DVDVR Message Board

DYNAMITE- 9/28/2022~!

DEAN

15 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

That makes no sense. Cole signed with AEW before Fish and O'Reilly.

Oh?

I must have the timing backwards. For some reason I though Fish was doing his low key thing before Cole turned up.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Luigi & Danhausen have to get something going, surely?

Luigi spends weeks/months of Dark episodes perfecting the master pie. After countless failures and the entire taste-testing Dark roster spitting that shit out one by one each week, the eventual final result is so impressive that it even makes Hook crack. Shortly thereafter, Danhausen curses Primo and the pizza reverts back to Famiglia. Complete with the Sid-on-crushed-car noooooo to cap it. This tracks.

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

That makes no sense. Cole signed with AEW before Fish and O'Reilly.

Fish was on TV solo for a few weeks before Cole showed up, so if Cole signed first then Tony kept him off TV for All Out

Edit: Nevermind Bobby Fish debuted October 8th and Cole September 26th. Some kinda Mandella effect 

Edited by Sammo~!

I know y'all are all just dying for this, so here are my belated thoughts on Dynamite;

I dug the JAS segment, but I thought it went a bit too long, as Jericho segments usually do. I don't get the appeal of the pizza guy. Is he like a Danhausen type indy darling or something? Jericho got the gifts he bought Garcia and the one he bought Rob Gronkowski mixed up. I like to imagine somewhere right now Gronk is wearing a purple Kangol to some charity event for German Shepherds with Tourette's or whatever screwy charity retired NFL players get involved in. 

I dug the little match with Danielson and Menard, but count me in on the "Danielson is 1000% getting Sting'd next week." It furthers a lot of storylines. Danielson is as effortlessly gifted in the ring as Mox is on promos. The BCC is carrying AEW at the moment.

I think MJF has toned down the edgelording in his promos by a fair amount. It just feels like he repeats a lot of the same shit. He probably doesn't need an interview every week. I am blown away by how much more comfortable Wheeler Yuta has gotten in his promos. He still doesn't sound super intimidating, but a lot of that is his voice, I think. I am a Wheeler Yuta guy, and it stinks that he will probably eat a pinfall next week. This is a good, high profile moment for him, however. He's on my short list of All Atlantic Title holders in the next year. 

I understand Jon Moxley wanting to work with his boy. I like Juice Robinson, and it's entirely possible that the available talent made this match a necessity. I'm just not sure how smart it is to give an unsigned talent a high profile spot like this when you've got contracted talent grumbling about lack of opportunity. I thought Juice did a good job, though. He's solid. Like if Tony Nese were visually interesting in the slightest. Hangman coming out postmatch to get in Mox's face was awesome. They're gonna have an absolute belter in a couple weeks.

MJF begins to cut a second promo before Yutes beats his scarved ass in the luxury box. Yuta is on the short list for "best babyface fire" in the company. He really does feel like a throwback in a lot of ways. I think he, Jungle Boy, and Danielson fire up on heels better than anyone in wrestling. Yuta has that whole "build the Dallas territory around him" energy and I dig it. 

This women's segment was... uninspiring? Frustrating? Disjointed? I'm not sure I understood the objective. The match itself was fine, but Saraya should probably get some assistance as to how to focus her promos. She gives AEW's women a lot of credibility by being there, and I think she'll wind up being a net positive, she just probably shouldn't get too much time to talk without an opponent to promo on. Jamie Hayter is OVER. Philly woke the hell up for her. 

Storm/Deeb was really good. Lots of Serena Deeb lately. Never a bad thing. 

The Acclaimed are so awesome. It's a shame that this came at the expense of Swerve and Keif Lee, but it feels important at this stage of the company's development to get belts on some homegrown acts. Also the Acclaimed rule.

Ricky Starks getting tv time is good. Squashes are a good thing when used like this. Time for him to climb the ladder. 

This main event was really something. I hadn't seen much Bandido before last night, and after this performance I'm gonna go seek out more from him. That's only happened a few other times to me as an adult. I wanted more of Andrade after that banger with Johnny Gargano, I wanted to see more of WALTER after that 8 man vs. UE, and I looked up more War Machine after they got to nXt. I'm dedicating some time this week to track down some Bandido. Any recommendations?

This show felt a bit scattershot, but after the solid month of shows since All Out I'm willing to write this week off to the hurricane. TK has GOT to figure out how to get Miro, FTR, Andrade, and Wardlow on tv more. Having more talent than you have TV time for is a good problem to have, but it's a problem nonetheless. I thought from top to bottom this was a great week of AEW programming. 

• Like 7

You should definitely check out Bandido vs Mike Bailey from Mania weekend, I think the Wrestlecon supershow. I'd seen a decent amount of him prior to that but non of his ROH run, and thought he was never less than good but severely overhyped. That match sold me on him, it was easily the second best thing of the 15 or so shows I watched that weekend, after FTR vs Briscoes. It helps that Mike Bailey rules, but Bandido seems to have put it all together. He's not doing a bunch of new stuff that I've noticed, but it's all much more coherent and builds the story of a match better now, and I'm not someone who can always put his finger on that kind of subtlety in wrestling.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Sammo~! said:

Fish was on TV solo for a few weeks before Cole showed up, so if Cole signed first then Tony kept him off TV for All Out

Edit: Nevermind Bobby Fish debuted October 8th and Cole September 26th. Some kinda Mandella effect 

No shit.  It got me too.  So when I saw that post my reaction was immediately like: “No he didn’t”.  

Oops?

• Like 2

On 9/30/2022 at 12:46 PM, hobo joe said:

People talking about an admittedly bad Paige promo being an all-time worst segment like Brandi Rhodes never happened.

So many bad Brandi promos.  The one where she explained the Nightmare Family org chart vis a vis the Nightmare Collective.  Both times she thought she was clever using the "who told you it was open mic night, bitch?" line.  Any time she code switched.  Just so awful.

On 10/1/2022 at 2:03 PM, HarryArchieGus said:

Absolutely! There's two simultaneous Stiller runs going on through most of his career. The Springsteen sketches from his early Fox show being amongst the highlights on the comedy side. I didn't get from that segment that Pizzamaker Luigi Primo is around for the long haul. But I love the idea that he is!

The Ben Stiller show and The State were my mid early to mid 90s comedy jams.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

Luigi spends weeks/months of Dark episodes perfecting the master pie. After countless failures and the entire taste-testing Dark roster spitting that shit out one by one each week, the eventual final result is so impressive that it even makes Hook crack. Shortly thereafter, Danhausen curses Primo and the pizza reverts back to Famiglia. Complete with the Sid-on-crushed-car noooooo to cap it. This tracks.

You secretly write for Impact don't you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Brandon Bones said:

No shit.  It got me too.  So when I saw that post my reaction was immediately like: “No he didn’t”.  

Oops?

WTF? I could swear Fish was on TV before Cole. My brain is broken.

• Like 3

On 9/26/2022 at 11:35 PM, Greggulator said:

I have a ticket for Dynamite. I am really excited. I remember Juice from his annoying environmentalist gimmick from early NXT and say a few of his banger promos in New Japan. Bandito I have no idea about other then that is a pretty dope name. 

Your reporting on this experience has been terribly lax, old pal.

28 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Your reporting on this experience has been terribly lax, old pal.

Ended up not going. My friends I was going to go with had a family tragedy that day. 

I know you saw my Facebook posts but I was also seriously bummed out (and still am) from the mass shooting at the high school in my neighborhood. Was thinking of cancelling myself but then my friends had really bad news.

Hopefully next time.

• Sad 6

8 hours ago, just drew said:

I dug the JAS segment, but I thought it went a bit too long, as Jericho segments usually do. I don't get the appeal of the pizza guy. Is he like a Danhausen type indy darling or something? 

Remember when the penis-plex went viral? same kinda deal a couple of weeks ago he was all over facebook

• Like 1