DVDVR Message Board

Grand Slam II - Rampage - 9/23/2022

Dolfan in NYC

Am I late for the Hoss worship or Action Bronson? He really impressed like if he wanted to work indy shows I'd be okay with that.

Is Julia Hart Alive? It looked like her head hit the concrete?

Jungle Boy has awesome physical charisma. Its kinda a shame how this Christian feud has exposed his lack of anyother form of charisma

I assume that Kriss Strat was the plan for Jade but now she's just spinning her wheels.

JAKE HAGER IS MAD AS A WET HEN!!!

Ricky Starks vs Monstar Hobbs.

Okay both these guys look like stars, NO HONOR IN A LOW BLOW BUT THIS IS LIGHTS OUT.

Starks uses Chevoks table to set up for the win!

Fun two hours, split it into two evenings after the Sabaton/Rammstein concerts cause thats what the DVR record it as, two ceperat shows 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Casey said:

I’m a Hangman fan, but probably a bigger Punk fan. I was definitely being pulled in two directions with that title match at Double or Nothing, but like I’ve said before - it was a situation where you either put it on Punk now, or lose the chance to do it, because most likely he won’t be around for a long time (obviously this was pre-Gripebomb).

Oh sure, looking at the big picture I can easily see why they thought putting the title on Punk was the right move. It just didn't do Hangman any favours.

13 hours ago, kafkonia said:

I'd argue that running two defenses against Cole was the first sign he was in limbo[1], since there was no real reason for the rematch, especially in a company that generally runs fewer rematches than the WWE. Although at that point the writing may have been on the wall about him dropping the belt.

Well, maybe. Cole bores the Hell out of me, but he does seem to be inexplicably over with the crowds, so I can see why they'd put him in a title match. The second title match was pretty weird, though, so yeah, I could see it as evidence that they already weren't sure what to do with Hangman at that point.

• Like 1

Goth Phase vs HoB was a phenomenal brawl marked by 3 nasty bad bumps and an all time mark out moment ending.

Action Hook vs. The Cool Daddies was better than I expected, Menard and Parker did great work shepherding that match. Hook sold well. They used Bronson wisely, giving him simple fat guy offense without having him try to sell any moves.

I think WarJoe vs Abs and Woods was next? The Woods parts were the best. Nese was fine in his “dude who is going to take a beating and eat the pin” role, that’s the only place I want to see him. Wardlow-Woods is a match I want to see.

Kingston didn’t quite lay in the all-time hellacious beating that I wanted to see, but the ending was good. Agreed with whoever said that Tay is a great heel when she once was such a natural baby face.

Jade matches are a waste of time at this point. Please tell me they’re not just going to keep her streak against randos going until Stat returns.

Jungle Boy is a very good wrestler in a company full of great to all time great wrestlers. They’re working hard to get rid of that moniker and use his real name, which might help him grow as a character, I don’t know. Fenix is always going to sell hard and do some crazy shit. The crowd loves Jack Perry, I don’t, and that’s ok.

Battle Royal was fine, some nice touches with the Boys and Satnam, establishing some new rivalries, tying up some old stories, some comedy moments. Rush and Mox had a good match, I like Rush. I like Page too, and that will also be a good match, but it’s probably not who I would’ve picked.

Starks took some nasty bumps, but when you open with a wild No DQ match, closing with an unsanctioned match like that is a bit of a let-down. The most impressive part was how effortlessly Starks had Hobbs on his shoulder for the Rochambeaux.

Next week is going to have a lot of talking. I’m going to be watching in a hotel again so won’t be able to lean on that sweet FFWD button.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I hated the last two battle royals they did for a title shot, as most of the top guys opted out of it for no reason, and kills your vibe about how what a huge opportunity for a title shot this would be, when it's just also-rans, mid card guys and an obvious winner.

This one was worse, as you literally had guys at ringside in Satnam and W Morrissey that would be credible contenders to win instead just standing around not doing much.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

I hated the last two battle royals they did for a title shot, as most of the top guys opted out of it for no reason, and kills your vibe about how what a huge opportunity for a title shot this would be, when it's just also-rans, mid card guys and an obvious winner.

This one was worse, as you literally had guys at ringside in Satnam and W Morrissey that would be credible contenders to win instead just standing around not doing much.

We engaged with this battle royal in very different ways.

• Like 2

I wasn't exactly clambering to see Singh in-ring by any stretch. It just took away from the importance of the match, the stipulation at stake, when you've got these two huge guys who could credibly win the thing, just lumbering around ringside - Morrissey in particular wasn't even interested, at least Satnam was seen to be actively trying to help Lethal win the thing. 

We've gone from the first two where they at least tried to make credible storyline explanations for why the top 10 contenders weren't in the thing, to having them walk out down the ramp and be "ehh" about it.

Can you imagine the Rumble escaping criticism when you've got the majority of your top guys avoiding a loss? In most cases - 1993/1995, that's been rightfully panned for what it is.

I agree with what you said about the little seeds planted to further everything else, which I think is going to be a positive in most cases. The bigger picture of the title continuing to be devalued by the constant vacancies/guys finding other things more important to look after is an issue.

Edited by GuerrillaMonsoon