DVDVR Message Board

Grand Slam II - Rampage - 9/23/2022

Dolfan in NYC

4 hours ago, Jiji said:

Yeah I saw a tweet from somebody in attendance regretfully sharing that many fans were walking out as Hobbs and Starks were making entrances. Not great. 

Can confirm. We were among those who left, and I was legit shocked at the amount of people who also did so. I felt absolutely terrible about it because I love both of em, but my better half and I both had work in the morning, and a long drive home ahead of us - I suspect many were in the same boat.

Again, I must stress my guilt in doing so, but, man... after an hour drive, four hours in line, and another seven plus in the building, they could have sent Hogan vs Austin to the ring and I'd have still thought about going home

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 5
  • Sad 2

11 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

I'm assuming it's not considered a spoiler but from what I've read, Starks/Hobbs went on well after midnight so if the crowd seems weak it's likely due to exhaustion. 

Yeah we were out of the building and I think almost at the ramp to the train when we heard another match was going on. I like Ricky Starks and Hobbs, but it was all ready late as hell when that battle royal started.

• Like 3

Oh man, Brodie King picks up right where he left off with Darby Allin.  I love how King is completely murdering Buddy Matthews because of Sting being elusive.  MAN!  Allin fucking CRUSHES Matthews with a Tope that hits Matthews on the apron!  JESUS!  King fucking knocks all of Allins teeth and gums out with a Lariat in picture in picture.  And then he CRUSHES him with a Fat Boy Cannonball into the corner!  Darby Allin finds a very high place to Coffin Drop off of!  A LOT OF STUFF HAPPENS!  THE GREAT MUTA!  That was a great Dragonscrew.  THE GREEN MIST!  That was fun. I'm guessing Buddy Matthews checked a few things off his bucket list with that match.  DADDY MAGIC!  COOL HAND ANGE!  It's Hook and Action Bronson.  I just realized that Hook is the Barry Windham to TAZ's BlackJack Mulligan.  Hook is a natural in the ring and his father was a legend but was limited in the ring.  HOOK is a face in peril for the first time in his career.  2.0 are great as a heel tagteam.  They are the Canadian Midnight Express.  Bronson is a fun Robert Gibson.  Double Tazmissions!  Hook was good as a sympathetic babyface.  Hook IS Ricky Morton!  That was good because Menard and Parker can carry to guys really well and Hook is all dynamic and shit.  Action Bronson IS Parker Boudreaux!  AWESOME!  SMART MARK STERLING!  OUTLAW THE POWERBOMB!  Jesus, this is going to be an ass beating.  Awesome!  Josh Woods and Wardlow are manhandling each other.  WardJoe is pretty neat.  I REALLY want to see Josh Woods versus Wardlow.  That was the best part of the match.  Rey Fenix is secretly turning heel, right?  He is wrestling rudo early as Jungle Boy goes all Lucha early.  He works on the taped up lower back.  I wonder if Death Triangle turn evil and join forces with Andrade and Rush?  That would be cool.  NICE Brainbuster by Jungle Boy.  This match is GREAT. They have a chop challenge as we are in picture in picture.  This match is big wads of psychology.  I wasn't expecting that.  Rey Fenix is channeling RUSH.  I want to see Jungle Boy versus Rey Fenix- hair versus mask.  AWESOME ESCALARA by Fenix!  JB STEALS WILL OSPREAY'S FINISHER! FOR TWO!  Great fucking nearfall on JB's K-Driller!  GREAT LOVE MACHINE SPLASH BY FENIX!  MAN!  What a GREAT FINISH!  That match was fucking GREAT!  Christian is a better version of MJF!  Eddie Kingston is going to beat the fudge out of Sammy Guevara.  Is Sammy going to lose twice in a row?  Kingston BUMPS LIKE KENTA KOBASHI OFF THE APRON TO THE FLOOR!  Sammy is fucking GREAT in this match.  I love that Sammy is bringing enough ass beat to get the crowd behind Kingston's STRUGGLE to escape the smarmy offense of Sammy!  Kingston goes COMPLETELY KING'S ROAD on his comeback.  I love his Kawada sell of the two knees to the head.  STRETCH PLUM for the win!  THEN! SAMMY WINS!  Kingston IS Wardlow!  That was GREAT!  SAMMY WINS! SAMMY WINS!  SAMMY WINS!  This Diamante/Jade Cargill match is better than I figured.  I hate battle royals but here we go.  Hey!  It's Brian Cage!  It's Danhausen!  It's the BOYS!  Okay, I love this battle royal.  It's LANCE ARCHER!  It's Jake Hagar!  It's PRINCE NANA!  This battle royal is like the first five episodes of the ROH tv show in all they are setting up.  I am most interested in Lee Moriarty vs Daniel Garcia.  Dalton Castle eliminates Brian Cage so Brian Cage and the Gates of Agony are getting the ROH six man titles.  RUSH! RUSH! RUSH! BOOOO! NOT RUSH!  That was fun.  HOBBS AND STARKS!  (Folks are definitely leaving to get the last subway to Yonkers.  Or something.)  They are wrestling for the hardcores and the night owls and that rules.  Hobbs is great going up for the Rolling DDT.  Jericho is great being the defender of honor!  Starks takes the bump on the edges of the chairs.  JAYZEUS!  OKLAHOMA STAMPEDE ONTO THE PILE OF CHAIRS!  Jayzeus, Starks is almost crazier than Darby Allin.  Starks gets the gigantic Hobbs up for the Rochambeau FOR THE WIN!  Hobbs was awesome going up for Starks offense.  Starks was awesome taking all the fucking insane bumps.  I think the Jungle Boy/Rey Fenix match edges out the Kingston/Sammy match for match of the night.  All them were at least fun, most were really good.  JB/Fenix was totally GREAT.  So was Kingston/Sammy.  But yeah, JB/Fenix was like a good Lucha Libre (RUSH) match.  Jiminy Crickets, AEW RULES THE MOTHERFUCKING WORLD.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Blue Dragon said:

Watched most of it, kinda skipped bunch of the Jungle Boy match, didn't watch the main. Most parts I saw were alright.

Happy to see Sting and Muta reunited. 

Jungle Boy match was the best match of the night.

• Like 4

Considering the chaotic cuts during Dynamite I was impressed at how well the battle royale was produced. They focused mostly on hardcam and had the spots dead center in the ring. Jay Lethal was great, and  the Rush/Page stuff was pretty wild. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Genuinely don't know if Julia missing the table or Darby and Brody taking a totally uncontrolled bump off the stage was nastier.

Muta showing up ruled but seeing him hobble down the ramp did not put me in a mood to see him wrestle.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Kingston going full rabid Kawada was totally great.  The only thing missing was the Ganso Bomb on an official to draw a fine and suspension.  I am totally down with an angle where Kingston has a 8-44 record because he's constantly getting DQed for excessive violence after the bell.

Muta came out and I was twelve years old again.  Then I saw the grey in his beard and regretfully advanced in time to my current age.  For a minute I thought we were going to get the Shining Wizard, but Matthews blundered backwards into the Stinger DDT.  Probably a good thing since it took Muta like twenty minutes to get to the ring.

Is Julia Hart taking bumping advice from Darby Allin?  Because she really should stop doing that shit before she ends up crippled.

That Lights Out match was depressingly blood free.  At least Starks took those bumps as if he already had the proper number of cortisone shots waiting for him backstage.

I co-sign Jungle Boy having the best performance of the card.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Genuinely don't know if Julia missing the table or Darby and Brody taking a totally uncontrolled bump off the stage was nastier.

Muta showing up ruled but seeing him hobble down the ramp did not put me in a mood to see him wrestle.

Julia Hart.

Yeah, The Great Muta has some of the most knackered knees in wrestling history like Kenta Kobashi. Curse of the Moonsault. No wonder he's retiring.

Edited by The Natural

9 minutes ago, Blue Dragon said:

He is retring because of his hips and other problems. He had his knees fixed years ago.

Isn't it more a combo of this and what happened to Ohtani? I'm reminded that at one point he wanted to wrestle until he died in the ring until it happened to Misawa.

Popped big for MUTA! Thrilled I managed to avoid that as I had no idea that was coming, super cool to see Muta in AEW and with Sting. the Julia bump was insane. 

Joe and Wardlow would make a badass killer team if they stuck together. Jungle/Fenix was awesome, got a ton of time so it felt important.

Diamante didn't get much, and Trina turns heel! The OG Baddie joins the Baddies. 

Battle royal was fun. Nice to see Brian Cage make a rare appearance and Archer back. The near-elimination at the very end was wild, had me wanting Rush to pull it off but he already had his Mox match. Hangman/Moxley is fresh at least.

Solid main event from Starks/hobbs and a nice win for Starks. Even at 2 hours, Rampage still flies by more than any other.

• Like 8

I am kinda tired from marking out nonstop for two hours Thursday morning, then again today. QMQEQN6.gif

That's me. Basically. For two straight hours. Excepting the referee angle after the Kingston match.

I want AEW to bring in Tay Melo's sweet, fluffy sister Marsha. 

I can't help but wonder how New Japan feels about Muta showing up in AEW. i don't care, I just wonder. Glad I avoided spoilers! I popped for that. Not too sure I'll pop as hard for him in the ring, but we'll see soon enough I suppose. 

I was kind of hoping that Chono would do a leisurely stroll-in to save Jungle Lad.

Was Hobbs doing a Glacier tribute?

Brody King! You did a Sting fling!

A LOT of crazy, scary bumps today! Sting, Julia,Darby, Brody King, Kingston, Starks...

Awesome show. Hope everyone is OK.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2