DVDVR Message Board

DYNAMITE- 9/28/2022~!

DEAN

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

I'm hesitant to say that Saraya was a bad signing after things worked out with Sting, so we'll see. Bobby Fish and Tony Nese were bad signings. 

Nese has been fine as a low card heel that can get competitively beaten up.

Fish got signed to help get KOR and Cole signed.

I think the 'bad' signings were locking in all of Miro, Black, Andrade, Cole, Lee & Swerve with no real plans for them outside of Cole doing the "Elite vs UE" which won't happen now.

The roster is absolutely stacked which is awesome from an in ring POV but it means we end up in situations like FTR or Darby/Sting kind of... floating around... And feeling aimless.

How they haven't had FTR smash through and win the titles again,  while they hold all the gold, is beyond me.

All it takes is AAA or NJPW to say "hey we want our belts back" and you miss the opportunity.

I love that AEW has put a legit #2 option into the western/US market but Tony needs help planning this shit out so that there's clear progression for more characters and that the 'moments' actually stick rather than being lost as he goes onto the next project.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Meltzer was talking about the crowd not necessarily being too into Menard/Danielson and I'm like "no shit!  There's zero doubt of the the outcome and they're stretching what should be a 3 minute match because they have to fill time."

I think you're right on why the crowd wasn't all there, but what were they there for? That portion of the Observer recap was interesting. I think Dave's correct about these AEW TV audiences attracting more and more of what he called the WWE crowd. AEW audiences used to be, and in some cities still are, ready to elevate whatever the match is (hoping to prove that here in Toronto). All that said, the suggested idea that a Danielson match should be 3 minutes seems at odds with what Danielson likes to do (tho, Cagematch reports a couple tags sub 5) and why, in part, we all love to see him handle his business. Absolutely he should give Daddy Magic an opportunity and platform to be the 'asshole' he is. Obviously not everbody is watching the Road To promos and Menard's fantastic Elevation commentary, but seems like a year or so ago there'd be more ppl in that audience that had, and they'd be ready for the potential minor classic that is Danielson-Menard. Or just excited and ready to see Bryan murder that muthafucka. With any detours being rightfully jeered. I got a 'taste' here and I wasn't disappointed with anything. Er, well, maybe a little disappointed by the middling Philly crowd. What the fuck has happened to the wrestling fans in Philadelphia?  

• Like 4

5 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

I'm hesitant to say that Saraya was a bad signing after things worked out with Sting, so we'll see. Bobby Fish and Tony Nese were bad signings. 

Vile I don't want to argue with you but you might be conflating your dislike of Nese with him being a bad signing because I've got to disagree. He has really settled into a nice gatekeeper to the Midcard and the team with Josh Woods has definitely increased his stock. I have to agree that the first month or two of him being there though he was lost in the shuffle.

• Like 9

I'll write the thing up for Monday but the idea that it wasn't a wildly different match than a lot of Danielson's matches and a relative squash is crazy. Look at the finishing stretch. No counters, no escapes, etc. The knee, the lock. Boom, boom.

That match just IS what a 3 minute match is for AEW. It's a ten minute match with one heat segment instead of a fifteen or twenty minute match with a few back and forths. Menard got his best advantage due to cheating and the second Claudio took out Parker, it was basically over. You need hierarchy matches sometimes to get over a program and to keep over a wrestler's finishers and dominance instead of having nearly equal matches all the time. I'm way more interested in seeing Danielson vs Parker than seeing Danielson vs Jericho III. If you're not going to run with him as champion, what's the point of Bryan Danielson if it's not seeing him wrestle guys like Angelico?

Granted, I'm more and more coming to the opinion that Danielson may not be the best guy in the world at working his opponents strengths into his match unless they're something high octane that he really wants to engage with. I sometimes wonder if he's not just so into the thrill of wrestling at a high pace and adrenaline level that he doesn't leave some great things on the cutting room floor. But maybe more on that Monday.

EDIT: Basically, 2022 Danielson will bring out the very best of a certain sort of wrestler that is within you, but maybe that's not the most interesting wrestler you could be overall.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HarryArchieGus said:

What the fuck has happened to the wrestling fans in Philadelphia?  

Eh, they got into the women's match and got MOLTEN for Jericho/Bandido.  

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, DEAN said:

Eh, they got into the women's match and got MOLTEN for Jericho/Bandido.  

That's fair. Certainly not what I would call the 'drizzling shits', but I used to look forward to Philly on the schedule assuming 'Extreme' heat. Clearly, my mistake. And admittedly I do sometimes lower the volume so much so to avoid hearing the commentary. 

• Like 1

I don't want to pile on...but I will. That whole women's segment reeked of a Vince McMahon-booked women's segment. From the dreadful, rambly Paige promo (I don't remember how to spell her new/real name) to the stupid all the face/heels are suddenly friends. Like, there was no reason for Penelope Ford to be there, she's not a part of Britt's entourage, so for her to randomly come out with Britt to conveniently be one of the lumberjacks is one of my pet peeves of WWE (Especially the Vince booked stuff) where people with no association, suddenly are friends to counter the faces. Then during the match you had Willow chase Hayter off and Hayter run like the "proverbial scalded dog" (TM JR) which shows that not only are they not really listening to the fans opinion of Hayter, but a complete lack of understanding of her character. When has Hayter been a weak heel that runs away from a fight?! Also, Paige on commentary but cheering when Toni won the match like they were best buddies was awful. I hated this more than anything AEW has done in a looooong time.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, caley said:

of Britt's entourage, so for her to randomly come out with Britt to conveniently be one of the lumberjacks is one of my pet peeves of WWE (Especially the Vince booked stuff) where people with no association, suddenly are friends to counter the faces.

I can get behind that, that pairing had some real "Survivor Series is the only time all year Raw and Smackdown go head to head!" energy - which sucks because I've found Penelope/Kip's new direction to be pretty cool so far, she deserved more in that segment than to be basically playing the role of "Heel #4." Essentially the same thing I said yesterday about Toni looking crappy for coming out with everyone else, just marginally less bad because Penelope isn't yet the frickin' World's Champion.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, elizium said:

Apropos of nothing, I love Penelope's over the top eye shadow, it makes her look like a zombie with empty eye sockets

I don't know why they don't put her back with the Bunny and reform a creepy/hot goth girl tag team. I think it brought out the best in both of them. Give them just enough wins to keep them competitive, then have them try to team up to steal Toni's title, even Jade's.

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, caley said:

I don't know why they don't put her back with the Bunny and reform a creepy/hot goth girl tag team. I think it brought out the best in both of them. Give them just enough wins to keep them competitive, then have them try to team up to steal Toni's title, even Jade's.

Bunny’s been hurt the whole time that Penelope has been back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I can get behind that, that pairing had some real "Survivor Series is the only time all year Raw and Smackdown go head to head!" energy - which sucks because I've found Penelope/Kip's new direction to be pretty cool so far, she deserved more in that segment than to be basically playing the role of "Heel #4." Essentially the same thing I said yesterday about Toni looking crappy for coming out with everyone else, just marginally less bad because Penelope isn't yet the frickin' World's Champion.

Speaking of Penelope, I just watched her title match with Shida from Fyter Fest'20 last night and she was showing signs of significant improvement even at that point!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

It truly is, but I'll be the contrarian and give the Philly crowd a compliment here, because they totally saved it with the "Shit! Shit! Shit!" chants

Not to mention Jaime Hayter making the save with her incredulous "BRITT. BAKER. ....it doesn't rhyme with 'shit'!!!".

• Haha 1

Wait, the pizza man that got kicked is part of Chris' entourage now? Who is he and... well, WHY is he? 

I can definitely see a film involving Ben Stiller to be at the height of Chris' personal comic interest. 

EDIT: Not that there's anything wrong with Stiller, go watch Permanent Midnight sometime.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Wait, the pizza man that got kicked is part of Chris' entourage now? Who is he and... well, WHY is he? 

I can definitely see a film involving Ben Stiller to be at the height of Chris' personal comic interest. 

EDIT: Not that there's anything wrong with Stiller, go watch Permanent Midnight sometime.

Absolutely! There's two simultaneous Stiller runs going on through most of his career. The Springsteen sketches from his early Fox show being amongst the highlights on the comedy side. I didn't get from that segment that Pizzamaker Luigi Primo is around for the long haul. But I love the idea that he is!

• Like 2

On 9/30/2022 at 1:21 AM, L_W_P said:

Nese has been fine as a low card heel that can get competitively beaten up.

Fish got signed to help get KOR and Cole signed.

I think the 'bad' signings were locking in all of Miro, Black, Andrade, Cole, Lee & Swerve with no real plans for them outside of Cole doing the "Elite vs UE" which won't happen now.

The roster is absolutely stacked which is awesome from an in ring POV but it means we end up in situations like FTR or Darby/Sting kind of... floating around... And feeling aimless.

How they haven't had FTR smash through and win the titles again,  while they hold all the gold, is beyond me.

All it takes is AAA or NJPW to say "hey we want our belts back" and you miss the opportunity.

I love that AEW has put a legit #2 option into the western/US market but Tony needs help planning this shit out so that there's clear progression for more characters and that the 'moments' actually stick rather than being lost as he goes onto the next project.

That makes no sense. Cole signed with AEW before Fish and O'Reilly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1