DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 9/30/2022

1nzT1WL.jpg

Good heavens! Willow vs Hayter! That's, legitimately, my two favourite non-Japanese female professional wrestlers facing off. Damn, AEW! Way to keep your fans happy (while... you know). What a tremendous match-up. The fierce, scary, super hard-hitting lady vs the big bubbly super hard-hitting lady! Oh boy is this great!

Speaking of: Hungie vs Roosh! Hard to think of a more fun currently possible match-up that I have never seen before! These guys are gonna sprint.around the ring. They are gonna hit hard and they are gonna hit fast. they are gonna do creative things. It would actually have saved me a lot of time and energy if, in the wake of the gripe bomb and AEW shifting away from being a happy worker's paradise, I had been able to shift away from Dynamite and Rampage being appointment viewing. But: Nope. They keep hucking awesome-looking hardcore-fan-appeal match-ups at us. I can't wait and watch this later, at my leisure. I have to enjoy it while it's happening, as I chat with my wrestling nerd friends online. I just can't quit you, AEW.

Taigastyle vs Fuego! On network TV! I suppose there are people who are not stoked for this match due to lack of star power or something? With those people, I am not simpatico. If it weren't for Willow vs Hayter and Silver vs Rush, this would be the match I am most stoked for.

The Private Partiers vs The Acclaimeds vs B&B is likely gonna involve Matt Hardy angle advancement. Also lots of nifty crowd-pleasing spots. Maybe Billy Gunn will punch Matt Hardy. 

"Scissor me, daddy!" hasn't worn out its welcome yet. Nor has El Diablo Guapo. Hopefully Hook doesn't have too much to say. He's more fun when he's quiet and mysterious, in my opinion. 

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 5

Another hour just flying by. Surprised they opened with the tag match, and very pleasantly surprised if wasn't angle-heavy. Always happy to see Fuego on network TV. I will leave the "Where was Fuego Dos" joke for someone else. Willow vs Hayter was so hard-hitting and the finish was great. PERFECT use of Hook!

Waitasecond. Did he just say "We are going to show everyone our weiners?" Maybe I misheard. I disagree with Mark Henry. I think we needed a little more talk before the main event (to sort out that "weiner" thing). This was a good show for folks who like hard-hitting wrestling! A nice birthday present for our boy Matt! Tough choice between Jericho vs Bandido, Siver vs Rush, and Willow vs Hayter for the weekly DEAN poll. The ROH match had blood... But I'm leaning toward the ladies match. I really liked that finish.

ROOSH VS HANGM'N!!

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

DEAN is gonna love the EVEREST GERMANS~! 

Anyway it was fun. Ryan was nice enough to listen to me ramble about bands I was in on the Discord. Willow/Hayter was probably Cibernetico enough to send some of you scrambling for screencaps. Ziggler's brother is just as good as him in getting completely murdered by somebody, and Rush made sure his match won the full WAR point by just smashing the fuck out of the tough little Meat Man. Hangman/Rush is the best idea for both guys because neither of them seem to have an off switch/another level than "full-tilt". Also, it amused me to see the guy in the Marduk shirt get a closeup during the PnP. Should have been wearing the "Fuck Me Jesus" shirt bud! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

They are doing the Scissoring Daddy Ass thing!  Geez, I hate a Three Way Dance.  Scissoring is the new Cornhole in the new definition that makes laugh in my mind when I think about it.  Private Party isn't getting much in, which is odd since they are in mid-face turn with the rejoining with Matt Hardy and all.  Anthony Bowen becomes our face in peril as this becomes the Acclaimed versus the Butcher and the Blade.  Anthony Bowen tags in Isaiah Kassidy and Private Party finally gets in a bunch of stuff.  Marq Quin bumps BIG to the floor!   Stuff happens and the Acclaimed gets the pin!  That was a train wreck like all three ways are but it was fun, I guess.  Oh man.  I didn't recognize Nyla with her hair like that.  PUT THE BELT ON NYLA!  It's Lee Moriarty taking on Fuego Del Sol!  FUEGO! FUEGO! FUEGO! is gonna lose.  Moriarty goes completely BattlARTS and puts Fuego away pretty quickly.  It's Willow Nightingale!  It's the amazingly OVER Jamie Hayter!  Oh man, this match is STIFF.  This is like a KnockOuts match.  Willow Nightingale is Deonna Purrazzo and Jamie Hayter is Masha Slamovich.  Yeah, I need to see the INTERNATIONAL FEED to see Hayter beat the life out of Willow.  WILLOW POUNCES!  DEATH VALLEY DRIVER BY WILLOW FOR TWO!  SWEET Lariat by Hayter for the win.  That was good.  Why isn't Hook in the Blackpool Combat Club?  RUSH is so AWESOME.  John Silver and Rush tell a STORY!  I would enjoy Rush beating the fuck out of all the Dark Order, ending up with him beating Hangman Page for the strap.  Hell, he just signed a contract.  Actually, Jericho versus Rush is the money match- with Rush having the Lucha Libre sense of honor being the former ROH champion and Jericho trying to desecrate it.  This would be good for the first ROH TV episode!  Anyway,  while in picture in picture,  Andrade stomps on John Silver.  Then RUSH starts beating the fuck out of Johnnie Hungee!  Rush misses a toprope Senton and we go back to Big Picture.  NICE EVEREST GERMAN SUPLEX by Silver.  AND ANOTHER!  Fun nearfall on a Powerbomb by Silver.  Northern Light Suplex FOR TWO by Rush!  Rush is so awesome as a dick kicking Silver in the head like Koji Kanemoto in 1998.  CRAZY BRAINBYSTER BY SILVER.  Rush is bringing out the best in Silver as they beat the fuck out of each other.  Postmatch, RUSH VERSUS HANGMAN! MAKE IT HAPPEN, TK!  AND HE DOES!  That was great.  Two good matches is about the RAMPAGE average.  AEW RULES THE MOTHERFUCKING WORLD!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It probably won't happen but I would be 100% behind Nyla ending Jade's win streak. 

1 hour ago, DEAN said:

Yeah, I need to see the INTERNATIONAL FEED to see Hayter beat the life out of Willow.

This one got hurt by not only getting the PnP but the commercial break to boot. 

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

DEAN is gonna love the EVEREST GERMANS~! 

Anyway it was fun. Ryan was nice enough to listen to me ramble about bands I was in on the Discord. Willow/Hayter was probably Cibernetico enough to send some of you scrambling for screencaps. Ziggler's brother is just as good as him in getting completely murdered by somebody, and Rush made sure his match won the full WAR point by just smashing the fuck out of the tough little Meat Man. Hangman/Rush is the best idea for both guys because neither of them seem to have an off switch/another level than "full-tilt". Also, it amused me to see the guy in the Marduk shirt get a closeup during the PnP. Should have been wearing the "Fuck Me Jesus" shirt bud! 

Don't give Alex Reynolds any ideas

I hope this is the start of the long awaited (by me) Nyla face turn

WARJOE!!!  THE NEW MEGAPOWERS I AM HERE FOR IT!!! THE ONLY QUESTION IS WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE? IS THE STRATOSPHER? IS IT THE IONOSHPERE?

• Like 2

We're getting PAC vs Trent Baretta?!? I could just stop right there.

Fuego Del Sol just got his record tied for wins and losses, now he's back on the losing side thanks to Moriarty.

Willow had a hell of a match with Hayter.

Silver vs Rush was a blast. As high impact as you'd expect. But it leads to Rush vs Hangman which is even more exciting news.

The opening 3-way was a nice appreciation for AEW original tag team scene. It really does seem like a new era (which is more like the early era). I totally missed the national scissoring day prior to this. I'm not sure if we have that in Finland? I mean our household has like 4-5 pairs of scissors alone, so we might as well have!

So 10 vs Andrade plays right into the rumors of Andrade wanting out? Well, this should be interesting.

Oh, an Hook going through all of the undercard is good stuff. Next stop, the Trustbusters!

Edited by Shartnado
Needs more Hook!
  • Like 4

Been focused on Inoki stuff, but this was a good episode!

• I thought the triple threat tag worked pretty well, actually. They did a good job coming up with reasons why people were and weren't in the ring even if there was a bit too much of other people running in. Bowens and Kassidy worked well together. Acclaimed is actually tweaking their act a little bit to add in some scissor stuff, which is good. You want the team that wins the belts to adapt a little bit but not so much it loses what got them there. Here, they're leaning into what was working. I liked how Butcher/Blade had familiarity with Private Party's stuff. The blind tag at the end during the tag was kind of clever but also kind of bullshit.
  • Moriarty is working so much better after the BCC matches and he's just leaning into it more and more as a heel now. Great. His match with Garcia will be awesome whenever that happens.
  • Hayter vs Willow was really good but Hayter's in a tough spot as she's getting cheered but she was agented into a match with Britt interference and outright heeling instead of just subtle heeling. Loved the bit where she hit the Irish Curse backbreaker and then couldn't hold the pin right because she was selling her leg. Willow seemed to tone down the super face mannerisms as she knew the crowd wasn't behind her, which was smart and subtle. Run it back a few more times.
  • Speaking of running it back, looking forward to Nyla vs Jade. They really need to just run with face Nyla clowning people at some point. She's so charismatic and funny and understands how to use social media that I bet it'd come through in ring. Can you imagine a Nyla/WIllow team? On the other hand, I don't think the Gunn Club act where they get everything wrong works at all. I wanted IWGPR2-D2 to work but it didn't. IWG3P-0 would have! Ah well. Also not working is Nemeth's "Buzzkill" Armstrong version of his brother's bad comedy. Even as the guy who gets killed by the world's tiniest Sid in Hook, putting him out there for a minute is just bad TV. He's fine on Dark.
  • Main event was good. It was very back and forth, maybe too much so considering the hierarchy and how they need to be using Rush, though Rush is kind of bulletproof because he's so intense and such an asshole and so confident in himself. It was ok it was so back and forth given that every shift was character driven. There's some real curiosity with the mask match next week as Andrade's been making not so subtle posts about leaving.
Edited by Matt D
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Watched this morning, enjoyed all the matches with Willow-Jayme being my favorite. I also didn’t recognize Nyla at first in the backstage segment, and I also would be very fine with Nyla being the one to get the TBS title. 

For a minute I was thinking they’re going to build to Acclaimed-Hardyz title match and switch, but that would be mega-face vs mega-face.

Hook had some problems with Nemeth’s shirt on his big throw and it almost went very very wrong.

• Like 3

Rush is entertaining because he's such an asshole on a meta scale.  He doesn't sell hardly ever, he seems unsafe, and he just comes across as incredibly selfish.  Once Lawful Jr. and I figured this out, it's all we see in a Rush match.  Last night against Silver was an excellent example. 

Edited by Lawful Metal
  • Like 6