DVDVR Message Board

DYNAMITE- 9/28/2022~!

DEAN

7 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Racking mine:

Dark Order's debut on AEW Dynamite.

Rhodes/Ogogo weigh in.

Saraya's promo.

I remember Lio Rush having a segment that would qualify for prize competition. To be clear, what was the Dark Order's debut on AEW Dynamite? Glorious Rhodes/Ogogo weigh in. Both Brandi and Cody have a couple or 6 more candidates each. 'It's a Girl!' comes to mind. And jeez that Nightmare Collective was quite a unit! Perhaps I stand alone in liking the Brandi-Lambert segments. They were incredibly awkward, but also thrilling! 

• Like 1

She cut the same promo that every person to ever leave WWE has cut for the past 20 years, and it was easily both the worst delivered version of it, and also the least valid version given her circumstances with her neck injury. 

"Your name rhymes with shit" also reminded there's several segments where Jericho tried to spam failed catchphrases into getting over - there's a few GFY segments that I'd like back.

• Like 1

@DogI believe the question was worst segment not best.

Looks like the poker chip is the MITB briefcase with the same cash in rule

I hope Ex/Tony/Mr. Maniac line up sticks for Dynamite they've settled nicely into their respective lanes Man in the Mask is Lead Announcer PBP, Tony as David Crockett 2.0 isn't wrestling just wonderful color man, and Taz is excellent as the new Professor Mike Tenay Analyst. If we have to deal with JR he's better suited for Rampage where at least Jericho has figured out how to play off him and his olde timey wrastlin references 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I actually liked this show having a different feel/vibe to it with a bit more emphasis on talk segments even if they weren't all necessarily great. I expected a more different feel if there were a lot of people unable to travel but it didn't seem like too many regulars were missing overall.  Thought the opening segment was excellent and did a great job progressing Garcia's story/turn with a hot crowd for it. 

Loved Yuta's promo segment and his increasing intensity throughout as he continues to improve. "Leave you in a pool of blood on broad street" was great. Thought it ended kinda flat but then got REALLY awesome when Yuta came back in the skybox. Badass moment that reminded me a little of Cody busting in to Jericho's skybox back in the early Dynamite days. 

I hope Saraya eventually ends up able to wrestle. Was never really fan of the Smackdown GM days and this was very reminiscent of that.  The Serena/Toni match though absolutely delivered good stuff. Super driver finish was KILLER. Almost couldn't believe Serena was taking that, especially right after the regular Storm Zero and the hip attack. 

Bandido/Jericho was really epic! So many great spots, especially from Bandido, with the amazing vertical suplex and the apron rana. Obviously Jericho couldn't lose his first defense but I was still totally ready to buy the 21plex as a finish, awesome near fall. The mask pull continues to be the downfall of the luchadores in AEW. Perfect start to Jerichos' ROH reign and am here for Jericho vs. all former ROH champs.... I'd be down for Jericho/Aries still.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just want to give a shout to Jericho here. What a performer, man. Is he kind of a dope? Sure. Do the Judas Effect or the Codebreaker look very good? No. But man, he knows how to lay out a match, and he’s such a good heel. I think he has a Top 5 All Time career, and it’s really fun to see him have his Ric Flair in WWE run, only better. I will always resist calls for less Jericho. He shouldn’t be The Guy anymore, but he’s so good in whatever you put him in and he’s really nailing the elder statesman part of his career.

Everything else was pretty eh. They can’t all be winners.

Edited by The Idiot King
typo
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

I can only assume Saraya was some kind of Bull Nakano-esque superworker because her mic work stinks on ice. 

Decent personality as heel but better in the ring as a face. Was never especially good in either category, just average-solid. Kind of always thought people rated her highly more because she was a second gen female wrestler coming up from the indies. People tended to rate indy women higher than WWE divas regardless of how good or bad they were back then. Nattie got similar love initially only for people to eventually realize she was kind of mediocre though she has been generally solid the past few years. Saraya never overstayed her welcome like Nattie due to injury so she was less exposed when the NXT horsewomen and Asuka came up.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 2

I actually didn't hate Saraya's promo although I kind of anticipated being in the minority on that front. I think it was pretty evident from the whole layout of the show that they are experimenting with longer talking segments and more specifically trying to use Saraya's arrival as a way of re-presenting the women's division as something more organized/purposeful and maybe get it out of the slump it's always been in. The crowd didn't shit on Saraya's promo so I think she's got enough goodwill right now to keep going in this role of rallying the babyfaces against Baker and the heels but...I mean, I also fully acknowledge the awkwardness and mediocre delivery of a lot of the segment.

It did make room on TV for people who don't usually get TV time like Ford, Blue and Nightengale, and it was the first time ever I can recall a long talking segment leading directly into a women's match. So both of those aspects I would call positives --- shaping a "bigger picture" of the women's division outside of the 3 or 4 biggest names and also doing more promos so as to have fewer cold women's matches. I think if they keep going with this direction (more women on tv, more women having longer live talking segments), but also keep doing a lot of necessary tweaking along the way, it could really help. But if it turns into an excuse to let Saraya talk a lot because she isn't cleared to wrestle and nobody gets over because of it then yeah it's a problem. 

FWIW I thought Baker had more snafus than Saraya during the segment. She got flustered during the Hayter chant and ad libbed the dumb line about Hayter coming for the title next week which gave away the finish (not that anyone really thought Deeb was winning). 

Also since we're ranking worst segments, I want to go in a different direction and suggest that Juice Robinson has the second "worst face" in wrestling, only after Baron Corbin and slightly before Kyle O'Reilly. 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

Also since we're ranking worst segments, I want to go in a different direction and suggest that Juice Robinson has the second "worst face" in wrestling, only after Baron Corbin and slightly before Kyle O'Reilly. 

Never seen the guy before tonight but yeah... Scrawn Strowman.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Zimbra said:

I can only assume Saraya was some kind of Bull Nakano-esque superworker because her mic work stinks on ice. 

Bull Nakano-esque at least 

Spoiler

7729698_orig.jpg?345

tumblr_n62wfzuDsf1ryji3io1_500.png

Random thoughts watching the show:

That crowd noise for Garcia asking about being in a tag with Danielson was nuts. 

Daddy Magic yelling "You turned our back on us!" is my new "kicked your leg out of your leg" Daddy Magic rules. 

Yuta is a grown ass man.

Chris Jericho: I'm from Winnipeg you idiot!

Also Chris Jericho: My home country of Toronto.

• Like 6

Good show tonight. I liked the opening segment with that JAS. Loved that Garcia finally snapped and went sports entertainment crazy. Poor Luigi though. He just wanted to make a pizza.

It led to a fun little Bryan vs. Daddy Magic match. I do love Daddy Magic and his I'm gonna burst an aneurism promo style. Bryan is just so much fun when he's just beating people up.

The Saraya promo wasnt that bad. At least in my view. It's a given anyone coming from the WWE has to do the "oh I'm free from such an evil boss" promo. I just want to know is she supposed to wrestle or what. I would assume if she can wrestle, a Sting schedule of a match every now and then would be best. Though I don't think she'll be jumping off bleachers and stuff like crazy old man Sting. But yeah, I didn't think it was bad as others.

It led to a good Toni Storm/Serena Deeb match. I guess on the fly it became a lumberjack match. I'd like to see Storm and Deeb feud some more. That second rope piledriver was sick.

Mox vs. Juice was all right. Standard Moxley match at this point. I liked the prematch hype video that made Juice at least seem like a threat.

I laughed at The Acclaimed promo backstage. There's gonna be a lot of confiscated scissors next week at the metal detectors to get into the building.

Loved Wheeler showing up at MJF's box and pummeling him. I agree with him being like Piper in 81 right now. I can't imagine him ever seeing the light and turning face though. If he did it would put the Ole Anderson heel turn to shame because you know it would be a giant trick on his part.

Bandido vs. Jericho was an amazing match. Jericho in his Ring of Honor mode is going to be so fun with him wrestling mostly honorable only to cheat at the end. Bandido is very good though. That stalling suplex was awesome along with that moonsalt fall away slam. But like I said, Jericho cheats to win. Can't wait to see what other former ROH Champions they can get.

• Like 6

That Saraya promo just killlllllled the crowd. Was she seriously trying to pull a Steph and say she's responsible for (the/a) women's revolution? Pure comedic gold. I didn't care for her before and now it's just worse.

Ring of Jericho is absolutely my new favorite thing! I'm all-for him smashing everything relating to ROH's past (I like Tony's version so far, I couldn't stand the indy version). Someone mentioned that for the most part, most of their past champions are either already signed by AEW or are free agents. I chuckled when then neglected to mention one very specific one, it would be a good match but I doubt it'll happen because of the brawl.

Edited by The Green Meanie
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, The Green Meanie said:

That Saraya promo just killlllllled the crowd. Was she seriously trying to pull a Steph and say she's responsible for (the/a) women's revolution? Pure comedic gold. I didn't care for her before and now it's just worse.

I mean, Paige/Emma at Arrival is what got a lot of attention on the NXT women back then. It’s kind of hard to argue that isn’t the starting point of people in WWE starting to take notice.

• Like 9

22 minutes ago, Casey said:

I mean, Paige/Emma at Arrival is what got a lot of attention on the NXT women back then. It’s kind of hard to argue that isn’t the starting point of people in WWE starting to take notice.

That’s true and that’s definitely what they’re leaning on, but with an otherwise pretty short/spotty in-ring career, it is a little weird to have her “start a revolution” on a roster that has Toni, Riho, Shida, Deeb, Willow and a lot more who are already working in an arena so far beyond Jillian Hall and the Bellas. I don’t think it’s a bad signing, necessarily, but her role is undefined at best.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Casey said:

As someone who didn't watch the developmental version of NXT, I have no knowledge of this. Will most people watching AEW know what she's referring to? I doubt it.

9 minutes ago, The Idiot King said:

I don’t think it’s a bad signing, necessarily, but her role is undefined at best.

It's pretty obvious by her actions (body language, etc.) that she's still not medically cleared, so.....pseudo-authority figure I guess? I don't think she's needed and her bad reputation may do more harm then help.

Toni/Serena delivered just like I knew it would. Just good stuff. And I agree that it was cool that it gave women like Willow and Madison something to do.

I feel like AEW doesn't quite know what they have in Saraya. Hence the promo. But I'm just glad to see her active and making a living in the business she loves lol 

Edited by Jamal
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Eivion said:

Decent personality as heel but better in the ring as a face. Was never especially good in either category, just average-solid. Kind of always thought people rated her highly more because she was a second gen female wrestler coming up from the indies. People tended to rate indy women higher than WWE divas regardless of how good or bad they were back then. Nattie got similar love initially only for people to eventually realize she was kind of mediocre though she has been generally solid the past few years. Saraya never overstayed her welcome like Nattie due to injury so she was less exposed when the NXT horsewomen and Asuka came up.

She was also a pale, raven haired kid, in a locker room full of tan, blonde, fitness models.

The NXT crowd ADORED her and that probably saw her get a push up the card and onto the main roster waaaay ahead of time.

Put her in NXT during the Bayley-Asuka-Baszler run and she's lost in the shuffle.

• Like 2

In Starks' semi-final squash, he did a big "I'm stronger than I look, here is a big power move!" spot. And then in the next match Bandido did TWO of those spots, both of which were better than Starks' one. And the one-armed Press Slam was hidden in PinP even!

It's a good job the main event was such a good match, because the show was dying on it's arse up until that point. It was like watching Smackdown or something. 20 minute opening promo and all.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AxB said:

It's a good job the main event was such a good match, because the show was dying on it's arse up until that point. It was like watching Smackdown or something. 20 minute opening promo and all.

That women's segment was definitely "like watching Smackdown or something."

So Danielson is totally walking into a Sting/Arn/Flair 1995 situation next week, right? Like he’s about to get beat down for 10 minutes and make a hot tag to Garcia who blows the roof off the joint just before dropping Danielson like a sack of shit and twisting the dude up like a pretzel to set up the Jericho dub the following week.

Also next week: Brutus The Barber Beefcake and his shears are totally eating a mic drop

• Like 7
  • Haha 1