DVDVR Message Board

DYNAMITE- 9/28/2022~!

DEAN

I don't like that MJF's chip is now being treated like the MITB briefcase. Leave that shit in WWE.

I've never liked that MJF would mention "owning" guys on the mic during a feud. Like that Yuta went against that by pointing out that it's what happens in the ring that matters.

I was exhausted last night and kept dozing in and out during the show. I did catch most of the main. Great stuff, but I wish Bandito's awesome one-arm press slam wouldn't have just been picture-in-picture. That was impressive as hell.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Log said:

I don't like that MJF's chip is now being treated like the MITB briefcase. Leave that shit in WWE.

I've never liked that MJF would mention "owning" guys on the mic during a feud. Like that Yuta went against that by pointing out that it's what happens in the ring that matters.

I was exhausted last night and kept dozing in and out during the show. I did catch most of the main. Great stuff, but I wish Bandito's awesome one-arm press slam wouldn't have just been picture-in-picture. That was impressive as hell.

I feel like it works for MJF’s character. He’s the only person on the roster I feel like could get away with something like that…

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Log said:

10 minutes ago, just drew said:

I feel like it works for MJF’s character. He’s the only person on the roster I feel like could get away with something like that…

I don't like that change either, @Log though it fits MJF's MO, @just drew.

• Like 1

They should sign Bandido and stop bringing in NJPW gaijin. Aside from my admittedly biased view that Ospreay, Juice, Jay White and Aussie Open are all just 5 different variations on the same extremely shitty wrestler, more objectively they're also 5 different versions of a lot of guys we already have in AEW (Hangman, Cole, PAC, Jungle Boy, Lucha Bros, etc). Bandido brought a unique presence last night, and he connected with the crowd on an emotional level akin to "you are extremely likeable" as opposed to "we pop because you do contrived shit". He would fit in perfectly with the big personality guys like the Acclaimed and Darby and Dax and Ricky Starks and Orange Cassidy, the guys who are really the "heart" of the AEW midcard. 

Edited by Belgian_Waffle
  • Like 4

I know some people don't want WWE-esque stuff in their AEW, but honestly, that opening segment was both pretty funny and really rocked. I mean, I'm not thrilled with the rote format of opening talking segment leading to a match since it feels like that happened on EVERY Raw or SD, but in this case I'll give it a pass because of how well everyone worked their asses off. Daniel Garcia is a total MVP. If you're re-doing the 4 pillars, it's easily MJF, Garcia, Yuta, and Darby now. Given Darby's propensity to try to kill himself in every match, I may want to sub him out for Starks or someone else. But anyway, Garcia was fucking awesome in that segment. Jericho was awesome. Matt Menard was awesome. Danielson was awesome. It was a homerun of a segment even if that format is rote as fuck. I get the meta booking of it because it's the JAS and that's how sports entertainment is done with that opening segment leading into a match, but I think that meta-ness is going to go over almost everyone's head.

And yeah, poor AmDrag is going to get himself Sting'd even though Garcia has done such an amazing job of being a face. Garcia's saving grace is that even if he's been a really good face in this angle, he's an even better scumbag heel, but this shows that when the time comes, he could be a top babyface.

ALL of this Yuta and MJF stuff is fucking awesome. A lot of Cody going after the Inner Circle vibes here. Folks, we're watching young Wheeler grow up before our very eyes and he may yet be able to be the second coming of Shibata. We all know Wheeler is going to lose to MJF, but he's getting a ton of a rub here.

Mox vs Juice ruled. It's crazy that Juice spent all that time in NXT and the best they could come up for him was the heel hippy gimmick. As soon as he went to NJPW he hit the ground running and he's only gotten better. I think my main complaint with Juice, current character wise anyway, is that it's not all that different from what ELP and the rest of the BC are doing. They're all very samey. It works when you take someone out of the NJPW box and put them somewhere else because then they're unique again. Hell of a brawl between him and Mox. Again, the finish was never in doubt, although I did bite on the Pulp Friction being the finish.

The Saraya segment was bad. She seemed lost in the ring and part of me wonders if that has a lot to do with being so used to working off of a script that when she has to go out and do it on her own that she can't pull it together. It's also concerning that she definitely isn't cleared and is just a mouthpiece. Someone compared her to Steph and I don't think that's a bad comp even if Saraya did help kick off the women's revolution in WWE. It sucks, but her neck is beyond fucked and I just don't see how she could safely wrestle. Also, it being another talking segment leading to a match felt lame because they did that at the start of the first hour and in this case, everyone was pretty cringey.

That said, Deeb vs Toni brought the goods. Vicious match between the two of them and hey! A middle rope piledriver actually ended a match! That should always be a MDK spot resulting in a CRITICAL~! and in this case it did. I'm just not jazzed about building to Britt vs Toni when it's clear the fans are getting more and more behind Hayter. Again, with Kris on the shelf for a year, PUSH HAYTER TO THE MOON!

Starks looks good in winning a squash. Not much to say there.

Main event ruled. TRT Jericho off of the booze is the best Jericho. Main event promo was also intriguing. I think we're building to Danielson winning the ROH World Title, but I would love to see wild shit like Jericho vs Low Ki. That's what I want. Now watch. What we'll get is something lame like Jericho vs Taven.

One last point to make. With so many people on suspension, AEW has been pretty fucking good WWE-ish segments not withstanding. Yuta, Jungle Boy, Garcia, Hayter, Starks, and others have a huge groundswell of support right now and it feels like the early days of AEW. I like this a lot. I think the suspensions have helped Tony Khan be a better booker so he's not booking around the Bucks, Omega, Punk, etc. That's not to say that I don't want those guys back, but when they do come back, I think this experience is teaching TK how to better balance the show.

• Like 8

Two small things I liked from last night 1) Hanger's Dolly Parton shirt/embroidered jeans combo 2) When Yoots jumped MJF and was getting pulled off by security but made sure to get a last stomp in.  A real 'fuck you' move that Eddie Kingston would be proud of.

• Like 10

While we're on the subject of dream signings for AEW, I think I really just have three. Bandido, Takeshita, and Shooter. One of those is tied down in NJPW, but if he could go on excursion again, it would be awesome to see Shooter back in AEW.

• Like 6

If you’re a Chris Jericho fanboy like me.  These are great days. I honestly thought whatever platitudes I was going to post here would be blowing sunshine up everyone’s ass.  Turns out y’all are digging it too.  It’s pandalerium!!!

Bandido just got a job.  The press slam during the break was a tragedy being moments too soon however.

That Jericho continues to elevate himself in ways his contemporaries will never get the chance to.  I kinda want him to win the New Japan belt now.  

I’m with anyone who got RAW vibes from this episode.  It’s a different thing to do for the week.  I guess.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Log said:

Part of me hopes someone that MJF gets in the ring with goes into business for himself and legit breaks his jaw or knocks him out. But MJF never wrestles so that will never happen. Yuta's promo pointed out how tiring MJF is now. MJF's 'schtick' is old and has to be rubbing a lot of the wrestlers in AEW's locker room the wrong way. Eventually, fans will be like, "this guy never does anything" and change the channel.

Edited by Andrew POE!

Daniel Garcia just really hasn't found himself yet. He just sounds really uncomfortable when he talks, then he starts going on about throwing a pizza on the ground. The crowd seems forgiving of him, but I think he's someone who really needs a mouthpiece. 

The opening segment with the JAS was just really dull. It went on forever and then we ended up with just Bryan Danielson vs. Matt Menard? It felt like Garcia was finally going to to turn on the JAS, but then it constantly kept getting cut off by Jericho and Danielson. To do all that and have it end with Danielson vs. Menard was supremely anti-climactic.

Wheeler Yuta is the same way. In the ring, all the intensity is there, but he can't string words in a sentence together on a microphone at all.

I like Saraya and all, but I never thought she was especially a good interview or promo in WWE. A good character, but not a good promo. So to send her out there without a script last night did her in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brandon Bones said:

I’m with anyone who got RAW vibes from this episode.  It’s a different thing to do for the week.  I guess.

Strangely, when things r rocking on the other side I sometimes get Dynamite vibes. There was a fairly clear example recently that I’m failing to remember. Too much quality wrestling these days!!! The interview into a match is probably more accurately UWF TV vibes or ECW the way of UWF vibes. Tho, the Saraya segment definitely had a tired Vince McMahon formula feel, but I fail to see how that opening was anything but fantastic! Ange, Menard, Anna, Jericho and Garcia all delivered on the goods. Danielson too. I liked that Bryan made clear he was granted the opportunity to have a match with whomever he wanted rather than it be a given that you can just start a match on the fly.

Speaking of WWE style, I’m very much on team ‘don’t like the chip being used as a money in the bank briefcase’. Seems too obvious a rip. And in general not at all a fan of random title shots whenever policies.

Also, I saw that Saraya is owning the failure of that segment saying she was ‘rusty’. Refreshing to see somebody own up to their mistakes. Tho, the booking was equally as problematic if not worse.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

Most other realistically available ex-ROH champs are either heel (Rush, Lethal), hurt (Cole, O'Reilly), or should not be losing to Jericho right now (Joe). There's a chance Jericho might want to work with PCO as a battle of Canadian old dudes, and Homicide + Daniels are feasible. Obviously nobody on Earth wants Jericho vs. Matt Taven. Jay Briscoe would be cool but you have to believe the rumor that he's banned from Turner at this point.

Dalton Castle was like the most over dude in the Battle Royal @ Grand Slampage, it's a no-brainer.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Most other realistically available ex-ROH champs are either heel (Rush, Lethal), hurt (Cole, O'Reilly), or should not be losing to Jericho right now (Joe). There's a chance Jericho might want to work with PCO as a battle of Canadian old dudes, and Homicide + Daniels are feasible. Obviously nobody on Earth wants Jericho vs. Matt Taven. Jay Briscoe would be cool but you have to believe the rumor that he's banned from Turner at this point.

Dalton Castle was like the most over dude in the Battle Royal @ Grand Slampage, it's a no-brainer.

Jerry Lynn's gotta have one more match in him, right?

• Like 3