fight. I say that because Rinya Nakamura just hit a man so hard that he almost made him do a split on the way down to the mat.

5 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Derrick Lewis fought like a guy who would rather be doing anything but fighting. Credit to Spivac though. He didn't waste anytime trying to get Lewis out of there.

I had hope for a moment. Lewis got back to his feet multiple times, and I thought each time he'd explode out, but nothing. I know it's not easy, but it felt like there were windows to get out and he just didn't have any "go."

"Polar Bear is here. Polar Bear is coming."

Heavyweight is wild right now. Jones/Gane/Blaydes/Pavlovich/Tuivasa/Spivac/Aspinal/Rozenstruik. I mean you could mix and match those names and have an exciting main event. Maybe one more good Stipe fight. The fact that Ngannou isn't apart of this is fucking criminal.

• Like 1

From the Observer update today:

The fast nationals for last night's Bellator show on CBS were 928,000 viewers and an 0.15 in 18-49. This would not include the West Coast (except the Las Vegas market) which aired the show out of prime time. But the number was a major disappointment. The final number will be up a little from that number. Bu it won't be a good number for CBS prime time. Last Saturday in the same time slot the network did 2,492,000 viewers and 0.22 in 18-49. They didn't announce a return date which wasn't a good sign. The show aired at different times. The actual rating won't come out until Tuesday morning. In Providence, RI it didn't run due to a local telethon. Las Vegas ran it on a three-hour tape delay. (thanks to Arya Witner)

I wonder what the expectation was with no real stars of consequence on the show. Of the three fights, the first one was slotted to be a surefire finish between two sluggers (one who was from an older era of Bellator and spent several years out of the cage due to personal issues). Both guys were not stars to begin with. The second was also between two non-stars even though Eblen is pretty solid. Had Eblen not beat Mousasi for the middleweight title, it would have Gegard Mousasi who some people do kinda know. As for the main event, Fedor hasn't been a relevant fighter in what? At least five or six years. Bader is a name fighter, but not that big a name. He has spent most his career before Bellator being the B-side of all his major fights.

Bellator is what it is. They don't have sort of the curiosity factor and intrigue that EliteXC had when they start doing their shows on CBS 15 years ago. Plus, there is a much smaller pool of casuals who will sit and watch MMA that isn't the UFC. There is no Gina Carano or Kimbo Slice to just throw on a card. However, given there were in a major media market and this show in particular was likely a one off anyway, I would have taken the time to at least announce a major signing or major fight to hook viewers for the future. I am very surprised that they didn't do that.

• Sad 1

I'll be honest. I didn't know this show was even happening. I didn't know Fedor was having another fight. I didn't know it was in CBS. If you guys hadn't mentioned it while I was looking what time the UFC Fight Night Card started, I wouldn't have ever known.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

I'll be honest. I didn't know this show was even happening. I didn't know Fedor was having another fight. I didn't know it was in CBS. If you guys hadn't mentioned it while I was looking what time the UFC Fight Night Card started, I wouldn't have ever known.

You would have to been watch the Showtime cards cause that's where they promoted it. I don't think they did much actual promotion on CBS. I don't remember them though announcing anything outside Bader vs. Fedor. I believe Vadim Nemkov vs. Yoel Romero was suppose to be in the slot Eblen vs. Tokov occupied and then Nemkov withdrew. That was pretty much it.

i watched the Fedor fight. nice retirement mini-ceremony in the cage. enjoyed seeing all the old timers in there with him. Disappointed in the result but not surprised at all.

That being said, is the rest of the card worth watching? the CBS side as well as the prelims (that i guess aired on youtube?). i don't follow Bellator so don't recognize most of the fighter names. Seriously, outside of Fedor, Bader, Lorenz Larkin, and Karl Albrektsson (edit: also Darrion Caldwell), nothing is ringing a bell. I also see a lot of decisions, so probably not high hopes, but maybe?

I wonder what the expectation was with no real stars of consequence on the show.

supposedly per Ariel, Coker was talking about 3m, although i have serious questions on if that were a legitimate estimate or just a number thrown out to sound impressive

Edited by twiztor