DVDVR Message Board

Award Season 2023

RIPPA

2 hours ago, Mister TV said:

Notable cuts from the In Memoriam were Tom Sizemore, Paul Sorvino, Ann Heche, Gilbert Gottfried and Charlbi Dean who was in Best Picture nom Triangle of Sadness. It's pretty weak all five of them were left out.

Was really surprised about them missing Sorvino, because one of the more affecting moments in an In Memoriam segment at one of the precursors (maybe the Globes?) was recognizing Liotta and him back to back with both sides of the "now I have to turn my back on you" scene from Goodfellas. 

It’d be interesting to know how close to broadcast they have to lock the In Memorium video. And if someone VERY IMPORTANT (Spielberg, Hanks level) died right before the ceremony, that would be probably just end up being mentioned on the show anyway. 

I think the most galling thing about the "In Memoriam" segment was saving a former president of the academy for last. No casual viewer cares about that and they really should've ended it on James Caan and put the former somewhere in the middle.

James

• 2 months later...

The Tonys will not air on Television as the WGA denied the producers of the show a strike waiver that would have allowed the June 11 broadcast to take place

Due to how much Broadway relies on the broadcast to push ticket sales of shows - an emergency meeting is being held today to decide what their next steps are (one of the options is delaying the show until the strike is over)

On 5/15/2023 at 8:22 AM, RIPPA said:

The Tonys will not air on Television as the WGA denied the producers of the show a strike waiver that would have allowed the June 11 broadcast to take place

Due to how much Broadway relies on the broadcast to push ticket sales of shows - an emergency meeting is being held today to decide what their next steps are (one of the options is delaying the show until the strike is over)

To follow up on this - apparently the Tony producers were willing to make changes to the production that the WGA requested and in doing so - the WGA said they would no longer picket the production and the broadcast apparently will proceed.

The one in 2007 lasted 3-4 months, this one is expected to be longer. What little I see on Twitter suggests that it’s not going well. One report was that the stalled productions have already cost studios more money than the WGA is asking for 

• 1 month later...

In a move clearly targeted at Indie movies and movies that are on Streaming services - the Academy has changed the rules for what movies are eligible to be nominated for Best Picture

Old Rule

Movie must have one-week theatrical release in one of the six qualifying U.S. cities (Los Angeles, San Francisco, New York City, Chicago, Miami, and Atlanta).

New Rule

Movie must have an “expanded theatrical run of seven days, consecutive or non-consecutive, in 10 of the top 50 U.S. markets, no later than 45 days after the initial release.” The Academy also announced that “for late-in-the-year films with expansions after January 10, distributors must submit release plans to the Academy for verification.” Their expanded theatrical run must be finished no later than January 24. Non-U.S. territory releases can count towards two of the 10 markets.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I love Natasha Lyonne getting nominated for Poker Face

I don't like Poker Face being passed in its category. I also don't understand why it got submitted for Outstanding Comedy.

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds getting totally ignored is beyond baffling!

James

1 hour ago, Log said:

I guess they just really needed a fifth nominee for limited series. That's the only reasoning I can see for Obi Wan getting a nomination.

And THE PATIENT was right there.

7 hours ago, J.H. said:

I don't like Poker Face being passed in its category. I also don't understand why it got submitted for Outstanding Comedy.

Because Lyonne is very obviously funny. And maybe attempting to break through in a very crowded drama field. 

Poker Face and maybe The Bear should be in drama. White Lotus is a comedy. 

3 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Because Lyonne is very obviously funny. And maybe attempting to break through in a very crowded drama field. 

Poker Face and maybe The Bear should be in drama. White Lotus is a comedy. 

I thought the same thing about The Bear and White Lotus. Only conclusion I could come to is that they didn't want the Bear competing with BCS, Succession, and the Last of Us. And they didn't want White Lotus competing with the Bear.

Beyond happy Ebon Moss-Bachrach got nominated.

BTW, can someone explain (lol, no one can explain this) why Rhea Seahorn got nominated for best supporting actress and not best actress? She's the co-star of the fucking show and has nearly equal screen time as Bob Odenkirk.

Also a little surprised Jamie Lee Curtis didn't get nominated for the Bear. Or Oliver Platt.

The one category being only Succession or White Lotus actors is funny.

3 minutes ago, Craig H said:

BTW, can someone explain (lol, no one can explain this) why Rhea Seahorn got nominated for best supporting actress and not best actress? She's the co-star of the fucking show and has nearly equal screen time as Bob Odenkirk.

She chose to submit there. She is supporting, even though she's by far the biggest such part on the show. This keeps her out of the way of Sarah Snook or any other potential surprise there. Now watch them give it to Jennifer Coolidge again since everyone's been having so much fun with that. 

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Also a little surprised Jamie Lee Curtis didn't get nominated for the Bear.

This is for the first season of The Bear, JLC isn't eligible. 

• Thanks 1