DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 9/26 - 10/2/2022

Greggulator

Sami has been GOAT level with this persona. But Jey Uso also really deserves a ton of flowers. He is doing an awesome job telling his side of the story without much mic time at all - just sneers of confusion and anger and jealousy. A+ work from one of the best and most underrated character performers around.

• Like 4

My main takeaway from Raw tonight is how loaded the roster is. Every match was good. They had a main event match with Damien Priest against Matt Riddle. Neither of those guys has been on the main roster for all that long and it was a really well-done 15-minute main event TV match. Sami/AJ was really great. KO/Gargano against Alpha Academy, too.

The opening match between Bianca and Io absolutely blew me away. That was a PPV-quality match. I am prone to exaggeration, but when was the last time a WWE woman's match without any of the Horsewomen in it was that friggin' good? It felt like a match where Io leveled up because Bianca had to level up and break out a few new tricks. Great great great match. 

• Like 3

First time watching a full three-hour RAW in, I don’t even know how long, and, man, this was, very enjoyable?

Bianca vs. Io, Rollins vs. Mysterio, Owens/Gargano vs. Gable/Otis, Styles vs. Zayn, Riddle vs. Priest all solid TV matches. Bianca vs. Io specifically was really great.

I could do without the Miz/Lumis stuff, and while I like 3/4s of the members, the Judgement Day stuff is lame, but beyond that everything was pretty good.

MAN!  I'm late!  The Cowboys were playing and then I was watching some other stuff.  IYO SKY versus Bianca Belair!  GREAT Rana Counter into a Backbreaker by Belair.  These gals are laying it in!  I love how the power of Belair makes her stuff look rough compared to the Joshi smoothness of IYO, so it's like Belair is Steve Williams in All Japan.  Actually,  Belair is Dynamite Kansai and IYO SKY is Takako Inoue.  WWE needs an Aja Kong to counter the power of Belair like Aja Kong countered the power of Dynamite Kansai.  This match is great.  One forgets how great IYO SKY is.  Belair is awesome.  Rey Mysterio takes on a wildly resurgent Seth Rollins!  Rollins GETS HARDWAY COLOR!  WWE TAKES A STEP BACK!  Rey is the definition of sympathetic babyface and Rollins beats the crud out of him to get the crowd behind Rey's STRUGGLE to escape the overpowering offense of Seth Rollins!  Rey has a fun comeback that Rollins cuts off by crushing his stomach on Rollins' knee.  Dominik shows up!  With a chair!  And sits down and watches.  Rollins mocks Eddie!  Rey DDTs out of the Third Amigo.  Nice counter out of a Rollins Bucklebomb attempt with a Rana.  This match will be the best match to get maybe one vote in my weekly poll.  This is fucking great.  Rey has a THIRD comeback, rana to the floor and hitting a Pete Rose Slide through the bottom rope to Rollins on the floor.  Rey hits a Stuka Crossbody for two!  You can't toprope Powerbomb Rey Misterio Jr!  Dominik distracts Rey and Rhea Ripley mows him over!  PERUVIAN NECKTIE FOR THE WIN!  That was great.  Alpha Academy versus Kevin Owens and Johnny Gargano!  THE PANDA EXPRESS!  Otis and KO is solid gold in the ring.  Owens is the Jon Moxley of RAW.  Gargano and Otis is solid gold too.  Maybe Otis is solid gold.  Owens is great on the apron as Gargano becomes a babyface in peril.  It's a tiny heat segment as Owens tags in pretty quickly and Owens CRUSHES Otis with a Cannonball into the corner.  Owens applies a Sharpshooter in Canada!  Otis breaks it up!  Owens hits a Swanton!  GREAT German Suplex by Gable.  Gable goes all CRAZY with Steiner Suplexes on Gargano.  Alpha Academy hits a NICE Reverse Doomsday Device!  Otis slaughterizes Owens with a Lariat on the floor.  Owens puts Otis through the announcers table!  Austin Theory distracts Gargano!  Gable hits his Pendulum Thingy FOR TWO!  Gargano kicks Theory in the teeth!  Gargano pins Gable!  Will Gable ever win again?  That was great.  Hey!  It's Candace LaRae!  She trained Britt Baker!  It's Nikki ASH!  I love Nikki ASH.  LaRae is laying it in!  GREAT Finisher by LaRae, a second rope Swinging Neckbreaker!  Nikki is without her mask postmatch!  Sami Zayne!  AJ Styles!  Will Styles wrestle heel since Sami is the favorite son in Canada?  AJ Styles is top FIVE in the world and I go weeks without thinking about him.  Zayne is going completely El Generico on offense.  I await a Blue Thunder Bomb.  AJ Styles is so fucking good.  Okada, Jay White, Bryan Danielson, GUNTHER, AJ Styles.  Top ten if you factor in women wrestlers.  Saya Kamitani, Takumi Iroha, Chihiro Hashimoto and Mio Momono are at AJ's level.  Maybe ASUKA, SLK, Giulia and Utami Hayashishita are there.  Blue Thunder Bomb!  Hey, that was a convoluted Falcon Arrow.   Hmmmm.  I wonder if El Lindaman and El Bandido are at AJ Styles' level?  They are close.  All of these can have epic matches.  Sami Zayne is the Orange Cassidy of the WWE- a secret super worker who hides it under a really over gimmick.  Zayne, like Cassidy,  should put over legit straight wrestlers.  UNLESS Solo Sikoa Urinagis him on the apron!  That was good!  Matt Riddle takes on Damien Priest!   Riddle is a great tagteam wrestler.  In singles matches, the psychology is wonky.  Will Priest do the Elvis Sell this week?  One can only hope.  Priest beats the crap out of Riddle!  Priest CRUSHES Riddle's back on the barricade.  Edmonton is the crappiest crowd in Canada, as they don;t really get behind Riddle's STRUGGLE to escape the horrendous ass beating from Priest.  They do pop for his crazy Asai Moonsault.  Priest busts up Riddle's ribs.  SUPERPLEX by Riddle as we return from a commercial.  Fun nearfall on Riddle's Not A Tombstone.  Another fun nearfall on the INVERTED Urinagi by Priest!  Riddle ROLLS HIM UP FOR THE PIN!  That was fun!  Postmatch, they beat the crap out of Matt Riddle.  Edge makes the save!  At least he doesn't talk for twenty minutes!  Well, that was a great episode of RAW.  

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Matt D said:

WWE is having great success tapping into the QAnon Conspiracy Theory craze.

are you saying that I shouldn't drive to Dealey Plaza to wait for Bray Wyatt to return

now the most unnecessary swerve possible would involve the White Rabbit being Bo Dallas, if it's possible to lure a guy away from living on a farm with Liv Morgan

Sorry I'm late.  My son needed a ride to praise band, dishes, SQUEAKY CLEAN, a good episode of DARK!  It's Fallon Henley!  She is going to get beaten to death by old school heel, Mandy Rose!  Rose is awesome.  Rose is the Ric Flair of the WWE.  Rose is so great being a jerk.  Rose is the best IMPACT! KnockOut- in that she works really well in a more intimate setting.  She does lots of cool little things that would be lost in front of a RAW or SMACKDOWN crowd.  She would be GREAT in the IMPACT! Zone.  So she's the 1976 Ric Flair of the WWE.  Rose wins the V TRIGGER!  Mandy Rose is awesome.  Henley looked good.  Wes Lee takes on Tony D'Angelo!  Wes Lee is sort of  the Dante Martin of NXT, except he isn't as spectacular but he is better on the parts between highspots.  STACKS GETS KICKED OUT OF THE BUILDING!  The crowd is behind this move and so am I.  Stacks CAN GO TO HELL!  Wes Lee is good at selling an ass beating and that's what D'Angelo supplies while we are in picture in picture.  Ref stoppage is your finish.  I assume that was legit.  I love the Ode To 80s Homoerotic Tag Team Vignettes, as Pretty Deadly are the new Wild Eyed Southern Boys!  It's Amari Miller!  I don't think I've seen her before.  It's Sol Ruca!  It's her debut.  Ruca is very athletic.  Miller is walking her through this.  That was perfectly fine for a debut.  It's Cameron Grimes!  It's Joe Gacy!   Grimes is a 14 year veteran.  Gacy is a 16 year veteran.  I don;t know how much more developing you can do with these two but this match should be good.  And this is good but really brief.  I totally forgot that Carter and Chance were tag champions.  Nikita Lyons!  They both SHOWBOAT their BUTTS!  Teenage boys across this great land of ours sprint to their bedrooms.  This is good.  Oh, I had also forgotten that Lyons and Zoey Stark are a tag team.  Nice Michinoku Driver by Lyons.  This match is great.  Lyons wins with a Spinning Crescent Kick!  And a Christy Hemme Fire Crotch!  I dug that.  It's Xyon Quinn!  He gets to get beaten the fuck up by Ilja Dragunov!  Ilja is selling a lot for Quinn.  THEN he beats the crud out of him.  That was good.  Awesome!  It's Brutus Creed taking on Damon Kemp!  I assume this will be Scott Steiner versus a different Scott Steiner.  I love this match.  It's weird.  It's like a high school wrestling match but with EXTREME RULES!  Kemp's awesome CRAVATE~! is fucking beautiful.  Brutus powers out!  CRAZY POUNCE to drive Kemp into the ropes all awkward!  Kemp responds by beating on Brutus with a chair!  Kemp is a HEAT MACHINE!  It's Briggs and Jenson!  It's Wolfgang and another guy!  According to cagematch.net, that's Mark Coffey.  I'll get Gallus straight soon enough.  Wolfgang has the best hair in the WWE.  NEEDS BLOOD!  There was blood last night on RAW!  WE WANT BLOOD!  This is fun.  Gallus are awesome.  I LOVED the knee to the face through the chair.  BEATING MEN WITH THEIR OWN BELTS!  NOW BEATING YOUR OPPONENTS WITH YOUR OWN BELTS!  Joe Coffey goes the table.  Wolfgang goes through the other table!  Mark receives a Total Elimination (sorta) with a trashcan over his head and Briggs and Jenson get the win!  That was good.  If you are breaking pint glasses over folks' head, you REALLY need blood.  HHH.  TAKE A STEP BACK!   That was a good episode.  

• Like 1

Dug most of the Raw matches.

Mandy/Fallon was solid-good and probably Fallon's best match in NXT so far. Mandy has improved so much the last year in NXT. I really do want to see her get another shot on main roaster once she drops the belt.

Loved the video for Pretty Deadly. So damn perfect for their characters.

Ruca/Miller was interesting. It was almost painfully obvious how much Miller was leading Ruca with Miller going about  third speed tp make sure nothing was majorly screwed up. Ruca is athletic, but she clearly isn't ready. Felt sorry for Miller with that being her return match. She isn't great or quite the athlete Ruca is, but she is still pretty darn athletic in her own right and was the one who deserved some shine.

Grimes/Gacy was short but good.

Dug Lyons/Carter. They played to their strengths well while giving a bit of personality. Dug how even Carter managed to keep things with her speed and that best I can recall Lyons looking in finishing off an opponent.

What I caught of Ilja/Quin was solid though I'm still confused by whatever the hell Ilja's finish is supped to be. 

Brutus/Kemp started off awesome then went into a headlock sequence that went to long for a match that was going to end the way it did. Still dug the chair attack and am so looking forward to Julius/Kemp. Kind of hoping they get the Fight Pit.

Briggs/Jensen vs. Gallus was a fun plunder match. Curious to see where things go with Gallus. I'm kind of digging how out of control they are.

Lots of quality wrestling on the flagship Monday broadcast. And lots of BLAH to skim passed. The opening provided both. Dug that Io-Belair battle. Then more ffwding passed a totally unwanted Seth Rollins promo, but that brings us to Rollins v Mysterio! Two weeks in a row Rollins banging it inside the ring. I love ol man Mysterio. Dominik saunters out for pure viewing satisfaction. Rhea Ripley is truly the 'one'! What a star! One terrific bout after another with Gargano and Owens battling Gable and Otis. Odd Owens v Sign pre-match brawl. I wasn't entirely sure about this Otis, but he's proved himself to be a studhorse in there! I'm not crying about it, but few 'superstars' feel as magnetic and captivating as Gable. Seeing as they don't have a lot of those level performers right now it would make sense to strap a rocket to his ass, no? Or squash him to possibly my least favorite WWE performer Braun Strowman? Take your pick. Skimmed passed Omos. I dig this Candice LeRae just fine, but is Nikki ASH secretly awesome? I really like how she moves around in there. I also like how Sami and AJ move around in there. Obviously those two are gonna have an excellent bout. Apple Juice Styles rocking the pencil thin John Waters moo-stash is an interesting choice. AJ's a weird dude, huh? I was burning out by this point, but dug what I saw of Riddle-Priest. I wanna like old man Edge, but I really don't. Maybe there's time yet. I am thankful not to have heard him talk for 20 minutes. I still can't imagine ever watching this show live, but no complaints I'm thankful for my streamlined Tuesday afternoon Raw.

1 hour ago, blitzkrieg said:

ilja-dragunov-ilja.gif

So basically just a running leaping headbutt.

I can never tell if its a headbutt or european uppercut. I'll just go with headbutt since Biff/Oney does such an awesome running uppercut that no one really compares to.

WWE and Hulu deal extended and expires on this Friday now.

The show known as The Bump may change too. Goldberg who appeared on the bump seemed to suggest that he will become a manager in his own way of wording. He has no matches left on his contract.

Sasha Banks changed her twitter name handle, to remove WWE off it. 

22 hours ago, Eivion said:

What I caught of Ilja/Quin was solid though I'm still confused by whatever the hell Ilja's finish is supped to be. 

21 hours ago, blitzkrieg said:

ilja-dragunov-ilja.gif

So basically just a running leaping headbutt.

19 hours ago, Eivion said:

I can never tell if its a headbutt or european uppercut. I'll just go with headbutt since Biff/Oney does such an awesome running uppercut that no one really compares to.

I've never liked it. Ditto for the arm mannerisms Ilja does during his entrance.