DVDVR Message Board

Grand Slam II - Rampage - 9/23/2022

Dolfan in NYC

Live, on tape, from Arthur Ashe Stadium! 

TWO HOURS OF POWER~!  (so check your DVR settings because your significant other probably wants to go out tomorrow night)

The Card:

25 Man Grand Slam Battle Royale for the #1 Contendership To The AEW Championship *

FOR THE TBS CHAMPIONSHIP - Jade Cargill (c) vs. Diamante

NO DQ MATCH - Sting / Darby Allin vs. Buddy Matthews / Brody King

LIGHTS OUT MATCH - Powerhouse Hobbs vs. Ricky Starks

Eddie Kingston vs. Sammy Guevara

Ray Fenix vs. Jungle Boy

Wardlow / Samoa Joe vs. Tony Nese / Josh Woods

Action Bronson / Hook vs. Jericho Appreciation Society (Menard / Parker)

--

* - Winner gets a title shot on the first Tuesday Dynamite, October 18th. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Live, on tape, from Arthur Ashe Stadium! 

TWO HOURS OF POWER~!  (so check your DVR settings because your significant other probably wants to go out tomorrow night)

The Card:

25 Man Grand Slam Battle Royale for the #1 Contendership To The AEW Championship *

LIGHTS OUT MATCH - Eddie Kingston vs. Sammy Guevara

Powerhouse Hobbs vs. Ricky Starks

Ray Fenix vs. Jungle Boy

--

* - Winner gets a title shot on the first Tuesday Dynamite, October 18th. 

@Dolfan in NYC: Powerhouse Hobbs vs. Ricky Starks is the Lights Out match, not Eddie Kingston vs. Sammy Guevara. Cheers.

Edited by The Natural
  • Thanks 1

I hope I like AEW Rampage Grand Slam 2022 more than AEW Dynamite Grand Slam 2022 because it was very disappointing to me as was AEW All Out 2022. It's a feeling I don't normally get with AEW. In spoiler tags for those who haven't seen it yet:

Spoiler

Acclaimed vs. Swerve in our Glory had a much better match at All Out 2022, the audible needed to be called then and there. Moxley vs. Danielson wasn't even close to the Revolution 2022 match, that was a MOTYC unlike this. The wrong guy won. The frequent shots of MJF watching didn't help either. I didn't like Mox kicking out of two running knees. Ending felt rushed, a common issue with AEW is timings. This wasn't worth watching live.

---

From this show, I'm most looking forward to Sting/Darby Allin vs. House of Black, Eddie Kingston vs. Sammy Guevara and Powerhouse Hobbs vs. Ricky Starks. Hope the Lights Out match is more of one than Orange Cassidy vs. Adam Cole which was so underwhelming.

1 hour ago, DEAN said:

Loving... Longing....

I have an incredible idea: When Takeshita returns to AEW when he makes his entrance you do the gimmick where they parachute packages from the rafters down onto fans that's popular at sporting events with the packages being boxes of Cinnabons.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm not spoiled on whatever the spoiler is for this show, but I've seen a couple of tweets/posts making allusions to it (I'm not gonna quote them in case it somehow gives it away) and I just have no idea what they could be talking about.

Apparently it's good, though!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Krone Meltzer said:

I think it's about time we start having some serious talks about Daddy Magic and his promos. This man is a red hot chili pepper when it comes to selling matches.

THAT is motherfucking PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING.  DADDY MAGIC is so fucking great.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Only tangentially related to the main spoiler but 

Spoiler

Julia Hart took a nasty table bump off of the apron where she missed most of  it and seemed to land on an unprotected part of the floor headfirst. No injury news so I guess she’s fine, but it looked gnarly on the fancams.

2 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Only tangentially related to the main spoiler but 

Hide contents

Julia Hart took a nasty table bump off of the apron where she missed most of  it and seemed to land on an unprotected part of the floor headfirst. No injury news so I guess she’s fine, but it looked gnarly on the fancams.

She got a tattoo so I guess she is okay.

• Like 1

It feels a little silly to write up how I'm looking forward to these when there are spoilers out there (even if I haven't been spoiled) but we'll do it quickly.

I like Battle Royals! Lots of guys get to interact with one another. I'm glad Archer's back doing some stuff. Hopefully Rush is a dick to everyone and does something that completely defies logic. I feel bad for Alex Reynolds.

Presumably this will be a mauling. I think Diamante's looked fine for the most part on Dark/Elevation but she doesn't seem like she's on a hot streak or anything. I liked this more when I thought it'd lead to a Martinez match.

We all know what to expect here. I will say that I'm looking forward to Matthews specifically interacting with these guys.

LIGHTS OUT MATCH - Powerhouse Hobbs vs. Ricky Starks

There needs to be something special here, something memorable. They honestly need Starks to get to the next level somehow. More so than ever. And I want him to get there.

Eddie Kingston vs. Sammy Guevara

Kind of weird situation as this was where all the legit heat was a few weeks ago. And hey, now they're doing business. I'd make this the main event? It's definitely what everyone's looking forward to the most. Eddie should try to kill him. Sammy should use his anger and sneak away and get quick, high impact stuff in. Eddie should eat it until Sammy makes a mistake. More violence should ensue. I really want him to use the rosary beads as a weapon. We shall see.

Ray Fenix vs. Jungle Boy

Good, spotty fun. I'm less annoyed by this pairing than other potential pairings, I guess?

Most interested in how Joe and Wardlow interact, what sort of tandem offense they do, lingering on the tags, etc.

There have been articles about Bronson in the last week. I have not read them. I still don't know who he is in any real sense. I'm sure 2.0 will make this very entertaining though.

All Wrestling* is so much better than All Elite Wrestling

*with hangman in battle royal purgatory.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, DEAN said:

THAT is motherfucking PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING.  DADDY MAGIC is so fucking great.

I am constantly torn between wanting to see not-2.0 get pushed because they are awesome and wanting them to continue eating massive ass-beatings because they're great at it.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Presumably this will be a mauling. I think Diamante's looked fine for the most part on Dark/Elevation but she doesn't seem like she's on a hot streak or anything. I liked this more when I thought it'd lead to a Martinez match.

I know I'm a broken record, but they really have no idea what to do with Jade, which has also helped contribute to her becoming super stale. Honestly, if they're not going to have more than 2 matches a week, they should unify the belts.

• Like 1

Somehow I missed that there was a stipulation on the Hobbs-Starks match. I was thinking you give Starks a quick win here, then do a rubber match with a stip as a Dynamite main event, with minimal rematch fatigue because the first two matches would have both been short.

35 minutes ago, Blue Dragon said:

If they taped Rampage at Daily's Place it would be better for the show.

I think just going back to taping Dark & Elevation in a studio and thus cutting like an hour off the taping time would help a lot.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1